Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using CrossCountryBroadband?

Options
  • 13-09-2006 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi,

Am looking for a broadband supplier for Co. Wicklow (Dunlavin) and am restricted to a satellite provider.

Have seen CrossCountryBroadband on the net. No minimum term contract and an affordable monthly service. Able to offer 2Mbs download however the upload speed is over the phoneline so could prove to be quite slow. Does it actually make much difference as will mainly be using for fast surfing, sending text emails and some downloading.

Anyone any comments?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

yrrag1974 wrote:
    Hi,

Am looking for a broadband supplier for Co. Wicklow (Dunlavin) and am restricted to a satellite provider.

Have seen CrossCountryBroadband on the net. No minimum term contract and an affordable monthly service. Able to offer 2Mbs download however the upload speed is over the phoneline so could prove to be quite slow. Does it actually make much difference as will mainly be using for fast surfing, sending text emails and some downloading.
    You'd probablly be better off with an ISDN line (I think the eircom service is called "Highway Robbery", or something like that. "High Speed", maybe?)

According to www.broadband.gov.ie there's a wireless company offering service in Dunlavin - http://www.qbsl.com/.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

and more

http://kildare.ie/broadband/

torque is around dunlavin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We have SkyDSL broadband who are german. The prices are reasonable meaning they don't screw you or being in Ireland as they have same prices across Europe.

We signed up for Perlico 180 flatrate Internet and then got the Satellite Broadband. For 30 Euro a month they give you unlimited at 2Mb/s which is reasonable. 15 Euro for 1 GB at 1Mb/s

The hardware is free (50 Euro shipping) assuming you can put a PCI card in your computer.

Setup is a horrible process but they give you everything you need and make it as painless as they can and support is good via email.

They also have some standard things you can expect from Satellite broadband providers including offline site serving for your favorite sites (limited to what they offer (BBC, Gamespot and some others, not great to be honest). Also you can get files when not connected on 56K too by requesting them via file URL pasted into a special program and then you can disconnect from 56K and they'll send you the file via satellite.

They have offline email too (haven't used it) and a good, new feature is cost control which lets you limit how much over your free bandwidth you want to go. This is set default at 100 Euro a month and you have to change it (1 Euro is the minimum you can set it to, you can't select 0). An icon in the taskbar in windows goes yellow (instead of green) to alert you, you are now paying for your bandwidth which is a nice feature.

Overall I'd recommend them if you definetely want satellite broadband but I'd also look into the Vodafone broadband to see how good that is and if it is available to you or what the story is with it (never checked it out myself).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭yrrag1974

brim4brim wrote:
    Overall I'd recommend them if you definetely want satellite broadband but I'd also look into the Vodafone broadband to see how good that is and if it is available to you or what the story is with it (never checked it out myself).

Thanks for the info - will have a look at them. Unfortunately Vodafone is out of the question as well as there is no 3G coverage in the area I'm in. If there was it would be ideal as their data card currently gives 384bps for €49 per month and this will increase to over 1MB after Xmas - even have an adaptor for the PC! It's gonna be huge when they launch!

The joys of choosing to live in the country!!!!!

Advertisement