Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military CQB training.

Options
  • 13-09-2006 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if any of you guys here are into CQB training? I'm not from a military background myself. But I've been into CQB (hand to hand side) for a few years now. I've been training with a few ex-military personnel from the UK – I think it's really great. Just wondering does anyone else feel the same way? :)
    I've been trying to follow in the footsteps of W.E. Fairbain, Dermot “Pat” O'Neil and Rex Applegate. (basically all the Godfathers of modern Combatives training)

Cheers,

Baggio.

PS - I've been posting on the Martial Arts forum (self-defence section of Boards) but nobody seems interested in this type of training.:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

CQB???

Close Quarter..... whats the B for, Battle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Yep, the B is for Battle. :)

It's also known as CQC (Close Quarters Combat) or just plain "Combatives". I was wondering if there are any Military or Ex-military guys out there interested in having a rap about it.

It seems to have taken off in the UK (although it's still pretty underground) but not over here. I've been doing Martial Arts for years but when I discovered CQB I was hooked.
    Cheers,

Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Kinda OT i suppose, but would Krav Maga be considered a type of CQB, considering it was developed by the Israeli Spec Forces,

Ye, iv bin interested but too lazy to actually do anything, jus looking about the internet really, picking up little hints and tips that mite come in handy if someone jumps me or starts on me while im out for a pint or something, that would be about it though.

Krav Maga I suppose is technically a form of Combatives as its intended purpose was designed for the military (although it is also taught to civilians these days).

But personally I'd be more into the stuff that was used during WW II as it's been pressure tested numerous times, and proven to work under real combat conditions. I think it's by far the best, and most of the modern units (including special forces such as the SAS) base their unarmed combat curriculum on it.

I see you are from Kildare, me too. Do you train down here?

Cheers,

Robert.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Nah, I dont train at all anymore, i used to do a bit here and there but im gone to lazy now and very much out of fitness/shape, I used to do a bit of ninjitsu about 8 or so years ago, got to a green belt standard but never graded for it!, now i tend to just sit about doing nothing:o

As I said I have more of an observatory interest in it now, just little bits and pieces that would be of use if someone was to start an argument or something while I was out
    Apologies to the Mod for being slightly OT with regard to forum.

• Advertisement

Apologies to the Mod for being slightly OT with regard to forum.

No worries...:) Just good to be having an old chinwag.

R.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ah yes...

I remember posting on that thread.:)

Very OT here, but are you a HP Lovecraft fan?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I have played the odd game of Call of Cthulu/Delta Green, and will be getting a cuddly Cthulu for the wife next Christmas, but otherwise, not particularly, why?

NTM

It's just that I don't see many people mentioning Cthulhu now days...:D So I was just wondering.

I'm a mad RPG'er... I love Delta Green, and of course Call of Cthulhu.

Cheers,

R.

• Advertisement
Advertisement