Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg Beaters and MTB shoes

Options
  • 13-09-2006 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

I've recently upgraded from cheap Wellgos (WPD823 - around 30-40e 2yrs ago) to the entry level Egg Beaters. I swapped shoes at the same time, which in hindsight wasn't the best idea - it'd be better to change 1 thing, tweak, change the next.

Anyway I had my "christening" crash, a slow fall sideways to the pavement the first day I used 'em - nothing new there with changing pedals I guess. But I had a real crash today - turning at speed, jumping kerb, mud under front wheel, no rear brakes - deserving of a Darwin. Gloves worth every penny (again).

A bruised ego and elbow and a little concern about using the Egg Beaters out on the single trail on Saturday. I would have come down a little lighter if I had been able to unclip today, and I'm pretty sure I could have unclipped the Wellgos in time.

My first question is, do Egg Beaters get easier to disengage from as they become more used?

--

Secondly, I have some cheap Decathlon shoes ("Rockriders"). I find them very uncomfortable with these pedals due to small platform of the pedal. I feel like I should be moving the cleats forward but they're as far up as they can go. Is this likely to be the crappy sole of my cheap shoes? If it's only the shoes then I can fix this by getting a pair of decent shoes like my old Specialized's.

New shoes: http://static.flickr.com/90/242525618_bf0bbca52c.jpg
    Old shoes: http://static.flickr.com/97/242525506_b030d35461.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Enduro

Yes, eggbeater cleats start very "locked in", but very quickly (about a week for me) wear in to what your probably used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Pressure problems were my cheapo shoes.

I splashed out on some Specialized Comp Carbon MTBs - 150 yoyos. I would have gone down range but that was all they had in my size, so f#ck it. My last Specialized shoes withstood 2 years of solid abuse, average 5 days a week wear.

These look crap but the ride is beautiful. Makes it a different bike, so I know I've made a decent choice :)

spec%20comp%20carbon%20mtb%2005.jpg

Advertisement