Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat BT Wireless Router keeps disconnecting me

Options
  • 14-09-2006 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

On my upstairs PC in my bedroom, i have crap connection issues with my downstairs PC too and its closer to the actual router, which i just find really sad. I believe it could be a power save issue that might be able to be tweaked if i telnet into the router. Can i ask firstly though, anyone else keep having a disconnecting prob?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

When you say connection issues, do you mean that your wireless connection fails? Or that the wireless connection stays connected but you can't access any webpages?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I have the 660W wireless router BT sent out and mine kept disconnecting both in wireless and ethernet modes, now back to using the old Prestige 630 with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

The Zytel icon disappears momentarily in the bottom right hand corner, as does the NIC icon making it look as if im disconnected, it then comes back. The connection has been temporarily severed, as all the torrent dloads i have running, go down to 0 kb/s and return back to normal then after a few seconds. My messengers also log me out momentarily. This is so, so annoying. I talked to Esat and did as they asked and tweaked/disabled the power settings which made no difference. Please please get involved if you have the same problem as me, im so anxious as to know if anyone experienced this and got a fix. Maybe a router firmware upgrade or a setting to be tweaked..
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I have had a similar problem for the last few weeks, the DSL light on the zyxel modem stays green but the internet connection drops at random intervals, sometimes 10 minutes, at the most a couple of hours. I'm not sure if the problem is the modem, router(linksys WRT54Gv5) or the modem being in bridged mode. I have factory resetted everything, no change. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

I'm having the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

esat recommended i used a nailed up connection rather than an on demand, also to change my wireless channel from 11 to 5 or 6. yet the router was already operating by default on channel 6. Did this cos we have wireless phone handsets in the house.
    Im at my wits end, i might just go with network cabling rather than wireless, or get a new wireless router at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

esat recommended i used a nailed up connection rather than an on demand, also to change my wireless channel from 11 to 5 or 6. yet the router was already operating by default on channel 6. Did this cos we have wireless phone handsets in the house.
    Im at my wits end, i might just go with network cabling rather than wireless, or get a new wireless router at the weekend.
    From your description earlier, your problem is between your PC and the ZyXEL. Have you looked at the logs on the ZyXEL to see if it gives any indication if the problem is purely down to the wireless signal dropping out (which could be a problem with your PC, with interference or with the ZyXEL), or whether the problem is the ZyXEL itself rebooting (overheating, powersupply issues).

The Logs for ZyXEL devices are usually available under the Maintenance/Logs menu.

There are a number of Firmware upgrades available on the ZyXEL website - it would be worth checking out if there is one for your modem (I'd check, but you haven't said what your model number is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

parasite wrote:
    I have had a similar problem for the last few weeks, the DSL light on the zyxel modem stays green but the internet connection drops at random intervals, sometimes 10 minutes, at the most a couple of hours. I'm not sure if the problem is the modem, router(linksys WRT54Gv5) or the modem being in bridged mode. I have factory resetted everything, no change. Any ideas?
    If the connection is dropping out for minutes at a time, the problem is most likely between your modem and the exchange. You need to log into the modem and check the Line Statistics when you're having this problem, and see what they say.

It's possible to connect to a bridged ZyXEL from a PC through the WRT54G, but it's generally easier to connect directly to the ZyXEL if it's in bridged mode. (the ZyXEL and the Linksys both default to 192.168.1.1, as far as I can remember, sp getting through to both at the same time isn't going to work by default. You may need to set a static address on your PC t otalk to the ZyXEL when it's in bridged mode, though).

Advertisement