Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever ask a stranger for a smoke

Options
  • 13-09-2006 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Just noticed this over the last week. A stranger asking if you've got a smoke. I'm not talking a stumbling drunk here. This morning for instance, was walking down Moore Street and a bunch of girls were hanging around outside a shop smoking and one of them asks me did I have a smoke so I gave her one and a light as well. Wasn't even smoking at the time which got me wondering if there is such as thing as "smokedar". i.e. can you tell if someone smokes when you meet them first?

I have asked a stranger on the street for a light if I'm caught out without a light myself, but have never asked a stranger for a cigarette other than maybe if it's outside a pub or club and I genuinely have run out of smokes myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Nope, never bummed a smoke off a stranger... the way I see it - if you know you're going to want to smoke later, then you'd better make sure you've got enough... your addiction; your responsibility.
    I don't think I'd be able to tell if someone smoked right away... unless I was a non-smoker and could smell it off them.
    But some people will try'n bum a smoke/light off you whether they think you smoke or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I often bum when I'm drunk, but never from strangers from I'm sober. When I was in France though, it seemed to be the norm to have people coming up to you, asking for a cigarette. It was really annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Very rarely, drunk or sober. I think once I was stuck for a smoke and waiting for a bus home and I just asked someone at the bus stop for one and then bought some when I got home.

I always seem to get asked for a cigarette though, by complete strangers. Don't mind giving them one as long as they're not a kid or a knacker, if they are they just get told its my last one.

Advertisement