Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic for the premiership

• 14-09-2006 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭

After watching last nights Celtic / Utd , played in such a great atmosphere , surely it is time to bring Celtic into the Premiership , instead of them plodding along in that woefull Scottish so-called league ! I think all parties would benefit , the Premiership, Celtic (particularly there bank balance) , and the all important TV ratings . Bring in Rangers too !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

If im not mistaken here are Celtic not a Scottish team?
    I have always been agaisnt this, club's should have to play in their own leagues. I know people will go...Derry City...The reason Derry play in The republic's leauge is becuase of security issues. The agreement between, Derry City the IFA and the FAI is that Derry play in the Republic's league, until a time they can play in the North's league.

If Celtic and Rangers want to play in the Premiership, then they should have to have a British league and that means a British Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sure they might aswell bring in any team from europe who want to play in the Prem. too. I reckon Bohs might want a piece of that too now ;)

I cannot see it happening and then whats the point in countries having their own leagues only for the best teams to go off and join another countries league !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Although I DON'T think Celtic or Rangers will ever end up joining the premiership........it would be good for both teams and also the premiership, but the scottish league would probably go out of existence, which would be very unfortunate.

If you look at Cardiff City, Swansea etc (Welsh Teams) playing in the English leagues are doing quite well. The only Welsh League team I have ever seen play is TNS because they played againist Liverpool in the qualifications for the Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I have a few Celtic freinds who are season ticket holders , living in Dublin, and i slag them about only playing one league match a year .
    I know which i would prefer to watch :-

Celtic v St. Johnstone
    Celtic v St Mirren
    Cleltic v Falkirk

or
    Celtic v Arsenal
    Celtic v Newcastle
    Celtic v Everton

They have great support whatever league they are in !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Sure, we might as well take the top teams from each country and put them in the same competition, crowds will be huge, oh wait....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

ciaran76 wrote:
    I reckon Bohs might want a piece of that too now ;)
    No. We're gonna stay pure :p
    Seriously, I wish Dermot Desmond would stop getting people to post these absurdities on message boards. Celtic are British, but they are not English. Another instance of the beautiful game falling prey to too much money sloshing around, though in this instance I think the border might be too big an obstacle.

johnos wrote:
    Seriously, I wish Dermot Desmond would stop getting people to post these absurdities on message boards. Celtic are British, but they are not English. [/URL] sloshing around, though in this instance I think the border might be too big an obstacle.

How did you know Dermot Desmond paid me to post on boards ?
    Did you see him giving me a brown paper bag while i was eating my prawn sandwich last night ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Boruc for the PL Saha for the EL, about the only difference between them otherwise the score would have been the 5 or 6 it should have been.

If they did go to the PL would they still be an Irish club?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

thebaz wrote:
    After watching last nights Celtic / Utd , played in such a great atmosphere , surely it is time to bring Celtic into the Premiership , instead of them plodding along in that woefull Scottish so-called league ! I think all parties would benefit , the Premiership, Celtic (particularly there bank balance) , and the all important TV ratings . Bring in Rangers too !

hmm interesting.
    would the plastic paddy supporters change their allegiance to the other catholic team in scotland then?
    i mean, surely it would be a kick in the teeth for the irish/scottish team to be put in an english league?
    johnos wrote:
    No. We're gonna stay pure

as a scottish club? or an irish one?
    i find it all very concerning personally.
    wrote:
    The reason Derry play in The republic's leauge is becuase of security issues

true, they were kicked out of the irish league becuase of the supporters (on both sides, although i vagluey recall something about linfield)

i dont see that in the scottish league though.

but what makes people think that celtic or rangers would do well inthe EPL?
    i mean, have they actually beaten any team in the EPL over the last 10 years?

both of these teams have had financial pressure for a number of years, why do people think that all of their problems would be over if the suddenly found themselves in a bigger league?
    the money would be more, but so would the costs, and the pressures. instead of having the home firm derbys, and one other team a year that makes a race of it, these teams will see themselves sitting at least 5th or 6th down the league.

i dont see it myself.

someone already mentioned the CL as the competition for the top teams in the leagues. leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It is gas that the top people at Celtic hold this as an attainable aspiration. Only the top 5 or 6 teams in the Premiershp would want them - the others would fear they could be the ones to lose out on Premiership status, whether it be this year or in the future. UEFA dont want it and the rest of the Scottish League dont want it. Far too many hurdles.

The first step would be come kind of Anglo-Scot cup competition - there was talk of combiining the league cups, but they couldnt even manage that - and its a helluva long way short of getting Celtic and Rangers into the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Liverpool did knock Celtic out of the UEFA Cup one year not too long ago, albeit courtesy of two draws. I remember McManaman getting a beauty in Celtic Park after playing shíte all game to make it 2-2.

Then in a strange game at Anfield both teams seemed to settle for 0-0.

Don't think they'd challenge to win it in the short terms at least, but both Celtic and Rangers would be well able to compete, a la a Blackburn or Villa or similar. But it'll never happen IMO

ziggy67 wrote:
    Celtic beat Blackburn & Liverpool not so long ago while i'm sure you remember your team :rolleyes: ,Rangers, knocking Leeds out of the CL in its first season.

so tot up the wins and loses, and see where it stands. a win against blackburn and liverpool, oven chelsea and utd doesnt mean you'd fair well in a league situation.
    i do reclal celtic crashing out of the CL last year after a 5-0 loss. is that typical of their performance, of course not. but lets be sensible. im talking longevity.

but of course, i guess its easy to knock someone elses point of view when your not prepared to give one yourself.
    ziggy67 wrote:
    In fact i think Man utd are the only team to beat Celtic &/or Rangers since the Premiership started.

i sure i recall liverpool beating celtic a number of years ago. but im guessing if you dont have the facts and figures to hand youre probably not a real supporter of either club.
    personally i dont recall rangers beating leeds, but then again what they do outside of home firms derbys doesnt interest me too much.
    ziggy67 wrote:
    I think Celtic would thrive in the Premiership. More money & more chance of attracting better players. Its all hypothetical though- it won't happen.

and a good thing too. england for the english and all that.
    /irony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

He was talking about Bohs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

What are you on about?

It was a throwaway comment about Bohemians, and you ignored the smiley at the end of the line...

:confused:

ziggy67 wrote:
    people may doubt you are really a Rangers fan.

Wheres Eirebhoy when you need him... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If the EPL get 2 extra CL places then i wouldnt mind. Otherwise they can stay where they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

My standard reply:

Don't care if they're in the PL or not, but if I was a supporter of any club below PL level I'd be mightily pissed off at them getting to walk in without the promotion fight all the other clubs have to face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Celtic may pump themselves up for the big games against Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal etc, but they'd bloody well struggle against all of the other teams in the league once the novelty had worn off.

Championship team, nothing more. And no they shouldn't be allowed in the Championship either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Stay the heck in Scotland, its all pipe dreams, FIFA, UEFA and every League club in England wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Wouldn't want them or their fans in the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

thewing wrote:
    Wouldn't want them or their fans in the league

Please explain? as you could see last night there fans where full of colour and gave the team and great boast by there fanatical support. Every hear Celtic park when it is full signing? one of the best grounds in the World, great atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ziggy67 wrote:
    What is a home firm derby? Seriously if you don't know it is the Old Firm then people may doubt you are really a Rangers fan.
    Jeez, everybody knows that he's not. He just likes to wind up the Celtic fans and it's just a pity that they always take the bait. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Glorious isn't it?To hear songs about bobby sands and all that sectarian sh*te,..warms the cockles that one.

In the same way the chants between liverpool and Utd have grown particularly nasty in last couple of years(won it 2 times without killing anyone, munich airplane sound) I wouldn't want to hear that sh*te week in week out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

thewing wrote:
    Glorious isn't it?To hear songs about bobby sands and all that sectarian sh*te,..warms the cockles that one.

No, no, no, no ,no…..Celtic fans are not sectarian and do not sing sectarian songs and there is not an ounce of disrespect for people of other persuasions amongst them, they are the ‘best fans in the world’
    Stop saying bad things about Celtic or their fans, it’s just not true.

Rangers fans on the other hand are all sectarian and would love too see Scotland cleared of all Catholics and Irish.

Note : The above is based on what I have heard from Celtic fans defending themselves over the years and are open to debate, but remember Celtic fans are not sectarian all Rangers fans are.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

why do celtic fans think they should automatically go into the prem? if they come down to the english league they should go into the conference and earn their way up to the prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

iregk wrote:
    why do celtic fans think they should automatically go into the prem? if they come down to the english league they should go into the conference and earn their way up to the prem.

I agree totally...

Personally i think Celtic and Rangers would be good for the Premiership, start them out in the Championship , and let them get promoted.
    The reality is they are too big for the Scottish league, if Cardiff and Swansea are plying there trade in England, why not these Glasgow giants .
    Everthing changes with time, no point getting too bogged down in tradition, if change is good -- do it !
    Speaking as an Evertonian, I would much rather watch
    Everton v Celtic or Rangers than
    Everton v Wattfor or Wigan (on the box Sat !)

thebaz wrote:
    Personally i think Celtic and Rangers would be good for the Premiership, start them out in the Championship , and let them get promoted.

What about the Championship teams? Just ignore them yeah?

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    What about the Championship teams? Just ignore them yeah?
    The size of these leagues has not being static over the years , use a bit of imagination, one more relegated, one less promoted, then add the old Firm .
    With the extra TV revenue and imaginative thinking it could happen , i just think it would, overall ,be good for most parties , and me as a spectator.

thebaz wrote:
    The size of these leagues has not being static over the years , use a bit of imagination, one more relegated, one less promoted, then add the old Firm .
    With the extra TV revenue and imaginative thinking it could happen , i just think it would, overall ,be good for most parties , and me as a spectator.
    Would it be good for spectators in Scotland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

ziggy67 wrote:
    I'm not saying it would be plain sailing but IMO we would improve simply because we would get better players that (understandably) would not come to Scotland. We would be looking at an entirely different team within 2 years.
    The same could be said for any team in the world.
    One that may not "bloody well struggle" (would love to know what you based that on BTW) but actually do quite well.

There's a difference between playing a few tough games a season against Rangers and Hearts (tough being a relative term...) and playing 18 teams that are slightly better than the likes of Falkirk week in, week out.

johnos wrote:
    Would it be good for spectators in Scotland?
    The reality is that Celtic and Rangers have outgrown the Scottish league, I can not remember the last time another team won it.
    If you removed the old firm it would make the league more competitive, and therefore more entertaining for non old firm fans, meanwhile old firm fans would get serious competive football , on a regular basis ---
    How can a league where only 2 teams can win it , be deemed entertaining ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PiE wrote:
    The same could be said for any team in the world.

There's a difference between playing a few tough games a season against Rangers and Hearts (tough being a relative term...) and playing 18 teams that are slightly better than the likes of Falkirk week in, week out.
    Just because they play in the SPL means they'll struggle in the premiership? Are you not going to judge the team by the players at the club? Venegoor's a regular in the Dutch squad. Jarosik made a recent Czech Republic squad. Gravesen is one of Denmark's better players. Zurawski and Boruc are regulars for Poland. Maloney will be Scotland's star player when he gets back to full fitness, class act. Nakamura's probably Japans best ever player. You post a Nakamura video on youtube and it gets 1,000 views in seconds with all the Japanese. ;) Petrov goes down to Villa and gets man of the match on his debut. I'd honestly be suprised if he got motm with a performance like that for Celtic but maybe the fact he's a new signing played it's part.

I'm not going to mention the defence as it's brutal but I can imagine Watford with so many quality internationals. Look how well Arteta is doing at Everton. He's not a patch on Maloney or Naka. :)

As for the main topic, I can't see Celtic ever playing in the premiership no matter how much the board want it. Celtic get £2m in TV revenue, the likes of Everton get £40m. If they joined the SPL it'd be a couple of years before there up there with the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

would the plastic paddy supporters change their allegiance to the other catholic team in scotland then?

I'd recommend the Hibees over Dundee United if this were to happen. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

As others have said Cardiff play in "english championship" and could be in "english premiership" next season. Why can Welsh clubs play in Premiership and Scots cant? bit unfair dont you think?

They could start off by playing a reserve side in the lower englsih leagues while still playing in SPL,then when they get to championship they could play their first team .

Football is a business and it makes financial sense for two of the biggest clubs on island of britain to be in top league on the island. im not a big fan of either club BTW.

nah, dundee ud were never an alternative. funnily enough, i always liked them for the wolves like strip.

as for my support of rangers, i fail to see what that has to do with allowing a scottish team into the EPL.

and as for calling my support of a team into question, well go right ahead, it doesnt bother me in the slightest. seriously, if people have to go trawling thunderdome to try and find something out shows just how sad some people are.

if any team was to be allowed into the league, then i would be upset if they didnt do the wimbeldon afc route, and enter the lowest leagues first and work their way up through those, then conference and then 2nd division.

to suggest that a club would go straight into the top league in the land is just silly.

but i think my point still stands, i dont think there is any teamin the scottish league that would do better than 5 or 6th in the epl, and i dont think they would even manage that more than once. mid table fotgetableness at best. and im not saying that becuase people think im anti celtic. im actually not. i say it becuase its what i believe that neither rangers nor celtic are really top table EPL teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

thebaz wrote:
    How can a league where only 2 teams can win it , be deemed entertaining ?

Whats to be said for the premiership then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

iregk wrote:

True, there's only ever 2-4 teams that ever look like a chance of winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

As others have said Cardiff play in "english championship" and could be in "english premiership" next season. Why can Welsh clubs play in Premiership and Scots cant? bit unfair dont you think?

Not at all, those Welsh clubs played in England for decades before the Welsh League was setup (a requirement if Wales wanted to keep a national team).

Those clubs had contracts with staff and players, to turf them out of England and force them to play in a new unpopular league would have been catastrophic for the clubs involved.

Same way Lichenstein teams play in Switzerland (I think they have a dispensation with league requirements due to size (as a result, they have no Champions League spot), but their teams play in foreign leagues as there was none setup in their native countries - Celtic are just bored of the challenge? Doesn't give them a right to move).

The Scottish leagues have been in place for what, about a century now? To move from that would be a joke (especially if they went in at the top). The Welsh league, in contrast, is only a few years old IIRC. Teams from the Welsh league now, would never move into England. Many wouldn't want to, but I don't think they'd be allowed.

iregk wrote:
    Since ive followed football i only remember 2 teams winning the league in Scotland .
    In England theres been Everton, Liverpool, Blackburn, Arsenal , Man Utd. , Chelsea
    As well as that Newcastle , Villa have threatened at times , the Scottish league is a 2 horse race , year in year out, Chelsea are dominant now in the premiership, but at least the challengers change .
    Anyway, i just think it would be good for Celtic or Rangers to up there level on a weekly basis, of course some die hards will continue to want to play Falkirk, but you cant please everyone -- if life never changed it would be boring !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Let's just say hypothetically Celtic and Rangers are allowed into the PL. What happens to the Champion's League spots?

If Scottish teams were allowed play in the English league, on what principle would you exclude Dutch or French teams?
    Would Celtic supporters argue that those countries' clubs don't play under a Union Jack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

johnos wrote:
    If Scottish teams were allowed play in the English league, on what principle would you exclude Dutch or French teams?
    Would Celtic supporters argue that those countries' clubs don't play under a Union Jack?
    Celtic supporters know this isn't going to happen so wouldn't even try to argue that point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement