Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stone Dead

• 13-09-2006 9:30pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I hope this is in the right place, feel free to move it if it's not.

My mother's friend has had a Toshiba laptop for almost 4 years. Recently it seems to have stopped working completely, not a whimper out of it, you try to turn it on nothing happens, battery, mains, battery out with mains nothing works.

My mother rang tech support today and they pretty much said it would be uneconomical to repair it, 580 for a "new system board", plus labour and VAT, even then you only get a 3 months warranty with that.

Is it knackered? Any suggestions as to what might be going on? It is left unused for most of the summer as the person who owns it goes away on holidays and doesn't need it during that time. We had a problem with it before, think it was something like it being stuck in hibernate mode, taking the battery out and putting it back in didn't seem to work this time around though...

Anything I can try to see if it can be brought back to life?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

€50 says its the RAM in the machine....check for a little compartment on the under side of the laptop,open it using a philips head screw driver and remove the stick of ram and try turning on the machine then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Did you notice any warning signs that it was about it go? I would give replacing the RAM a shot as mentioned, or just try reseating it to start with and see if there is any difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hadn't thought of the RAM, no joy there though and I don't have any other laptop RAM to put into it to test it out.

I don't know if there were any warning signs - the owner isn't very computer literate so if I asked her what state it was in when she returned from her holidays she wouldn't remember.

Is there some button for resetting, a little tiny thing somewhere not the main one? Doesn't look good to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭frodo_dcu

I don't know if there were any warning signs - the owner isn't very computer literate so if I asked her what state it was in when she returned from her holidays she wouldn't remember.

:D:):D:):D lol lol lol
    Is there some button for resetting, a little tiny thing somewhere not the main one? Doesn't look good to be honest.

no nothing that easy, sorry no sugestions thought .. is covered on the house insureance mite at least get some money for it if its dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Hadn't thought of the RAM, no joy there though and I don't have any other laptop RAM to put into it to test it out.

No reset afaik. Before you do anything else, find where the RAM modules are located (will probably tell you in your manual), take them out and put them back in and see if there is any difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement