Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB announce they have finished their network expansion/new packages

• 14-09-2006 10:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

The howls of protest around here about IBBs core network have died down a bit...and so they should if IBB spent €13m on the core network like they say they did. As part of this €13m expansion program they reached Coolock, waHaaaYYYY

Served locations are
    Dublin City and County, Cork City, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Dundalk, Drogheda, Bray, Tralee, Ennis, Kilkenny, Navan, Carlow, Wexford, Athlone, Newbridge, Letterkenny, Celbridge, Leixlip, Greystones, Portlaoise, Killarney, Arklow, Wicklow, Maynooth, rural north/south Kildare, rural north Louth, Killaloe/Ballina, north Donegal, Oranmore/Carnmore and Claregalway.

and hark, new packages and upgrades for Breeze customers
    As a result of the upgrade, users of the company’s 2MB service will be upgraded to 3MB, users of the 3MB service will be upgraded to 4MB and users of the top-of-the-range 4MB product will see an 8:1 contention ratio reduced to a 4:1 contention ratio.

Very nice....where it works .....and the Breeze service does work very well in some places.

Ripwave still does not work though, probably never will. If you want a flat rate dialup substitute with no line rental go to Vodafone and get a 3g card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Oh nice, 3Mbps here I come! Any date for the upgrade?

And I have to agree, when IBB works it is far better than other BB products. I've had it for 18 months and apart from two outages of a few days, I've had a perfect 2Mbps down and 5Mbps up connection with low pings and no download caps (not that I ever go above a few Gb a month). And they actually gave us 4 months free connection as a apology for our last outage. Can't complain about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

So does anyone know when we get the speed upgrade? I checked their website earlier and the 2mb package is gone, replaced by the 3mb package so does this mean I should have been upgraded from 2mb to 3mb by now? just checked my speed and im getting aroung 1.5Mb... Hopefully ill have that 3mb soon... might email them anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Am downloading at a constant 237kb/sec at the mo.. I checked the product pricing list and it lists the 3MB service at 48.50.

EDIT: Unplugged my box and I am still getting 240.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

The howling about IBB's core network being absolute ****e is possibly becaus most people affected left IBB... MY friend has it and it's good, another friend has it and it's absolute ****e. Go figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I can't see myself ever returning to that company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

Sweet ... better network same price :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

that 3mb/3mb package for just 50 euro is inticing..thinking of going for it...but ive heard hundreds of storys about ibb being bad in the past..has it cleared up much lads..like do you know anyone that still has problems with the speeds etc..i live in the finglas area any one know of any one who lives near here and has ibb at the moment and how there getting on..

and irlrobins how do you get 2mb down and "5MB UP" that sounds lethal :)

IgsTer wrote:
    and irlrobins how do you get 2mb down and "5MB UP" that sounds lethal :)
    Not sure. It started off as 2 up and down. Then had my first outage and what ever they tweaked to fix the problem resulted in the 5Mbps upload. The second outage required being assigned an new ip in a different range but I still get the 5Mbsp upload.

Now if it was the other way round I'd be really happy! :D
    ibbuc3.jpg

haha..id say you would mate..so youll be getting 3mb/5mb when ya get upgraded ye?

are you happy with ibb..like the speeds dont go slow for ya do they..and where bouts do ya live..

Well prehaps in the process of upgrading me to 3Mbps they might notice the large upload speed and readjust. Know in a few weeks I guess.

Overall I'm very happy with my connection. It works like the graph above all the time. I have low pings for gaming and good download speeds.

The only problem I've had to date was when my link went down. Their customer service is appalling. Their first line staff only know how to deal with the basics. Anything beyond that they should up to second line. But that's where they fail. They don't up it to the next level until I've rung about 10 times. It's very fustrating. But in fairness to them after the last outage we complained to customer service and they refunded us four months connection fee. Not bad for a weeks outage.

And I'm on the RTE mast. It's def one of the better ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ibbtg5.th.jpg

im getting ever increasing upload speeds.
    download is starting to drop off again......

You on 2Mbps package subway?

yep.

Getting your full download speed so. Can't complain. If only your upload was your download! ;)

thanks for that irlrobins..im thinking bout changing to ibb from utv..i like the idea of having such a fast upload rate..and 3mb down will do me grand.. :)

jesus 8mbs upload rate.. :D im liking the sound of that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ah crap another upgrade ?
    the service went crap when they did the 1m to 2m upgrade and now this no wonder the last two weeks have been crap and web pages keep timing out and the connection dropping and I had tought it was the building work at the Blanch shopping centre and cranes getting in the way of the line of sight :(

irlrobins wrote:
    Getting your full download speed so. Can't complain. If only your upload was your download! ;)
    except i was getting more last week ;)

connections maxes out at 245kbps which is grand :)
    it went down to 10kbps for a week or 2 tho,
    all fine atm

IgsTer wrote:
    thanks for that irlrobins..im thinking bout changing to ibb from utv..i like the idea of having such a fast upload rate..and 3mb down will do me grand.. :)

jesus 8mbs upload rate.. :D im liking the sound of that..

It's as likely to be 200kbps and it will change on a weekly basis. If you like the lottery approach to broadband, IBB is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

The howling about IBB's core network being absolute ****e is possibly becaus most people affected left IBB... MY friend has it and it's good, another friend has it and it's absolute ****e. Go figure.

Might also be cause I just couldent be bothered to complain about them. I was just checking my phone call logs to tech support and mu current problems are going on since before 21 July witch is when I made my first call. I rang 2 days ago and got told that im to be put straight on to premium support, witch was unavaliable at the time so they told me they would call back in an hour. They never called back. Im getting on to digi web now I think they should be in my area by now.

3 meg and my 2 meg aint worth diddly. Id settle for 1 meg that worked.

IgsTer wrote:
    ..has it cleared up much lads..like do you know anyone that still has problems with the speeds etc..i live in the finglas area any one know of any one who lives near here )

OH and a mate of mine lives in Finglas and he hates them too, says he gets nothing but trouble from them there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

There are a lot of posts on these boards from users that have problems with IBB. But the people posting horror stories seem to be the same few users over and over. 1 user posting his horror story 10 times isn't the same as 10 users with horror stories. My 2Mb has been working great since I've gotten it. Personally I know 3 people with IBB and we're all working fine. 2 in Swords (me included) and 2 others elsewhere. But when I originally ordered IBB I hadn't read these forums. If I had I would have been put off but I'm glad I didn't.

Maybe we need to get some kind of map showing where the good and bad spots are for IBB so the users of these boards will have an idea to get them or not. It would have to be dynamic though. Generally when IBB works they're the best plan for the best price (for my needs anyway) but if they don't that obviously goes out the window.

Yea true. Current poll of providors shows 13 happy with IBB and 4 not.

I dident realise there was a new poll as I hadent voted yet. So its 13 for 5 now. So thats about a 40% chance ya get it and wont be happy. Russian Roulette has better odds.

There are a lot of posts on these boards from users that have problems with IBB. But the people posting horror stories seem to be the same few users over and over.

Yeah, only a few users have had problems. Like practically everyone on the northside type of thing. It's not as if sector problems or backhaul problems only affect a couple of users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Blaster99 wrote:
    Yeah, only a few users have had problems. Like practically everyone on the northside type of thing. It's not as if sector problems or backhaul problems only affect a couple of users.

I'm on the northside (Swords) so are my mates. So your "practically everyone on the northside" is a bit of a generalisation. Unless you're talking about everyone on the northside of the country.

thanx spooky donkey at least ive some idea of what it would be like in finglas now..but i know someone who also has ibb and lives in finglas and gets good speeds apperantly..but ive no proof so not sure to believe em..

anyway ye that sounds like a good idea mickoneill.. :D

ill probably jus go to magnet 4mb/512 package doh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

So has anybody had their service upgraded yet?

IgsTer wrote:
    thanx spooky donkey at least ive some idea of what it would be like in finglas now..but i know someone who also has ibb and lives in finglas and gets good speeds apperantly..but ive no proof so not sure to believe em..

anyway ye that sounds like a good idea mickoneill.. :D

ill probably jus go to magnet 4mb/512 package doh..

BTW while complaining atm I am also getting good speeds, and I think my mate in finglas may also be getting good speeds also. The problems we are having atm are cronic packet loss. So we cant game online and VIOP is hard to use also people break up a lot. Speeds are good but I have had a lot of speed problems over my 2 years with IBB also.

alri..i getya..

thanks for the info.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I'm going to go for it.

Mainly for the upload speed. :)

No more leaving the laptop uploading all
    night to Flickr.

I was with them before on the Ballymun mast
    and was one of the lucky ones.

Advertisement