Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me!

Options
  • 14-09-2006 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

I've had 4 punctures in my front tire in the past 2 weeks.

I've changed the tube each time, it keeps happening.

The puncture is always on the tire side of the tube (it's not something from the rim sticking into the tube). I've changed the tire and I still get a puncture.

I don't know what to try next. It's a Specialized Sirrus if that's any help to anyone...

It's SO annoying.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I too have a sirrus, Im after getting 2 punctures in the last couple of weeks too, except its my back wheel.

Im thinking of changing my tyres, getting something a bit more resilient, and I have already had trouble with my rear wheel, as most of you probably know.

Has anyone any suggestions for tyres, 700 X 28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Tywy, either you are very unlucky, or whatever has caused the original puncture could still be in your tyre. Run your fingers (carefully) along the inside of the tyre to see if there's a thorn or piece of metal stuck there.

I use Specialized Armadillo tyres on my Sirrus, and now that I run them at a decent pressure I hardly get any punctures. I used to pump at a garage, but this only gets them ~50% of what they should be, and flats were pretty common.

So best advice would be to

- check your tyre for foreign objects
    - buy a track pump so you can pump your tires to ~90psi+
    - and then if needs be, Armadillos (while heavy) are good for flat-resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Was out for a long spin recently over the course of which a friend of mine got 3 punctures in front wheel. After much searching after the 3rd puncture we found a spec of glass on the tire! :eek:

Could be something like that in the tire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Most likely something in the tyre alright.
    However a puncture can also be caused by yourself upon reassembling the tyre.
    When your leveraging the tyre back onto the rim it's easy to pinch the tube or nick it with your tyre lever.
    It's happened to me before til i started paying close attention

• Registered Users Posts: 48 billyk

only use your hands putting the tyre on no matter how hard it is,
    tyre levers are for taking tyres off
    put a small bit of air into the tube(just enough to make it round) before refitting the tyre
    make sure there's rim tape on the rim too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

have done everything you told me....I've checked the tire each time I've gotten a flat, nothing there...bought a new tire, got another flat, I just don't know what's goin on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

I cycle from Lucan into town through Neilstown and Ballyfermot. The roads are covered in glass. I bought specialized armadillos because I was getting too many flats and I still got too many punctures! All you can do it buy a good set of tyres and try and avoid the glass.
    As long as the roads are in bits and covered in glass you will always get a fair share of punctures. But it still beats sitting on the crappy 25A for an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

What pressure are you running in the tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is possible there is something on the wheel doing it? Liek a spoke that has a sharp end or something. Are you certain you are pressurising the tyres properly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

It's the pressure I think, if there is nothing obvious on the inside of the tyre.

I remember getting 3 flats in one day, but I KNEW it was me not pumping it up properly with a hand pump.

Buy a track pump and check the correct pressures for it. I do 35km commute daily from Booterstown to Tallaght, never had a puncture but I check the pressures every morning before leaving and have both at 80psi (max is 87 on the ones I have fitted).

Get a track pump! And maybe some roadish tyres - the knobbly ones on hybrids I found hang on to a lot of chips and stones, etc., .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Buy a track pump and check the correct pressures for it. And maybe some roadish tyres - the knobbly ones on hybrids I found hang on to a lot of chips and stones, etc., .

Sorry for the newbie question, but whats a "track pump" compaired to an ordinary hand pump?
    Do you have any linkies to a recommended one available here ?

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Like this http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=136&idproduct=6792

Basically you can pump and know the pressure the tyre is at. I think it's called a "track" pump as you can have it standing up at a track? But TBH that's only what I think - it stands up and has a pressure gauge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I have a track pump, both tires at 80 psi. I have slickish tires...as in small grip on the edges....it's hard to describe but they are standard on the Sirrus.

Gonna try fix it again on Saturday hopefully I'll have some success

Thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

The tyres on the Sirrus are Specialized Nimbus 700 X 28C

Advertisement