Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of moth is this (1.5in. by 2.5in.) ?

Options
  • 14-09-2006 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Last night I left a light on outside for a few hours, then when I went to turn it off I saw this moth sitting on the wall.
    Its sheer size was unusual, we have the usual size moths, but this one looked like the godzilla of moths.
    Any ideas what it is ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

Just checking the web and I found this, then I remembered that we have a lot of "Nicotiana" plants around this year, so maybe that brought him in.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1750

1972 Convolvulus Hawk-moth Agrius convolvuli
    (Linnaeus, 1758)
    Wingspan 80-120 mm.

A large species, with a wingspan of over 10cm, this is a migrant in Britain, appearing sometimes in fairly good numbers.

It most often occurs in late summer and autumn, usually with influxes of other migrant species, when it turns up in light traps and feeding at garden flowers, especially those of the tobacco plant (Nicotiana)

Although larvae are sometimes found in Britain, usually on bindweed (Convolvulus), it does not regularly breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Nice find. I guessed a Hummingbird Hawk Moth from the title of the post, I was only a little bit off so :)

Advertisement