Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zetec/vtec/vvti etc

Options
  • 14-09-2006 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

i understand how vtec works for Honda and mivec works for Mitsubishi, but wat i want to know is does Zetec do the same thing on a Ford and also does Vvti do the same for Toyota????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

These days Zetec means nothing afaik, I don't think it is a variable valve timing system. It was once a label they used on higher performance engines but you can get a 1.2 zetec now so...

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_valve_timing

Good list of all the makes version of vvt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

zetec is just a trim level

vvti is variable valve timing alright, tho it works differently to vtec (and mivec which is very similar to vtec, except intake/exhaust cams are controlled seperately with seperate spool valves, unlike vtec where both cams controlled by the one spool valve)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JHMEG wrote:
    zetec is just a trim level

It was a range of (bread and butter!) engines for about 10 years from the mid 90s, the most famous being the 1.25 fitted to the Fiesta. I don't know, but I suspect most Zetec engines still live on under the Duratec name.

Ford liked the Zetec name so much they now use it as a trim level!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

VVTI isn't as complex as VTEC or MIVEC

MIVEC and VTEC are pretty much the same thing, they offer variable valve timing and lift, VVT-i is just variable valve timing. (Toyota also offer VVTL-i which offers variable valve timing and lift, used in the Celica and Corolla T-Sport)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah, Zetec's just a brand that Ford used on their newer engines - though there apparently isn't much of a consistancy between which engines they used it with - several totally different engine designs went under the brand, and some of these engines were also sold along the line as different brands.

Again the Wikipedia's good for this kind of stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zetec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

ive a mondeo zetec, its just a trim level as previousy mentioned.

it goes LX - Zetec - Gia - ST

the engine is the Duratec. Mines a 01 MK3 Mondeo, 2.0 TDI 115bhp

Good car :)

the engine is the Duratec. Mines a 01 MK3 Mondeo, 2.0 TDI 115bhp

if its a diesel, 'tis a Duratorq!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

maidhc wrote:
    if its a diesel, 'tis a Duratorq!

I was gonna point this out, bit deemed it too pedantic.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I was gonna point this out, bit deemed it too pedantic.

I'll be getting me coat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mivec

ah its gettin a bit clearer now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote:
    VVTI isn't as complex as VTEC or MIVEC

In fairness VTEC (and MIVEC) aren't that complex either, which is prolly why they don't fail.

Advertisement