Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sentai Fortress

Options
  • 14-09-2006 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

So yeah... I'm weak. And after the Lego Batman incident I've promised myself no more lego until Christmas. And this includes Mindstorms NXT. So no review from me.

I couldn't resist Sentai Fortress from the Exo-Force range - I'm pretty hugely into the idea of the nice poseable mecha and the little minifigs.

I do like it - Firstly, it's got the hugest instruction manual for any set I've ever built (and I've built a few.) I'm guessing the monster sets (Death Star, Imperial Star Destroyer (not the minifig scale one)) are bigger, but I was still a bit staggered.

It comes with two Mecha, one for the good guys and one for the bad guys. The good guy one is a little like the Stealth Hunter but chunkier, and with a blue color scheme. I know a lot of people complain about the back of the exo-force models and the similarity of the construction. Same problems here, but I'm still a fan. The bad guy Mech is nothing to write home about. It's not quite as poseable as the other ones, probably due to the fact that its construction is entirely different.

The base itself is great fun - It consists of a big "stargate" on the front (I loved the way this was constructed) and two "fence" sections joined to a "repair bay" at the back. I think the repair bay is great, though it suffers a bit from "large piece" syndrome. Both of the fence sections attach to "tower" sections, and with the 8 minifigs you get with the thing it's pretty much well-playable. Even more so if you've got some bad guy stuff to siege the base with.

From a pose point of view, I've got all my pilots lined up with their respective mecha at the moment in the computer room - Looks ever so Robotech.

The wee man plays with the exo-force stuff. We've decided that the pilots shouldn't wear their (silly) manga hairstyles into the mechs, so we've borrowed a bunch of Blacktron and Spyrius helmets for them to wear when they're piloting. I *really* like the bad guy "robots" from exo-force. A proper original mini-fig bad guy, at last! I mean Blacktron were bad guys but they were all grinning (which I suppose made them a bit scary.) The nearest we have to bad guys are the Stormtroopers and Battle Droids from Star Wars.

Sooo...

Pieces - 3 out of 4 (docking one mark for big pieces.)
    Playability - 4 out of 4 (big playset with fun models.)
    Construction - 3 out of 4 (docking one mark for repetitive bits on fence and mech)
    Overall - 10/12.

Nick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭El Nick

Oh yeah - The Disc throwers.

There's a new disc-throwing weapon on the exo-force stuff. There's one on the Mobile Defense Tank, one on Striking Venom and two on the fortress.

I hate them.

Firstly, the discs that you load in aren't held in place in any way (unless you craft a lid of some kind, heh heh heh) and tend to scatter everywhere. Secondly, the firing mechanism is *pants* and tends to fire one disc a disappointing couple of inches, the shock of which typically fires a couple of discs out the top of the thing as well.

Naff.

Nick.

Advertisement