Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub near Ilac centre

Options
  • 14-09-2006 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hey,

This may be going back a few years..

Before I moved into Dublin, back in the day when coming into the City Centre was a day out, I remember there used to be a pub down beside the Ilac, possibly on Moore Street, but I can't be sure. It was basically a single story block, with one window. The window had a tricolour flag hanging in it, to block out the light, and had there were bars over the window. I seem to recall there was a single Guinness sign mounted on the wall.

Does anyone remember this pub? What was it called? When/Why did it close. Was it as rough as it looked?

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Does anyone remember this pub? What was it called? When/Why did it close. Was it as rough as it looked?

I remember it. I don't know if it even had a name! Closed presumably due to property development. Lidl is on the site now.

I was too afraid to go in so I don't know how rough it was! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Think it was Trader Johns???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Cap`tn Codpiece

O`neills was the place a smelly little kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Were you in it? Apart from it being smelly, what was it like inside? Can't imagine it was very big.

This thread is sparked off from the other thread about pubs that are derelict btw..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Speaking of rough pubs, what about The Honey Pot in Gardiner Street. It's long gone now but I was in it once in the 1980s - not for the faint hearted. :)
    (That was when Gardiner Street was semi derelict wasteland - not built up like today).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Speaking of rough pubs, what about The Honey Pot in Gardiner Street. It's long gone now but I was in it once in the 1980s - not for the faint hearted. :)
    (That was when Gardiner Street was semi derelict wasteland - not built up like today).

Never heard of this but I am only a pup,were was it exactly...?

Dub13 wrote:
    Never heard of this but I am only a pup,were was it exactly...?
    It was on the corner of Gardiner street and Parnell street, if I remember correctly. It looked like a place that had went on fire but they just recommenced trading without cleaning it up. I only went in for a bet. A friend waited outside with the engine running. Like all rough pubs, it had a creaky door , which, when opened ensured silence from within. Quickest pint I ever had.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

LOL....how much did you win...?

This kind of "Self Entertainment" should be a reminder to everybody of what little there was to do in this city before the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

It was on the corner of Gardiner street and Parnell street, if I remember correctly. It looked like a place that had went on fire but they just recommenced trading without cleaning it up. I only went in for a bet. A friend waited outside with the engine running. Like all rough pubs, it had a creaky door , which, when opened ensured silence from within. Quickest pint I ever had.

Christ.. that sounds scary. And just around the corner from where I live. Which corner was it, the one with the big apartment block, or the one with Londis on it?

My first recollection of Gardiner St was walking up it from Talbot Street, in the early 90's to go see The Stunning in the SFX. I don't remember exactly what it looked like, but I remember it was a bit scary (I was only about 13 and had not lived in Dublin since I was a baby). I seem to recall lots of deralict buildings..

Which corner was it, the one with the big apartment block, or the one with Londis on it?
    It was on the right as you go down Gardiner Street and on the lower corner, i.e. the southern corner.(Apologies, I'm not overly familiar with it now - I can't place the Londis shop)
    seem to recall lots of deralict buildings..
    Yes, and wastelands where all the apartment blocks are now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Morse

This was the pub. I had my first pints there with my nanny and some of the people from the stalls.

I can even remember 'Trader Johns' before it was given that silly name. I think it might have been O'Neills too. I was brought in there by my parents as a child. We're originally from Summerhill so these were more or less our locals.

Advertisement