Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting Pebbledash

Options
  • 14-09-2006 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,
    Has anyone got any ideas of the best way to paint a pebbledash house? I'm using a 6" brush but seems to take forever to get in to all the little nooks and crannies.
    Thanks,
    Rob.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hannah00

You can now buy a sprayer for outdoor painting. I painted my house last year with a brush & its a pain in the a**. I think the sprayer is about €35 and you need the weathershield which is specifically for spraying.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Don't worry too much about the nooks and crannies once you get above eye level. (only the windowcleaner will ever notice)

Re: spraying outdoors, watch the overspray (neighbours car etc...)
    Maybe use brush to paint the last few feet around doors & windows.

Did some spraying with a cheap sprayer from Lidl last year.
    Was a pain to have to refill it every 2 mins, so bear that in mind if choosing a sprayer with a small cannister.

Also paint needed to be diluted 1 part to 5 parts water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

just use a deep pile roller. (its just a very thick soft roller head. get 3 or 4 of them, should be loads. it will get into most places first time around, might help to wash down the wall first to remove any major dirt. i personally wouldnt use a sprayer as id prob get it everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

I hadnt got time to pait my house which is pebble dashed. Rang a few painter and was told that they all spray them now. You can get a pray gun with a type of shield to stop accidental spraying.

HJS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

You can get a special heavy pile roller to use on dashing,I think its around ten inches in width and can become heavy once fully loaded with paint,plus it would be a good idea to get a sturdy pole to use with it.

While I was down in Dulux trade centre a while back they have this new sprayer(EasySpray) for dashing,it sort of fits on your back like a backpack.I think it was €29 and they are selling paint with it which said on can to use with this sprayer(Its a gimmick though) as its very expenisve for paint thats let out with water.

Just buy weather sheild and let out to viscosity were you can spray it with sprayer....EasySpray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

There was a lengthy lengthy post here from a guy a couple of months ago, who got into major trouble with his neighbour after his spray paint strayed a bit too far.

You've been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Brush is best.

Make sure to get a proper sized brush for painting dash.

It is many years since we put on the first coat but we had to apply a stabilising lotion to the dash first. BLUE CIRCLE stabilising lotion as far as I remember.

I am not sure if modern outdoor emulsions like Sandtex and Weathershield contain ingredients that negate the need to do stabiliser now.

Painters will certainly use sprayguns. It uses a bit less paint as it is diluted to go through the gun. It is quicker. It looks lovely just after it is finished. Then after a year it looks **** when the thin coat fades......

There is a lot more preparation and cleaning up after spraying.

The brush is tedious when it is the first application. Subsequent applications over the years become easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

RobC123 wrote:
    Hi,
    Has anyone got any ideas of the best way to paint a pebbledash house? I'm using a 6" brush but seems to take forever to get in to all the little nooks and crannies.
    Thanks,
    Rob.

try a 4", maybe a bit slower but easier to manage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

AnnaStezia wrote:
    Painters will certainly use sprayguns. It uses a bit less paint as it is diluted to go through the gun. It is quicker.

Actually a spray gun uses a lot more paint,it is quicker and depending on spray gun there is no need water down paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

HJ Simpson wrote:
    You can get a pray gun with a type of shield to stop accidental spraying.
    Just the job for the DIYers :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 propertysue

I just use the brushes they supply for painting the fences, it is a painfull but does a good job and the first coat is still fine three years on, I used weathershield.
    Sue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

1st coat brush
    2nd coat spray

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

mad m wrote:
    You can get a special heavy pile roller to use on dashing,I think its around ten inches in width and can become heavy once fully loaded with paint,plus it would be a good idea to get a sturdy pole to use with it.
    Yeah, that's what I used the last time I painted the house. It's a 12" roller with long pile sleeve.

I put 2 coats on the dash as it was never painted before and had deep crevices between the pebbles. The first coat was with paint I thinned first. The thinner paint made it easier to fill the paint into the nooks, and then the final coat was with undiluted paint.

Just bear in mind the dash plays havoc with the sleeves and they'll be totally useless afterwards! :D

Advertisement