Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds v sunderland with scores

• 13-09-2006 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭

keano's boys are 3-0 up and its teh Irish boys who have scored them all. Miller,Kavanagh and Elliot got them all. Maybe Keane knows what he's doin after all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Three boarderline prem players scoring. Nice. I was delighted when Keane got the job, and im delighted its going well for him so far. Will he stand the test of time tho? I hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Well done Keano!

Seems to be getting off to a great start, but can he keep it going?

Hopefully he can get the team on a bit of a run now. He has a very decent team for the championship.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Kevin Blackwell OUT!!!!

Seriously with the squad of players at Leeds we should not be losing to the likes of Sunderland. Time for a new manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Leeds have gotten off to a shocker so far. Dont think Blackwell is good enough, but neither is leeds squad.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Leeds have gotten off to a shocker so far. Dont think Blackwell is good enough, but neither is leeds squad.

Its certainly a top 6 squad and not a bottom 6 squad. Dont be surprised to see Blackwell gone in the next 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Coventry and b'ham next isnt it? Lose at coventry and he will be gone probaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Go on Keano, good result.
    Winning breeds confidence so hopefully the Sunderland players will be starting to believe now!

Re leeds, the club has no transfer budget, and can only loan players. In fairness i think blackwell has done a good job. With what he has. I believe leeds' debt figure will be 5m by the end of the season which is better than some premiership clubs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

sofireland wrote:
    Re leeds, the club has no transfer budget, and can only loan players. In fairness i think blackwell has done a good job. With what he has. I believe leeds' debt figure will be 5m by the end of the season which is better than some premiership clubs...

Where you get that? Leeds has spent a good few million in the last season or so bringing in players, Healy etc. They have had a transfer budget and seemed to spend it all on strikers when they should have paided out to bring Miller back to them after the great sucess he was last season.(even thou a few leeds fans said it was a terrible signing, haha Kingp will never let you live that one down)

They have a number of good young player like Killagannon etc and Eddie Lewis on the wing is one of the best players in the Championship(also a signing for a few quid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Kingp35 wrote:
    Its certainly a top 6 squad and not a bottom 6 squad. Dont be surprised to see Blackwell gone in the next 2 weeks.

Dont be surprised to see him in the dole q before their next game :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

TOTR result last night, regardless of the form of leeds.

Leicester at home now for the mackems on saturday, I bet there will be a few more bums on seats given the last few results which is great for the team. Its also his 1st home game :D

Gooo on the Keano!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Big Nelly wrote:
    should have paided out to bring Miller back to them after the great sucess he was last season.

Didn't Miller say a couple of times last year that he didn't want to stay at E.R. and that he preferred to stay at Man U? Granted, Man U didn't want him...

Didn't Miller say a couple of times last year that he didn't want to stay at E.R. and that he preferred to stay at Man U? Granted, Man U didn't want him...

Already discussed, Miller went to Leeds and was supposed to stay till Jan, before Jan he was in every paper and website saying he was leaving Leeds and that he wanted to return to Utd because without Keane it was his best chance to get into the first team even thou Leeds had said they wanted him to stay

Suddenly there was quiet for a week and next thing a small report was released by Leeds saying he was staying with leeds till the end of the season and Miller didn't even comment. As most people said at the time even thou the dire needs Utd had for a midfielder Fergie had told Miller there was no point in him returning to Utd because he wouldnt get playing and that was the end of story. After that Miller was never in any paper or anywhere saying he wanted to fight for his place at Utd.

Just think of it this way, Keane took how long to get him to Sunderland after he joined them? Leeds had all summer to make that move and it wasnt Utd where holding onto him, they quite happily let him go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

In fairness, Blackwell has done a decent job considering the state of the club since being relegated. With a different manager they could easily have went down again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Ok, so Leeds have a budget somewhat for transfers, but face it its a tight one at that.

Considering they were close to 100m in debt at one stage, Bates et al have done a good job.

Look at sunderland, 3 wins and they're mid table again, tis a little early to be calling for Blackwells head imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

leeds have had one of the strongest teams in the champo in the last two years and Blackwell has ****ed it all up. They should be in the PL. It was Bates who got rid of the debt anyway...not Blackwell. It's Bates who is running the show.

Hoddle or Curbs to take over the hot seat if they loose to Coventry

I am sure Preston fans will strongly disagree with the people here who claim leeds have had a small transfer budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kavanagh man of the match in his 2 games for Sunderland. Definitely much too good for the championship. Sunderland fans reckon they've got the signing of the season. :)

"I can see him single handedly destroying Leicester."

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=161025

Goals:
    http://www.zippyvideos.com/9471548825986126/sunderland_3_leeds_0/

eirebhoy wrote:
    Kavanagh man of the match in his 2 games for Sunderland. Definitely much too good for the championship. Sunderland fans reckon they've got the signing of the season.

When I was complaining about the quality of Kav last season and he shouldnt play for Ireland everyone was on here saying he was the best player Wigan had all season and they rated him very highly, strange then when the first club came in for there "best" player they sold him off for 500k. Good quality championship player but not up to PL standard or to Rep of Ireland standard

Glenn Whelan has got the kick up the bum he needed and has been brillant for Shef Wed at the start of the season, hopefully sturrock has learnt from last season and doesnt make him captain, althou its hard to say I would like to see him move to a better championship team to show what he can do.

Big Nelly wrote:
    When I was complaining about the quality of Kav last season and he shouldnt play for Ireland everyone was on here saying he was the best player Wigan had all season and they rated him very highly, strange then when the first club came in for there "best" player they sold him off for 500k. Good quality championship player but not up to PL standard or to Rep of Ireland standard
    Of course he's up to premiership level. He was excellent last season bar the last month or 2. "Best player"? That's your quote, not mine. Wigan got in Landzaat so Kavanagh was dropped to the bench.

I don't understand what you and your brother have against him. He's probably not up to playing the holding role at international level but he could certainly be the difference between Sunderland winning the league and not.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I don't understand what you and your brother have against him. He's probably not up to playing the holding role at international level but he could certainly be the difference between Sunderland winning the league and not.

Have nothing against him and yes he is a quality signing for Sunderland who will do great for them in the holding role with Miller bombing forward, all the signing Keane have made are good ones, my point is that if he played so well for Wigan you would think they would have kept him as a squad player because as all clubs know injury's are a major problem in the PL and its always good to have a big squad. Its not like Wigan need to keep the wages down?

Any of my arguements last season was in regards to the Ireland squad and you have just agreed with my point last season which you constantly argued with me about, he is not up to international level now but last season you said he was, what has changed?

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Have nothing against him and yes he is a quality signing for Sunderland who will do great for them in the holding role with Miller bombing forward, all the signing Keane have made are good ones, my point is that if he played so well for Wigan you would think they would have kept him as a squad player because as all clubs know injury's are a major problem in the PL and its always good to have a big squad. Its not like Wigan need to keep the wages down?
    I couldn't tell you why they sold him but I'm sure Kav certainly wanted to join Keane at Sunderland.
    Any of my arguements last season was in regards to the Ireland squad and you have just agreed with my point last season which you constantly argued with me about, he is not up to international level now but last season you said he was, what has changed?
    Poor performances have changed my mind. He's still our best central midfielder after Reid. He's definitely better than Kilbane, O'Shea, Miller, Douglas and whoever else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Bottom line is Eirebhoy that there's a huge flaw in your argument - if Kav was so good last season why did Wigan replace him? Paul Jewell obviously doesn't agree with you about Kav's performances.

Teams just don't go out and replace their best players.

tbh, I couldn't care that Paul Jewell sold him. :) I couldn't care that Alex Ferguson picks John O'Shea. Kavanagh is our best central midfielder after Reid imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,513 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Isnt Kav old and thats why he mightnt be up to Premiership standard this year? Id agree with Eirebhoy on this one, we dont know why Jewell sold him! Could have been many reasons for him leaving that we dont know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Lemlin wrote:
    Bottom line is Eirebhoy that there's a huge flaw in your argument - if Kav was so good last season why did Wigan replace him? Paul Jewell obviously doesn't agree with you about Kav's performances.

Teams just don't go out and replace their best players.

Ermm, players get old and they don't play as many matches a season. I'd say Jewell wanted to strengthen the squad and Kav wasn't happy on the bench. At his age he wants to be playing games, not sitting on the sidelines.

Jewell was simply planning for the future and Kav was looking out for his future.

It's not exactly rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Fair enough but if a manager thinks a player is good enough at present they will keep them on regardless of age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

gustavo wrote:
    Fair enough but if a manager thinks a player is good enough at present they will keep them on regardless of age

You're missing the point. I reckon Jewell would have kept him on. I don't think Kav wanted to stay as reserve player. Jewell's position then is that they have an aging player who wants to leave to play 1st team football and who would most likely leave on a free at the end of his contract. From Wigan's point of view 500k now for a player who may play 15 full games a season is a good bit of business.

Advertisement