Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am i going to jail?!?!

Options
  • 14-09-2006 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Had a pretty serious run in with the law today.

Okay my cars been in the garage weeks now and today it was finally ready for collection, i only have a prov licence and during the time the car was in the garage this got stolen on me but i went to the garda and got a form stamped and what not.

I picked the car up and on the way home i crawled past a garda going EXACTLY 64kmh (according to the display) in a 60 zone. I obviouslt got pulled and told i was going 70kmh! I argued a bit and made it clear my car had said otherwise but the garda wouldnt budge from his 70 stance!! - CONVICTION ONE

He then went on a mental on for not having a fully licenced holder sitting beside me and no L-Plates up. I told him i did have l-plates but they wernt on my car when i picked it us as they were the magnetic ones that stuck on the outside so anyone could have stolen them. He didnt listen - CONVICTION TWO

I FULLY expect to get 3 points, 2 for speeding and another 1 for not have the licenced holder beside me.

But i have a much bigger problem to worry about.

My licence was due to expire the month, the exact date i have to idea it could have been next week or it could have been 10 days ago i CANT remeber for the life of me. So what happens there if my licence had indeed expired?!? Let us know guys! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭dubstub

Four words for you:

SOAP ON A ROPE

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

The Gardai doing their bit for fair play and public perception again. Bless 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You admit to breaking two laws.....
    You wont be going to jail and you should probably contact the guard to discuss the potential issue with yout license.
    Also-it might be worth taking such small matters as when your license goes out of date, a lot more seriously in future.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

if your license was expired it could invalidate your insurance policy due to the fact that you didnt have a license to drive so you could possibly add another 5 points there. i would make arrangements to speak with the guard at the earliest opportunity and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Surely you are entitled to challenge the validity of his 70kmh claim??
    Its too easy to roll over and get rode in this country, he sounds like a right prick anyway....how dare you question his authority !

Such a difference here between the cops here and the UK & USA....these forces have a public service mentality where as the Irish cops seem to go more for the chip on the shoulder attitude and invariably treat you like shoite.

• Advertisement

The poster said he was doing 64Kmph in a 60 Zone. The guard may have said he was doing 70 but the poster has already admitted he was in the wrong.
    He was also driving without an accompanied driver-its possible if the poster hadnt been so adamant that he was "only" doing 64 that the guard would not have looked further into his driving.
    Not all guards are going round with a chip on their shoulder. God knows there are enough posts in here moaning about unaccompanied L platted drivers and guards not upholding the law.
    Heres a post where the guard did his duty and still gets hammered for it.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Sizzler wrote:

Such a difference here between the cops here and the UK & USA....these forces have a public service mentality where as the Irish cops seem to go more for the chip on the shoulder attitude and invariably treat you like shoite.

are you serious? Every country has good cops and bad cops, IME Irish cops are up there with the best of them.

That, sadly, has not been my experience. British cops treat you with respect even if you have done something wrong. Lets face it he's 4 kmh over the limit and this pr1ck talks to him like he's Fred West? Uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

And even at 64kph, you could argue that you assumed you were still under the limit given that a lot of speedos are over calibrated by approx 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

did u request to see a valid certificate for the calibration of the officers speedometer

• Advertisement

Never mind all this nonsense of trying to get out of a speeding ticket.....
    Did you not notice that he is also getting done for driving without a fully licensed driver and may be getting done for no license and the resulting no insurance.
    I think you should worry about both of these charges more.
    Trying to wriggle out of a speeding ticket will not help either of these charges.

Most insurance certs state " ...holding, or HAVING HELD a license...". He should check. I have never heard of an out-of-date license voiding your insurance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh you really need to talk to a soliciter/barrister type, they can tell you exactly what you're next steps should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

kippy wrote:
    Never mind all this nonsense of trying to get out of a speeding ticket.....
    Did you not notice that he is also getting done for driving without a fully licensed driver and may be getting done for no license and the resulting no insurance.
    I think you should worry about both of these charges more.
    Trying to wriggle out of a speeding ticket will not help either of these charges.

well if the OP couldnt be arsed to take out his licence to check what date it was due to expire, or again check that info before posting up here, then whats the point in me even commenting on that?

he was also done for no plates and no fully licenced driver, again he cant argue with that. but as for the discrepancies in speed, that is something which will need to be proved, or is it back to the guards word against his.

next question is, did the guard look for your licence and if so, did he spot it was out of date? if not, whats to stop you from getting another licence in the meantime? as said above, you're best off just going to a solicitor and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Two questions re the speeding:

Do you have wheels on your car that are bigger than they should be? Like 17" alloys on a car that came with 13" steel wheels? If so your speedo will be wrong.

But... did the Garda actually show you the speed gun, with your speed, 70km/h on the display? I don't know why he didn't issue you with an on the spot fine. I suspect he was only guessing your speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My licence was due to expire the month, the exact date i have to idea it could have been next week or it could have been 10 days ago i CANT remeber for the life of me. So what happens there if my licence had indeed expired?!?

Now you know why you're supposed to have a responsible adult with you at all times (Oops, sorry, I meant 'qualified driver').

Tell us what it's like on the inside, Undercoverguy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

AFAIK, no this is purely AFAIK,

You can only get points for the single highest points offense at one given time.

e.g.
    If you are done for speeding, with no seatbelt in the hardshoulder of a motorway, you only get 2 points, as it is the single highest points offense you committed.

But as I said, AFAIK.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

did u request to see a valid certificate for the calibration of the officers speedometer
    I think he got the garda's back up enough without coming up with this line. The garda doesn't need to show that it has been calibrated. The onus is on the offender to prove that it is not calibrated properly!
    JHMEG wrote:
    But... did the Garda actually show you the speed gun, with your speed, 70km/h on the display? I don't know why he didn't issue you with an on the spot fine. I suspect he was only guessing your speed.
    From what I gather the garda does not necessarily have to show you the gun. The reading may have disappeared by the time the garda gets to show you. I may be wrong though.
    prospect wrote:
    You can only get points for the single highest points offense at one given time.
    I believe that is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I FULLY expect to get 3 points, 2 for speeding and another 1 for not have the licenced holder beside me.

There is no penalty point offence for driving unaccompanied at the moment. So from a penalty points pov, you're just looking at the 2 points for speeding. And anyway, like previous posters have said, you only get points for the highest offence.

If you decide to be a prick about it though, you could be summoned to court where you can potentially be convicted of driving without a licence (since driving unaccompanied invalidates your licence). Driving without a licence also means driving without insurance.

Did the garda in question give you a summons or did he just collect your details? If he just collected your details, then it's only the 2 points and the fine that you need to worry about. Are you meant to bring your licence into the garda station? I suggest if you're supposed to bring your licence into the garda station, then you ring them up and tell them the full story of how your licence was stolen and you're waiting on a new licence but couldn't remember the exact date of expiration. I'm pretty sure they'd be reasonable about the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kbannon wrote:
    The garda doesn't need to show that it has been calibrated. The onus is on the offender to prove that it is not calibrated properly!
    I'm not so sure about that kbannon. My sister in-law is a detective and we were discussing this recently. She informed me that if a motorist requests to see the certificate of calibration for the speed gun, they must provide it - otherwise the offence falls.

My licence was due to expire the month,
    It's considered to be a relatively minor offence. Lots of people around the country unwittingly let their licence expire. With a full licence, you are even allowed to let it lapse for ten years before you have to resit the test/tests.

(Michael O'Muricheartaigh did that - now he can't manage to pass the test again).

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    Driving without a licence also means driving without insurance.
    Not necessarily - it's at the discretion of the insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

...I argued a bit...

I've heard of a few people getting into bother for no L-plates and driving unaccompanied.

In all those cases, they "argued a bit" too.

Me suspects "argued a bit" was along the lines of "Bloody Guards! Go catch some real criminals!" :)

If you'd taken the fine, he probably would have left it at that.

Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Did the Garda give you a ticket? If not you won't get any points, he was just giving you a scare :D

For a full list of penalty points click on the link below

http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Sizzler wrote:
    Surely you are entitled to challenge the validity of his 70kmh claim??
    Its too easy to roll over and get rode in this country, he sounds like a right prick anyway....how dare you question his authority !

Yes! How dare a learner driver who -
    (a) was caught speeding
    (b) did not have L plates displated and
    (c) was driving unaccompanied

....question the "authority" of a garda.

As far as I can see, the Garda did a good job. It's about time they started cracking down on speeding learners and about time learners started to learn the rules of the road.

Now warnings, no bribes, no buddy-buddy.....you broke three laws and deserve any punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

overdriver wrote:
    Most insurance certs state " ...holding, or HAVING HELD a license...". He should check. I have never heard of an out-of-date license voiding your insurance.

If your license is out of date you are not legally allowed to drive in the eyes of the law. Generally speaking, your license needs to be valid to be....valid, otherwise you are driving illegally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kbannon wrote:
    I think he got the garda's back up enough without coming up with this line. The garda doesn't need to show that it has been calibrated. The onus is on the offender to prove that it is not calibrated properly!

You cannot in all honesty do that without seeing the cert, so the accused can never win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

You have absolutely no chance of going to jail (unless you have a suspended sentence or something). Worst case scenrio is a 6 - 12 month driving ban and a fine.

P.S

Get a good lawer, trust me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Okay guys, Just a few replies and updates.

To all the guys who came on and said i was speeding. Correct.
    By 4kmh, the only reason was due to the MASSIVE gap of traffic infront of my and the even bigger tailback behind me. - BRING ON THE POINTS

To all the guys who gave out about not having L-Plates. Not Totally Guilty.
    Durning the trip to the garage my magnetic plates dissappeared, it was only an hour or so ago i realised these were in my boot of my car. This is where the garage must have placed them while the car was being test driven overnight and what not. When i picked up the car i was under the assumption they were still on the car, this is due to my own careless-ness for not checking.

To all the guys about not having a fully licenced driver beside me.
    I've done 17 Driving Lessons, 2 Pretest Courses and have been driving a year now. I'm reckon i'm a little bit passed having mammy babysit me. Altho the law is the law and so i expect to get this point for this offence. However it seems to depend on the mood the garda is in. I got stoped 8 months ago by a garda at a Checkpoint and when asked where my fully licenced driver was i replied "Dont have one" to which he replied "Okay, Its a stupid law away" and then moved onto something else.

Also its odd that in less than 4 days from now i'll be allowed drive without fully licence person in the car yet today i wasnt!

FINALLY, I visited my local tax office. My licence was actually indate for another 7 Days (Due to end on 22/09/06) I also reapplied for my second prov licence which will be out to me by Tuesday. So come tuesday morning i'll drop down to the local garda station and present Licence, Insurance, Log Book and Tax than from that moment on all i have to worry about is.

- The Speeding Points (2)
    - No Fully Licenced Drive (1)
    - The Fine

So all in all its not as bad as i thought, Hopefully this day next month i'll be waving my FULL licence if i pass and most of this will never happen again.....

Unless of course i got caught going 52kmh in a 50kmh zone :eek: :eek:

DEAD GOD!!! What a mental driver that would make me! :rolleyes:

To all the guys who gave out about not having L-Plates. Not Totally Guilty.
    Durning the trip to the garage my magnetic plates dissappeared, it was only an hour or so ago i realised these were in my boot of my car
    The offence relates to non-display of L plates. The fact that they were in your boot is irrevelant. You would still be 'guilty' of the offence. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

tbh wrote:
    Irish cops are up there with the best of them.

i have to agree, when talking about bad cops from around the world,
    our boys are up with the best of them.

Advertisement