Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarded up/derelict pubs in Dublin

Options
  • 13-09-2006 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hello all... I've an art project on the go and was wondering if anyone knows of any boarded up or derelict old pubs in the city or suburbs? Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

There is one in Inchicore. Cant think of the name of it now- its just before St Pats as you head out of town. It went on fire I think.

Just did a search- it was called the Horse and Jockey.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0619/fire.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

should be one on francis st. as well - dont think it ever re-opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Theres one across from DIT Aungier St, its been derelict for a good 15 years now (so I'm told)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is that one on camdem street opposite aungiers treet still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

There is a couple of derelict pubs around the Pearse Street area. The Countess bar on Townsend Street, hasnt been open in years. Birminghams on Hogans place, just around the corner from Holles Street. The Widow Scanlon's on Pearse Street closed but I think it's in the process of refurbishment. Oh and probably the most famous of all, the Docker's pub on the quay's closed down about 2 years ago but I don't know if they are doing anything to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Joxer Daly's on Dorset Street is boarded up. Think it's opposite where the Wax museum used to be.

I always get a little bit sad when I see a pub that's been shut down.. I often wonder what the history of it is, and where all the aul' locals went..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Wasn't the Dockers demolished to make way for the O2 HQ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭notjim

Lincoln's Inn by TCD back gate, boarded up; Gills on the NCR only opens for big games in CP. The Widow Scanlon's is gone completely, demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

The Pimlico Tavern, at the end of the Coombe, on ... Pimlico. There are a few places boarded up around there, but I don't know if they are pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

McEvoys Thatch pub in Newcastle - had a thatched roof but burned down.

• Advertisement

The lincoln inn is set to be reopened in february. guys who own pravda, ron blacks and the bailey bought it. apparently going for the student market with this one though, and they have to preserve the place a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

&#231 wrote: »
    The lincoln inn is set to be reopened in february. guys who own pravda, ron blacks and the bailey bought it. apparently going for the student market with this one though, and they have to preserve the place a lot.

I will go berzerk if it ends up like any of the pubs you mention. While I like Ron Blacks, it should be a criminal offence to reopen the Lincoln as anything other than it's magnificent old self! I used to practically live in there as a student in the late 80s.

Aye, tbh I'm worried my hopes will be shattered when they reopen, and I'll just have to switch back to kennedys/the gingerman again.
    The Lincoln’s Inn pub is set to re-open in February 2007 after planning permission for renovations was granted by Dublin City Council. Work has already begun on the pub, situated at 18/19 Lincoln Place, which is hoping to compete with the Pav for the student market.

The property is being leased from the College by the Thomas Read group trading as Sharmane Ltd. Other pubs operated by Thomas Read group include The Harbourmaster, Pravda, The Bailey and Ron Blacks, however the new Lincoln Inn is not set to become an über-trendy bar, but instead is staying true to tradition as a “pint drinker’s pub” as Eamon Fleming, Purchasing Manager for the Thomas Read group put it.

According to Mr. Fleming the pub will be very similar to the way it was before its closure. “The closest example to its style within the group would be The Oak.

The Lincoln Inn will be a traditional style pub which will serve food such as soup and sandwiches as well as pints of porter.”

Eager to break into the student market, Mr Fleming has promised much lower drinks prices than in most other Thomas Read bars. Demonstrating its commitment to Trinity the Thomas Read Group has already sponsored the Trinity GAA Club for the year. Once the Lincoln Inn is reopened in February the team’s jerseys will carry the logo of one of Dublin’s oldest pubs.

When asked what the new competition will mean for The Pav, Chairman of the Pavilion Bar Committee, Tom Murphy, stated that “The Pavilion is constrained by the College Alcohol Policy and so cannot compete by offering cheap drinks deals and various other offers”. However he stated that he was not too worried about competition from the Lincoln Inn and hoped to form a good relationship similar to that The Pav has with Kennedy’s. He added “with the closure of The Buttery, The Pav is the only licensed premises on campus and so this should serve us well into the future.”

The Lincoln Inn became the subject of interest to students in 2004 when it became known that the College was putting the building up for lease. For a number of months it was speculated that the Students Union might take over the Lincoln Inn and operate it as a student centre. At a board meeting in November 2004, Francis Kieran, SU President at the time, noted “the importance of the Lincoln Inn to students.” He also stated that “the views of students [should] be taken into consideration by any new tenant of the property”

As the Lincoln Inn is a listed building, Dublin City Council has set a number of restrictions on what the new proprietors can and cannot change. The front of the building must remain largely the same, although there will be new glazed doors, and the Carlsberg sign will be removed. Above all DCC were adamant that any work should include “the conservation and repair of existing historical features.” An objection to Dublin City Council from the Dublin Dental School & Hospital delayed movement on renovations, but with work due to start in coming weeks Trinity will soon have a new bar hoping to host society and club events open in time for RAG Week.

Not many people know that the Lincoln Inn was the last pub in Dublin to offer credit to regulars. Let’s hope they bring the slate back for us impoverished students!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The Budabar near Blanch Centre has been getting "renovated" for two years now. Fairly new bar so I doubt it would really qualify on the "oul Dublin towen" angle.

Odd how the renovations started soon after a 17 year old who had been drinking in the pub stabbed an older man to death in the car park. It was the second death there in as many years but Im still suprised nothing has been done with the building.

I took the 78A to Liffey Valley the other week, the route is like the land the Celtic Tiger forgot, boarded up businesses everywhere, so Im sure yid find a few around the Guinness Brewery area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

man of aran in harolds cross is closed a long time and valence and mcgrath in the docks is now permanently closed. jack humphreys/the five lamps is closed but opening mid 2007. there is a pub down from the seabank house ineast wall that has been derilict for years i cant remember the name and the last time i was in the east point business park the spinnaker was closed, and the best pub on the northside the dollymount house is boarded up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Spinnaker is the name of the building that the pub, shop and coffee shop are in isn't it?

The pub called The EPicentre, on the upper level, is back open, has been for about a year I think. I was there last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

maybe the building is the spinnaker i was sure the pub was called the spinnaker, its been 2 years since i was in the east point bus. pk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Farrells on New Street/Clanbrassil Street dublin 8

Believe there was a shooting there, that is the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Love2love wrote:
    Birminghams on Hogans place, just around the corner from Holles Street.

Bermingham's is being refurbished at the moment. Due to re-open as a restaurant.
    Farther afield - The Black Raven in Skerries. Signs in the window stating "Opening Soon Under New Management" have been there for around 9 months now. No great loss really.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect there are relatively few. The number of pubs in Dublin is growing, but it is falling in the rest of the country.
    is that one on camdem street opposite aungiers treet still there?
    Digges Street Upper and Aungier Street. Fine stone and brick corner building.

A fine comparison is the Cornerstone pub (at Kevin Street), which was renovated a few years ago. Fine cut stone on the ground floor that had been covered in paint for decades. They kept a small section of the paint for contrast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement