Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A windows 2003 server

• 14-09-2006 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

My ambition is to setup windows 2003 on an old computer, connect a large usb external harddrive, wireless adapter and speakers to it and access my files, play my music and connect to the internet through it. well the first thing i did was set it up so that I could access it using remote desktop over an ad hoc wireless connection which worked well and takes care of the playing music part(after a little difficulty with direct sound) I then setup the file server feature on it which went fine but regardless of what i try I can get my xp computer to find the shared folders even though when connected to the windows 2003 server with remote desktop it shares it's drives with the server and they show up fine. I've scanned the server to check if all the necessary posts are open and they are and windows filesharing is enables over the wireless connection, any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

For a start win2003 is totally OTT for what your trying to do. My 2c on that one.

This can be caused by Firewall, user accounts (permissions), user rights, file sharing not enabled, different workgroups.

I would suggest you disable your firewall and try to connect. If it does you know your problem. Win firewall may look configured but some times it not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I agree windows 2003 is ott but it's what I had and I can't be bothered finding xp and reinstalling everything. firewall isn't the problem, as I said I checked that the ports were accessible and they are, I've configured them both with the same workgroup name and have tried, in xp, going to add new network place but it just says invalid folder or something(I do have these folders shared).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

layke wrote:
    For a start win2003 is totally OTT for what your trying to do. My 2c on that one.

This can be caused by Firewall, user accounts (permissions), user rights, file sharing not enabled, different workgroups.

I would suggest you disable your firewall and try to connect. If it does you know your problem. Win firewall may look configured but some times it not.

What would you have suggested? Thinking about doing something similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Windows 2000/XP Pro would handle that job easily. With Win2k you'd need to use VNC or some other software for the remote desktop unless you have Windows 2000 server.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

read the charter - do you have a valid license for 2003 ?

WINDOWS costs money and OEM licenses are non transferrable. Unless you acquire a legitimite non-OEM license you can't install windows on an old machine.

anyway 2003 is way over kill

Since there is no point in using the trial version to store data as you'd have to wipe and reinistall ever few months.

So go back and look at the licences you actually have or check to see if any OEM came with the OLD PC..

• Advertisement
Advertisement