Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Apple iTunes Movie Download

• 13-09-2006 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

For “Near DVD” (according to Apple) quality movies (joke – we’re talking 640 x 480 px resolution) for $15 a pop, willing takers (suckers) should visit http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/movies.html

Totally dummed down in resolution terms because like Ireland, very few people in the US have fast broadband in their homes. A third world infrastructure. Cheaper to buy the DVD and get much better quality too. Rip-off!

probe

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

probe wrote:
    For “Near DVD” (according to Apple) quality movies (joke – we’re talking 640 x 480 px resolution) ...
    PAL DVD frames are 720x576; NTSC are 720x480. That makes a 640x480 video 89% of the width and either 83% or 100% of the height of a DVD picture. I don't think "near DVD" is all that wide of the mark.

Not sure what the relevance is to Ireland Offline, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Actually, it's $9.99 for movies. Only new releases are $14.99 directly after they're released, and you can pre-order them for $12.99.

Is it a ripoff? Yes. Slightly less so than a DVD? Perhaps. The funny thing is, the reason not all studios are on board is that many studios thought it was far too cheap, and wanted Apple to charge more!

I will continue saying it's too expensive until DVD's and online downloads drop to below $5 a pop.

Anyway, personally I prefer renting DVD's. I think that's the best value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I thought I saw someone mention that the movies are not available in Ireland.

I'm sure they will come up with rental DRM soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Beh, maybe if they were all in HD or something. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Beh, maybe if they were all in HD or something. :/

Imagine the file sizes, you'd probably need a fibre connection to download them within a reasonable amount of time. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I really dunno where this belongs, but I figured that Broadband was probably 1 of the categories. Moved from IoffL

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not sure why probe posted this since only people in the states can access this service as it doesn't go international till next year :)

I'm sure he made the same argument for their TV service, but look at it now 220 tv shows available (up from 5) and its very popular.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

oscarBravo wrote:
    Not sure what the relevance is to Ireland Offline, mind.
    The purpose of the posting was to show the impact of slow broadband speeds (eg 10 Mbits/sec stuff and less) on the multi-media industry in general and video in particular.

It is a strategic issue and has less relevance in the forum to which the posting has been hijacked.

probe

Imagine the file sizes, you'd probably need a fibre connection to download them within a reasonable amount of time. :eek:
    While fibre would be best, it would be manageable with VDSL2 running at not less than say 100 Mbits/sec.

probe

Cabaal wrote:
    Not sure why probe posted this since only people in the states can access this service as it doesn't go international till next year
    At the expense of tautology - the purpose of the posting was to show the impact of slow broadband speeds (eg 10 Mbits/sec stuff and less) on the multi-media industry in general and video in particular.

It is a strategic issue and has less relevance in the forum to which the posting has been hijacked.

probe

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you'd made that point in the original post, the thread would have been less likely to have been "hijacked".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

torrents anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Should I start downloading on Dial-up now for it to be available to me by Christmas? :eek: Pity because this and music downloading from the iTunes sites are now something else we have to do without in Dial-up country, listening to the same CD captured tracks on the iPod has taken the glamour off it big time. stupid damn country with no bleedin broadband.

Advertisement