Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic for the premiership

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

johnos wrote:
    If Scottish teams were allowed play in the English league, on what principle would you exclude Dutch or French teams?
    Would Celtic supporters argue that those countries' clubs don't play under a Union Jack?

Location and possibly tradition - theres always been a healthy link between Man Utd/Liverpool/ Everton and Celtic .. and Chelsea and Rangers ..

Ajax and Lyon etc are on mainland europe , besides the French league is healthy eneogh -- but i take your point about Dutch teams , primarily Ajax ..

Even Fergie is saying today , that Celtic woke up Old Trafford during the week.
    As a neutral (Evertonian) I found the mid week match highly entertaining, and would like to see more of it ... its Wigan this week for us, a trip to Ibrox or Parkhead would be a bit more intoxicating .. but i can dream :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i do recall a when a bunch of people were looking to set up a dublin city football club and looked into getting it tinto the scottish league.

they were declined. think that was about 10-15 years ago.

as for french or dutch teams lookin to join the EPL, do you really think the french and dutch leagues are that crap that they would consider leaving to go to some sub conference sunday league division?

aye, lyon in the dr martin conference league all right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

i think he was saying hypothetically why not have french and dutch teams joining the EPL if we are to have scotish. Not to be taken literally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should we be looking to recruit Rosenborg and Olympiakos too seeing as they are far too strong for their respective domestic leagues?

No way should Scottish teams be allowed join. It would be an economic disaster for the league if it was to lose it's two biggest teams. They should stay put and deal with the fact that they are a big fish in small pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

thebaz wrote:
    Location and possibly tradition - theres always been a healthy link between Man Utd/Liverpool/ Everton and Celtic .. and Chelsea and Rangers ..

Ajax and Lyon etc are on mainland europe , besides the French league is healthy eneogh -- but i take your point about Dutch teams , primarily Ajax ..

Even Fergie is saying today , that Celtic woke up Old Trafford during the week.
    As a neutral (Evertonian) I found the mid week match highly entertaining, and would like to see more of it ... its Wigan this week for us, a trip to Ibrox or Parkhead would be a bit more intoxicating .. but i can dream :D
    Location and tradition would, it seems to me, point towards having Scottish teams accept their, er, locations and traditions. Have we gone full circle? :D

johnos wrote:
    Location and tradition would, it seems to me, point towards having Scottish teams accept their, er, locations and traditions. Have we gone full circle? :D

This was in relation to your post :-

"If Scottish teams were allowed play in the English league, on what principle would you exclude Dutch or French teams?"

Anyway i think we will have to agree to disagree , you want Celtic and Rangers to stay put , and i would like to see them move on --

roll on Wigan !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

thebaz wrote:
    This was in relation to your post :-

"If Scottish teams were allowed play in the English league, on what principle would you exclude Dutch or French teams?"

Anyway i think we will have to agree to disagree , you want Celtic and Rangers to stay put , and i would like to see them move on --

roll on Wigan !

Would anyone be sent up to replace them? Or would you just be nabbing the best from another league? In 10 years would you like Hearts/Hibs/Whoever to move on down when they become too big for Scotland?

There is no real reason as to why this should happen, barring people like the above basically deciding that some of the other 19 teams in the Premiership aren't good enough to be playing the team they follow. In the above case, Wigan appear to be dismissed as not worthy enough of playing Everton. I'd say the tune would be changed if Everton were booted out of the top flight to make way for the Scottish teams.

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Would anyone be sent up to replace them? Or would you just be nabbing the best from another league? In 10 years would you like Hearts/Hibs/Whoever to move on down when they become too big for Scotland?

There is no real reason as to why this should happen, barring people like the above basically deciding that some of the other 19 teams in the Premiership aren't good enough to be playing the team they follow. In the above case, Wigan appear to be dismissed as not worthy enough of playing Everton. I'd say the tune would be changed if Everton were booted out of the top flight to make way for the Scottish teams.

I'd hardly be alone in saying i'd prefer watch Everton against Celtic than Wigan.

Every year , Everton risk relegation , something that is impossible for Celtic or Rangers .

Things can actually change in Sport (for the better !), the Ryder cup used to be Britain and Ireland against the US, but it became boring , and the format was changed to include Europe , and the results are pretty obvious at the moment .
    Rugby Union went professional , was Munster winning the Heineken Cup, bad for rugby ? even though traditionalists didn't want professionalism .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

thebaz wrote:
    Every year , Everton risk relegation , something that is impossible for Celtic or Rangers

If thats the case then why not let Celtic or Rangers take Evertons place in the PL?

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If thats the case then why not let Celtic or Rangers take Evertons place in the PL?

??
    Why should they ?
    if Everton are in the bottom 3 , they get relegated !
    If Celtic/Rangers get added as extra teams , or get promoted from Championship, whoever is in bottom 3 of premiership would still get relegated ...

Sure there would be problems , and will not suit everyone, but any proposals for change, will always have obstacles.
    I'm sure there were many that said dont let rest of Europe participate in Ryder Cup, so as to guard there vested interest -- anyway as a fan i just think it would be good , but accept it wouldn't suit all!
    Agree to differ !!!

thebaz wrote:
    ??
    Why should they ?
    if Everton are in the bottom 3 , they get relegated !
    If Celtic/Rangers get added as extra teams , or get promoted from Championship, whoever is in bottom 3 of premiership would still get relegated ...

Sure there would be problems , and will not suit everyone, but any proposals for change, will always have obstacles.
    I'm sure there were many that said dont let rest of Europe participate in Ryder Cup, so as to guard there vested interest -- anyway as a fan i just think it would be good , but accept it wouldn't suit all!
    Agree to differ !!!

So we make the Championship a 26 team league? Not very fair on Championship teams, is it?

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    So we make the Championship a 26 team league? Not very fair on Championship teams, is it?
    Accept 26 would be too many teams, but im sure theyd accept the additional revenue of playing Celtic and Rangers.
    Theres eneough money and administrators in the FA to draft up some acceptable and workable arrangement , if they wanted .
    But i agree , there probably is not a desire with the FA , to add them in -- just my opinion, that after Wednesday night , it would be good to see them in the Premiership , as i find the Scottish Premiership a bore , apart from the old firm battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

thebaz wrote:
    , it would be good to see them in the Premiership , as i find the Scottish Premiership a bore , apart from the old firm battle.
    What a joke !
    Celtic and Rangers are Scottish ergo should play in the Scottish League not decide to move to other leagues when they get "bored" of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

4 pages on something that everybody agrees will not happen!!

If it was not for the massive money differential, this would be buried years ago.

As an aside, I firmly believe whilst the UK exists, there should be a UK national team and a UK league. Not 4 bites at the cherry!

Another aside, what do people mean by 'our' league?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

it will never happen!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I personally think there should be a British Isles league, but maintaining the 5 national team status we currently have.

The effective reality is we have one proper league, and the rest simply function as feeder leagues, with some have aspirations of grandness. We might as well just **** it in one league, and were it not for the rule of one national league = one national team, I'm sure it would have happened ages ago.

That rule was implemented purely to stop such a thing, and it makes sense too.

PHB wrote:

The effective reality is we have one proper league,
    Who's we?

gustavo wrote:
    What a joke !
    Celtic and Rangers are Scottish ergo should play in the Scottish League not decide to move to other leagues when they get "bored" of them
    Cardiff are Welsh and top of the English Championship - is that a joke.
    Should the structure of the Scottish league never change, no matter how predictable it becomes ?

thebaz wrote:
    Cardiff are Welsh and top of the English Championship - is that a joke.

Thats already been addressed.
    thebaz wrote:
    Should the structure of the Scottish league never change, no matter how predictable it becomes ?

Nope. If a team (or two teams) gets too big for a league you can't just "promote" them to a new country.

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote:
    Who's we?

The "British" Isles apparently...

Ah well if thats the case why dont we just give up altogher and throw our lot back in with Britain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

PHB wrote:
    I personally think there should be a British Isles league, but maintaining the 5 national team status we currently have.
    Agent provocateur for the GAA...

PHB wrote:

Not to mention a Scandanavian league, incorporating Denamark, Sweden, Norway, etc. Oh, and a Continental league, including the likes of France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Perhaps an Eastern league, for Poland, Austria, and the likes.

Then in a few years we'll merge some of them, and eventually merge it all into one superleague?

Advertisement