Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow Laptop..... why?

• 13-09-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

hi, my laptop is a :

Targa GmbH
    Mobile AMD Athlon 64
    Processor 3000+
    1.59 GHz, 512 MB of Ram

running XP with service pack 2

ever since i got broadband in the house my machine has become quite slow, i.e. skipping when playing mp3 files through itunes.

a random check on my task manager shows 48 processes and a cpu usage right now of 7% now its 2 nows its 13. but im sure its normal to vary like that. can anyone think of anything else thats slowing down my pc. its also taking longer to boot than it use too. and longer to shut down.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

it doesnt really matter if you have 7% cpu usage, whats your RAM usage? if a system hasnt got enough ram it could cause slowdown

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

right now its 379m/1246

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

Do you use firefox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Could be Warez? ;)

Em, possible malware / spyware.

Check msconfig, to see what services are running, give it a fine tune and disable uneeded services.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

yes, its using the most memory, 60,000K and i've only got 3 tabs open. but i've always used firefox. its only recently that the computer has been slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Windows eats up RAM fairly quickly, no harm in getting another stick of 512mb if you can. Have you done the usual anti-virus and anti-spyware scans? As for Firefox, it does have memory issues. I used this method to limit the amount of memory that FF uses and it works far better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to laptop forum

Advertisement