Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax advice - Paying VAT when building my own house

Options
  • 14-09-2006 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope this is the right forum

Just wondering if someone can help me here.

Anyways,
    I am building my own house through direct labour. This is my own personal residence

Alot of the sub-contractors do not to issue me with invoices. I do ask as I believe we should all pay our way, but some just wont. So, I just make their cheque to their name & whatever the amount agreed.

I make the cheque out to their name, so I have refernce of who I paid

The agreement with the plumber was to do the same work as my sisters house. Same work & cost. OK No worries

Anyways, I pay him first installment and he wants cash

as in notes, not a cheque.

He got notes from my sister. I provided cash for first installment merely to save hassle. Howver, now he wants remainder in cash again. €5,000 apprx.

I am concerned as to the VAT implications for me if I have to pay notes again? (Ettically I am not too happy about it either)

Anyone have some advice

Thanks

Motm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Not sure what your legal obligations are, but I'd be onto the revenue with your 'tradesmens' details. People like your plumber make me sick. In fact... give me their details and I'll get them a nice audit for christmas...!! I run a small business, and have told clients where to go when they have offered me 'cash' in return for a discount...

No Invoice, No Job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If its the building of a private residence for yourself then I wouldnt worry about how payment is made and if there is not invoice.

Its clear that these boys want to be paid cash so they dont declare it in their tax return.

The only problem I would have this is that if theres an issue with the workmanship its your word against theirs.

Theres no problem paying cash, keep a record in a book of all payments, to who, and very important - the period in which the payment covers. But get an invoice from them.

Proof of purchase.

Advertisement