Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age Gap

• 14-09-2006 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically my question is this:
    Is an age gap a good thing or a bad thing?

Now let me explain. Recently I have gone back into education and have found myself surrounded by people who have just done their leaving certificate. I am 21 years old and have found myself getting close with this girl.. she is 16. I do not know if anything were to happen, I'm not expecting it whatsoever- but would it be wrong for me to do so?

There is a similar age gap between my parents (my dad being 54 and my mum 51.. they met when she was 21).

I should probably state that I do not want any legal question; this is a question of morals and decency.

Thank you.

Comments

The age gap there is probably in my opinion looking worse to you than it actually is.
    yes 16 is young.play it by ear,after all 17 or 18 isnt too far away.After that its down to the usual conditions ie do ye get on,what ye have in common etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think what tristrame said is more or less true. An age gap of 5 years is nothing; a 21 year old going out with a 26 year old, a 40 year old married to a 45 year old. These are all fine.

I think the only issue is the fact she is now 16. Maybe when she is 17 or 18 it wont seem like so big a deal, i think it is more to do with emotional maturity, etc.

Personally, and im not judging u here buddy, just giving my own view, I would wait a year before taking it any further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Everyone is unique and different. If you are both mature, then no prob.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If she's in college it can't be long until she is 17 - I did my leaving when I was 16 and turned 17 the day after my last exam and I was the youngest in my year. If I were you I'd just carry on getting to know her and then when she is 17 and going on see how it goes.

Plus mentally you shouldn't be too far seperated either - ye are both in college etc. so you are living similar lifestyles and would probably have more in common as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

if you had a daughter who was 16 and you found out some 21 year old dude was making moves on her, how would you feel?

as previous poster said, it's not a mater of an age gap, it's a matter that she's technicaly a child while you're an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

If there's grass on the pitch, play ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

azezil wrote:
    ... and go to jail.
    Age Gap wrote:
    I am 21 years old and have found myself getting close with this girl.. she is 16. There is a similar age gap between my parents (my dad being 54 and my mum 51.. they met when she was 21).
    21-16=5
    54-51=3
    5>3

I think its at the outer edge of whats acceptable. I would suggest that you take things slowly and ther emay be no harm in getting to know her parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Theres a big difference between 16 and 21, hardly any between 30-35. Or for that matter a 28 and 35. Its nothing to do with the actual number of years difference , but everything to do with the stage of life you are at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

I was 18 when I met my man and he was 24. So same difference there, we had no problems and we've been together 6 yrs now. I'd never had gone for a guy my own age any way , to childish!! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

azezil wrote:

And if there's no grass? Play behind the goals. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

16 is a bit young, but if she is mature for her age then I see no problem with your at least getting to know her better. Just take it slow with her.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

some 16 year olds can be mature, others not so it all depends on the person, but the leaving cert is one rite of passage that it's probably best to wait for as a minimum

if someone isn't earning then a sugar daddy might seem nicer now than when they have their own resources

The magic formula is half your age plus seven, so it'll all be ok in three years time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Is an age gap a good thing or a bad thing?

I don't think it's ever an ideal thing to have an age gap... but maturity and where you're at in your life at a particular stage are much more important. Being a 21-year-old out working with a place of your own and going out with a 16-year-old still in secondary school would be very different to both of you being in college... even though you're coming from different stages of your life, there's a common ground and you're on fairly equal footing. So it's more a case of being careful rather than it being very very wrong, I'd say.

Advertisement