Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poly poly 6 pair???????

Options
  • 14-09-2006 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Does anyone know what this is?? My alarm guy has asked me to order this as the cable from the house to the intercom at the gate? He is now on hols so I am trying to figure out the technical name for it??

Any ideas gratefully appreciated!!

Pitstop!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Its basically multicore cable that can be buried underground in wavin and is better mechanically protected than standard multicore. It has a very hard outside insulator and is also protected by a ream of grease paper on the inside, to make it waterproof.

6 pair means 6 pairs of wires, so that would be 12 in total.

Any electrical wholesaler should have it and if not, can order it for you.

You just have to ask for (how much meters you need) of 6 pair polly polly cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

I was looking out for this stuff today (in a rush because electrician is
    nearing completion on wall chasing/1rst fix). The electrical wholesaler
    had a length which was a tad too short for the run from house to gate
    pillar. The electrician recommended that I just get plenty of standard
    cat5e as he said he'd put it in pipe (wavin or similar, I assume).
    At the trade desk they mentioned there is an underground version
    of cat5e also (most likely a good deal more expensive than std cat5e).

So - am I looking for trouble by having two cat5e runs going out
    to the gate protected by wavin, etc ?
    I got the impression that the poly/poly stuff was weatherproof enough
    that it didn't require the wavin pipe protection.

~ipl

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

You don't have to install poly poly in a wavin pipe, but its generally good practice to do so as it's another barrier against damage. Wavin is harder to break through than a poly poly cable with a shovel.
    If anything went wrong in the future with the cable (it happens, believe me), it saves digging up a driveway, grass etc, when you can pull it through a pipe underground.

You can run out cat5 if you want, just making sure its definitely in wavin underground and both ends are water sealed.
    Even if you get underground cat5, its worth it to even install it in 20mm wavin.

Advertisement