Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question (Well, two actually)

• 13-09-2006 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Okay, I'm not really one to nit-pick, but there have been two questions that have been really bugging me about Stargate. I'd appreciate it if someone could answer them. Oh, and please excuse me as I can't really remember episode titles.

1. Why do ZATs seem to affect people for different amounts of time? In some episodes a Jaffa is hit by one and is out for the rest of the episode, but in others, for example that one where the cadet is taken off world, and they are attacked by glowing things in the air, does the ZAt only affect for a couple of seconds. O'Neill is hit by one and 5 seconds later he is on his feet and running. Why?

2. In the episode "The Tok'ra", Sam's father is dying but General Hammond can't tell him about the Stargate. But in season 9, one of Mitchell's friends is in hospital, and Mitchell can bring him an alien device to tell him all about the Stargate. Why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lazy producers/script writers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

The reason for the whole zat thing is simple jafa in war use staff against one another not zats so jafa arnt shot by zata that much in a jafa v jafa fightif u get stunned you will be killed or captured and forced into a new role serving your new god or whatever however each sg1 member has beeen zatted countless times they have a slight imunity still knockes them to the ground

Sams father well he was a general with many houners but mitchells friend 1. aready knew about most of it 2. was up for the same program

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

Actuallly Mit, and his friend knew nothing about when they applied, bar the fact its secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

User45701 wrote:
    The reason for the whole zat thing is simple jafa in war use staff against one another not zats so jafa arnt shot by zata that much in a jafa v jafa fightif u get stunned you will be killed or captured and forced into a new role serving your new god or whatever however each sg1 member has beeen zatted countless times they have a slight imunity still knockes them to the ground

So if Jafa don't use zats who was shooting sg1 with them? They got an immunity, yeah that makes sense, maybe they should shoot guys a few times when they join the army... you know, make them immune to bullets like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

mcgarnicle wrote:
    So if Jafa don't use zats who was shooting sg1 with them? They got an immunity, yeah that makes sense, maybe they should shoot guys a few times when they join the army... you know, make them immune to bullets like.

LOL. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Zillah wrote:

QFT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Zillah wrote:
    Indeed, their stunned for as long as is convenient (for the ZAT's), perfect example being SG-1 s10e08 where
    the guy torturing vala is shot by a zat but wakes up in time to let her get away

As for mitchell's friend, they had a bit of time to fill in the episode, so they took him to burn a minute or 5.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Back in the 60's when they wanted to zap someone with killing they they would simply "set phasers on stun"

Could it be that some similar process is in play ?

zat words as 1 shot is stun it just seems to have different effects in different episodes 2 shows kills this is fairley constant and the 3rd shot disintgrates but this is not used much

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The original Jaffa zat guns had the simple rule: the first shot stuns, the second kills, and the third disintegrates.

When SG1 brought back some zats, they were retro-engineered in Area 52. Part of the earth-created zat guns settings involved re-calibration of the phase variance settings on the gun, enabling the shooter to alter the stun setting by thumbing the slider along the underside of the gun. This is labelled the "Retcon Plot Device" and has appeared in many of the episodes listed above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

^ A Wizard did it ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It was an enchanted Zat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

ixoy wrote:
    The original Jaffa zat guns had the simple rule: the first shot stuns, the second kills, and the third disintegrates.

When SG1 brought back some zats, they were retro-engineered in Area 52. Part of the earth-created zat guns settings involved re-calibration of the phase variance settings on the gun, enabling the shooter to alter the stun setting by thumbing the slider along the underside of the gun. This is labelled the "Retcon Plot Device" and has appeared in many of the episodes listed above.

How do you know THAT? Woah. But incidentally I've never seen a reference to it in any episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

delta36 wrote:
    How do you know THAT? Woah. But incidentally I've never seen a reference to it in any episode.

He made it up..........Like some sort of sci fi writer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

bizmark wrote:
    He made it up..........Like some sort of sci fi writer
    But see it was believable! Expect to see it appear in an episode somewhere now as the writers pretend they had it thought out all along...

its true writers of all great shows come to boards.ie to rob our idias i know they have robed mine before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

ixoy wrote:
    But see it was believable! Expect to see it appear in an episode somewhere now as the writers pretend they had it thought out all along...

Heh wouldnt suprise me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

You're right! They stole my idea too! I invented the stargate, except I called it the planet gate, and it was square! Come on, a square makes much more sense than a circle!

Advertisement