Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult, unspecific thought

Options
  • 13-09-2006 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Do you think all living things are interlinked across time and space at some level in being able to perceive the universe? I never existed in the 15th century but it now exists through my knowledge of it. Why do I exist now as opposed to then excluding the obvious explanatory factors of probable and random events combining through history to give rise to my consciousness? Why are you who you are and I who I am, could we be part of some super space consciousness? Its just a weird thought that crosses my mind sometimes which Im unable to finish, ie give valid reasons to back up. But the question of why I am here right now and why Im me in being the sole reason for why the universe exists through my perception of it (the same going for anyone else of course), and the fact that I will one day not exist just as I had not existed is a bit odd. I didnt and will not someday exist but I exist now. Why was I plonked here to exist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Do you think all living things are interlinked across time and space at some level in being able to perceive the universe?
    I never existed in the 15th century but it now exists through my knowlege of it.

I'd say more like your knowledge of it exists through your experience. People know what unicorns are, but the knowledge doesn't give it reality.
    Why do I exist now as opposed to then excluding the obvious explanatory factors of probable and random events combining through history to give rise to my consciousness?

Why exclude that explanation? Maybe use fate as an explanation.
    I'd go with: The conditions at the start of the universe were exactly what would be needed for you to become at this time.
    Why are you who you are and I who I am, could we be part of some super space consciousness? Its just a weird thought that crosses my mind sometimes which Im unable to finish, ie give valid reasons to back up.

(I'm assuming that by 'you' and 'I', you are refering to ego.)
    Because your consciousness was brought here in your body, in the environment you experience. During the course of your experiences you create different ideas and gain certain reaction mechanisms for dealing with things. These traits become you.
    But underlying all these gained ideas and reactions I think there is a purer unfiltered consciousness that everyone has which is not 'them' as they know themselves. I couldn't tell you if they're linked or the exact same as I only have the one and have not experienced anything which suggests linkage.
    But the question of why I am here right now and why Im me in being the sole reason for why the universe exists through my perception of it (the same going for anyone else of course), and the fact that I will one day not exist just as I had not existed is a bit odd. I didnt and will not someday exist but I exist now.

Did the universe create consciousness to experience itself or did consciousness create the universe to experience? I do wonder. Maybe they were working together.

Yeah things are pretty odd. But it's kinda funny.
    Why was I plonked here to exist?

I Don't know!

Nice post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

18AD wrote:
    I'd say more like your knowledge of it exists through your experience. People know what unicorns are, but the knowledge doesn't give it reality.

Why exclude that explanation? Maybe use fate as an explanation.
    I'd go with: The conditions at the start of the universe were exactly what would be needed for you to become at this time.

(I'm assuming that by 'you' and 'I', you are refering to ego.)
    Because your consciousness was brought here in your body, in the environment you experience. During the course of your experiences you create different ideas and gain certain reaction mechanisms for dealing with things. These traits become you.
    But underlying all these gained ideas and reactions I think there is a purer unfiltered consciousness that everyone has which is not 'them' as they know themselves. I couldn't tell you if they're linked or the exact same as I only have the one and have not experienced anything which suggests linkage.

Did the universe create consciousness to experience itself or did consciousness create the universe to experience? I do wonder. Maybe they were working together.

Yeah things are pretty odd. But it's kinda funny.

I Don't know!

Nice post ;)

ok, I guess physically the 15th century still exists in that (a) someone 600 light years away will just come to knowledge of it now, (does that mean that if the universe is near infinite, nearly all time periods will continue to exist informationally?)(b) its effects are still being felt here even if they are minimal, e.g. political institutions then have an effect on the current ones now through history, same goes for geology etc. But none of this would exist if we werent there to percieve it, well it would exist but it also wouldnt for us and thats what is important. The interesting thing is that if I didnt exist, someone else would be perceiving it, or something else like a dog in my place. Which would almost lead to me to think that in some way sentient entities are like neurons in a massive computer brain which is the universe. when we die we become absorbed within the conciousness program and become the universe(?)/God. Bleh thats conjecture on my part, not any proof for God or the afterlife, both of which Im fairly agnostic about.

One thing I do notice is that yes there are two parts to consciouness in my experience. I recognise that there is an immutable part to my self awareness and that there is an external projection from this formed by it in terms of the rational choices it made in relation to experiences, they are entangled but its this immutable part, the operating system of my personality as opposed to the interface which would lead me to consider the whole sentience, why is a person who they are in this time and place question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement