Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis as a medical treatment.

• 14-09-2006 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

NOTICE: It is worth glancing over this document if you need facts & figures.

This is also very relevant as Paddy puts the argument better than I could ever hope to. :)

Personally, I think it is somthing that should be explored in Ireland.
    If nothing else, This
    form should at least be considered.
    I have a couple of the disabilities it is reported they symptoms of which *can be* improved by using it.
    If I could get it, and could afford it, yes I would try it.

When you consider that alcohol & cigs are legal in this country. and have absolutely no medical benefit (quite the opposite), shouldnt this be legalised? At least for medicinal use?
    Many other countries have trialled this treatment and its benefits have been proven time and time again, yet here in Ireland we refuse to acknowledge this, leaving thousands of people with treatable symptoms untreated.

Im just wondering what the thoughts of others who have disabilities that might benefit from this treatment, think of the government witholding a treatment that could be beneficial just because it is abused by a sector of society, as is almost every drug.

b

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

My mother has MS and she has tried it to treat muscle spasms in her legs with some success but she wouldn't regularly use this.

In my opinion a lot of people with ailments that could be relieved somewhat by using cannabis have little trouble getting hold of some - if it were government regulated it would probably come at a cost (possibly taxed) and still be available on the blackmarket.

I definately think if the government brought it in - they should be brought in a form like your link highlights. I think that people using the resin type to treat symptoms might do themselves more harm than good - since they add melted-down lino floors and used engine oil to bulk up the bars (that can't be good...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Strokesfan wrote:
    I definately think if the government brought it in - they should be brought in a form like your link highlights. I think that people using the resin type to treat symptoms might do themselves more harm than good - since they add melted-down lino floors and used engine oil to bulk up the bars (that can't be good...)

Yeah, I remember hearing a story (true), of a woman in her 50's who decided to try it for muscle spasms, getting her nephew to buy her some and it ended up being some type of DIY type resin that put her in hospital and ruined her lungs :(

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭Archeron

I read a very interesting article years ago (in Playboy of all places!!) about the medical use of this drug, and it was a fascinating insight into how doctors and surgeons feel about it. The article was written by a top neurosurgeon in the US who was using it to relieve his sons side effects from chemotherapy (sp??) sessions, and he said that while it didnt directly cure the child, it certainly made his life a lot less hellish that it would have been otherwise. As well as this, he listed a litany of illnesses that have shown improvement when treated with it and I was shocked at the variation of illnesses it can help with.
    Sadly, I do think that this country is too close minded for it happen at any time in the near future, but I genuinely wish they would at least do some more research.

Advertisement