Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nokia CK-7W or something else?

Options
  • 14-09-2006 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I need to get a Nokia CK-7W handsfree kit installed in my car (VW Golf Mark V). At the same time as installing the carkit I want to install a Dension Ice link plus for my Ipod. So far the best price (including a cradle and installation) I can find for the Nokia kit is €279 from carkits.ie - can anyone recommend a cheaper option?
    I would be interested in installing both of them myslef - I have found a guide on how to remove the stereo headunit in the Golf - but I would not be too sure on how to connect up to the stereo! Does anyone know if there is any soldering required, and also how to run the microphone up to the sun visor (I don't want to go ripping the car apart :eek:

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Barty wrote:
    I need to get a Nokia CK-7W handsfree kit installed in my car (VW Golf Mark V). At the same time as installing the carkit I want to install a Dension Ice link plus for my Ipod. So far the best price (including a cradle and installation) I can find for the Nokia kit is €279 from carkits.ie - can anyone recommend a cheaper option?
    I would be interested in installing both of them myslef - I have found a guide on how to remove the stereo headunit in the Golf - but I would not be too sure on how to connect up to the stereo! Does anyone know if there is any soldering required, and also how to run the microphone up to the sun visor (I don't want to go ripping the car apart :eek:

Thanks in advance.

You can buy what's called a "mute Kit" which simply plugs into your vw stereo at the rear and does away with the speaker and the need to find power and cut cables. They're fairly cheap too. I have one in my VW. So they are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Barty

Thanks bbability - any chance you know where I could get one of these mute kits - or did your VW come with it already installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

I got the Parrot CK3100 installed for €239 (I think) from www.phonesonline.ie

It's a nice piece of kit and works with nearly every bluetooth phone (handy for resale value).

The only complaint I have is that the installer didn't pipe the sound through the car speakers so for motorway driving it can be a little difficult to hear from the speaker that he installed behind my stereo (I think he did that because an unbundled cable, an ISO connector, was required).

All the wiring instructions are available on the website www.parrot.biz and you can pick up a cheap one from www.expansys.ie if you want to install yourself and save some money.

EDIT: Fixed spelling of 'Parrot'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh I'd go for the Parrot unit if I were you. I got mine off expansys and got the ISO connector cable off Siocommunications.co.uk and did it all myself having no experience of in-car audio and it was so easy, if you can follow a wiring diagram you'll be grand. The wire for the microphone will just run up along the A pillar of the car. Cost me about €150 in total as far as I can remember. I have the CK3000 Evolution

Thanks for all the info - the reason I want the Nokia CK-7W is that I can use the cradle. I don't think that I would use the bluetooth option that much, as I do alot of short trips and I would prefer to just get into the car and put the phone in the cradle, rather than turning on the bluetooth in the phone when I get into the car and then turn it off when I get out (not alot of hassle for long trips - but as I say I do alot of short trips).
    I would have no problem reading a wiring diagram - but I would like to have a neat finish (eg the cable for the mic to run up the A pillar but on the inside so the cable does not show)

• Advertisement

Barty wrote:
    Thanks for all the info - the reason I want the Nokia CK-7W is that I can use the cradle. I don't think that I would use the bluetooth option that much, as I do alot of short trips and I would prefer to just get into the car and put the phone in the cradle, rather than turning on the bluetooth in the phone when I get into the car and then turn it off when I get out (not alot of hassle for long trips - but as I say I do alot of short trips).
    I would have no problem reading a wiring diagram - but I would like to have a neat finish (eg the cable for the mic to run up the A pillar but on the inside so the cable does not show)
    To be honest if you are going to be making a lot of short trips, the bluetooth is even handier because you can just leave the bluetooth on all day and the phone will automatically sync with the system each time you get into the car. The cable should sit in behind the A pillar completely out of sight no problems, just tuck it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I have the Parrot CK3100 as well and I'd definitely recommend it.

Just leave Bluetooth on all the time on your phone and as soon as you get into the car and start it the phone and car kit sync up. You can just leave your phone in your pocket and never touch it . All calls can be made through voice dialling, and you can access your phonebook via the control unit. Great piece of kit.

I'd recommend getting a proper install unless you really know what you're doing. The guy who did mine did a really neat job with the cables etc., and it's wired through my car speakers and radio with a mute cable, so the radio mutes when I get or make a call and the kit uses the car's speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Have a look at this

http://www.expansys.ie/product.asp?code=136307

Don't think it's bluetooth but I've seen the kit and looked easy to fit. I'm no technical genius but would have fitted it myself but the cradle we had didn't fit my phone. Can be bought with different cradles and if you change your phone a new cradle is cheap and you just unclip the one that is in, and clip in the new one.

One of my collegues has the kit in his golf through the speakers and it works fine.

Thanks again for all the info.
    After reading up a bit about it - I am definitely going to go for the Nokia Ck-7W with the cradle. Along with everyone's reccommendations above, I have read that the Parrot kits are very good - but the phone I have at the moment is a Nokia 6230 and even though it's not a bad phone, if I leave the bluetooth on for a full day the battery will need to be charged every evening - hence the reason for wanting the cradle.
    All I need to find now is a "telemuting cable" so that the sound will come out through the stereo speakers - if anyone can direct me to a website for this I would really appreciate it.
    To buy the kit and cradle from Expansys it will cost €180.46 (including shipping) - anyone able to reccomend a cheaper option?
    Finally - carkits.ie installation service say that they provide an aerial - anyone know what they mean by this - will it come in the kit from expansys?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Barty wrote:
    I don't think that I would use the bluetooth option that much, as I do alot of short trips and I would prefer to just get into the car and put the phone in the cradle, rather than turning on the bluetooth in the phone when I get into the car and then turn it off when I get out (not alot of hassle for long trips - but as I say I do alot of short trips).
    If you do a lot of short trips then the bluetooth option is by far the best option!

Why keep taking the phone in and out of your pocket? Just leave it in your pocket! I am not sure I understand your reasons of the "hassle" betweel long and short trips!

I got my Nokia kit delivered for €80 - fitting is easy!

• Advertisement

I should correct what I said - I do alot of short trips, as in work is 5 miles away, go there in the morning and back in the evening - then in the evening I might call around to friends. If I was a sales rep where I was travelling all day and getting in and out of the car alot then I would agree that the bluetooth would be the best option, but my 4 - 6 short trips a day I would prefer to just use the cradle.

Atlantean - Where did you get your kit for €80 - which kit is it? For the CK-7W the only reason I want to get it professionally fitted is that I'm not sure I know how to route the mic or the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

I was in the same situation, wanted the cradle for charging ect, but also wanted the flexability of bluetooth incase i changed phones ect... so i went for the CK-7W. Also if the bluetooth was on all the time, i'd need to charge my phone every day or so...

You can buy the CK-7W from carphone warehouse for 180Euro, and that includes everything you need.

Its not too hard to fit, if you've ever fitted a car stereo it will be no problem. It also comes with a little remote button that allows you adjust the volume & accept incoming calls, which is nice.

Hi,
    Does the kit from the carphone warehouse come with the cradle, external antenna and telemuting cables (for routing the sound through the car speakers)?

Thanks.

Why not just get a cigarette charger u can use if your battery is running low.

Thanks for the suggestion but I guess at the start of this thread I should have said that I have 2 phones (one work and one personal - both Nokia 6230's) This is another reason for not using the bluetooth option that much as I could only connect one phone at a time to the bluetooth - whereas with the cradle I could place whichever phone I needed into the cradle.

This is what I need to get:
    1 x CK-7W (Nokia bluetooth kit)
    1 x MBC-15S (Cradle for Nokia phone)
    1 x AXF-15S (Nokia Antenna Coupler)
    1 x 06-208B (Telemuting cable to route the sound through the car speakers)

The best I can find this is from http://www.siocommunications.co.uk for a cost of €200 (including shipping) - if anyone can provide a cheaper option I would greatly appreciate it (I have tried Ebay but cannot find one seller that sells all 4 components)

Many Thanks.

Advertisement