Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Junction question

Options
  • 14-09-2006 9:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Regarding the attached junction - both sets of lights turn green at the same time. Was turning left this morning (blue lines)- slip road and car went straight(brown) and then turned left (not 100% sure there is an actual "no left turn" up there) rather than q for the correct left turn. My question is if a collision happened here who would be in the wrong as technically you have to yield to the right but what if the car coming from the right had made an unexpected illegal manoeuvre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are you sure you didn't have a flashing amber arrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

there's a unction like that in sandyford and another beside dundrum shopping centre.... kinda dangerous cos you are allowed turn left at both of these.

steve06 wrote:
    there's a unction like that in sandyford and another beside dundrum shopping centre.... kinda dangerous cos you are allowed turn left at both of these.
    Most of the ones I'm familiar with have a green 'straight ahead' arrow on the main road (making it illegal to turn left) and flashing amber arrows on the slip road.. If the OP had a green light, I presume the other car must have performed an illegal move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Other car performed an illegal move.. however i bet there was a yield sign be it an actual sign or the triangle marking on the road... so in other words even if the other car got there by doing something stupid.. it would not mean you can ignore the yield sign and pull out in front of him...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The guy did go straight on. He then turned left. I would not assume its illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Have to check if there is a "no turn left" sign on the main junction - its not actually straight ahead but a right turn.

There is a green light on both roads and both go green at same time - no flashing amber and don't think there is a yield sign(have to check this)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

kbannon wrote:
    The guy did go straight on. He then turned left. I would not assume its illegal.

That would be my thinking too. Brown appears to have had had right of way .

The Muppet wrote:
    That would be my thinking too. Brown appears to have had had right of way .

Pretty sure there is a "no left sign" there - otherwise everyone would do the same as there is always a tailback for the left.

My question is more generic though - assume that the turn is illegal who would be in the wrong if there was a crash.

kbannon wrote:
    The Muppet wrote:
    That would be my thinking too. Brown appears to have had had right of way

It depends on the junction lads. May I use the southern entrance (off R132) to Dublin Airport as an example?

Northbound traffic from Dublin/Santry wishing to enter the airport (left turn) may only do so via the slip road provided. There is a 'No Left Turn' sign at the lights. The same is true for traffic coming from the airport wishing to turn left onto the R132 - they must use the slip road only.
    TheMonster wrote:
    My question is more generic though - assume that the turn is illegal who would be in the wrong if there was a crash.
    It would be reasonable to assume that the other car would be wrong although it could be argued that you may only proceed at a green light if your way ahead was clear and that it was safe to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

There is a similar junction in Raheny village, but with a flashing amber, and come to think of it I've never noticed if there's a no left turn sign at that junction, and I use it so often! Interesting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

I've seen that a few times myself and thought exactly the same question you did. I came to the conclusion that as there is nearly always a yield sign on the slip road you would have to yield to any oncoming traffic, even if he got there through an illegal left turn.
    Not sure what the actual legal standing would be but yielding would put you in the safest position.

dubstub wrote:
    I've seen that a few times myself and thought exactly the same question you did. I came to the conclusion that as there is nearly always a yield sign on the slip road you would have to yield to any oncoming traffic, even if he got there through an illegal left turn.
    Not sure what the actual legal standing would be but yielding would put you in the safest position.
    Thats what I did (or had to do ) as the sc*&bag had no intentions of doing so. :mad: must check now about yield and "no left turn" signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Back of Liffey Valley, passing B&Q onto Coldcut Rd. I'll bet. If so,I'd also be willing to bet he got there by skipping the traffic on the Coldcut by going down the buslane, turning left and going 180 degrees around the roundabout at B&Q.

No, it wasn't me but I see it all the time. I'll admit to doing it once or twice but only when late for hospital appointment or son's creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was just thinking of the same junctino at B&Q. The straight lanes are right turn only marked on the road. however the golden rule still applies in any case - Give way to traffic on your right. If the other car had been coming from the fonthill road in this case but only got as far as the middle of the junction and you got green - you still have to give way.

Incidentally I came down that road yesterday and took the right to the next roundabout and then double backed. Was very tempted to turn left though.

Advertisement