Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am i going to jail?!?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

i have to agree, when talking about bad cops from around the world,
    our boys are up with the best of them.

This is gas, a cop does his job, stops a speeding driver, doesn't matter if only a few Kmph over the speed limit does nobody see the ad about the distance you need to stop in case a kid runs out in front of you? that extra 4kph could mean life or death, if it is a 60kmph zone then its built up so yes the cop is in his perfect right to stop you. Also if the OP could see he was doing 64 why didnt he slow down if he knew it was a 60Kph? Did you drive along sitting watching the speedo just to make sure you where just over the limit in case a garda was around? dont think so

Then no L plates, another offence and it doesnt matter if they where in the boot etc, it is the law that a L driver has to have plates on the car. So don't drive the car if you don't have the plates. You are supposed to check your car before you drive to check these things and if you just took from a garage I am pretty sure you had a look around the car to make sure everything was ok with the car and they had fixed any damage etc that needed to be. So you would have spotted you had no L plates, so your in a garage, pay the 2-3 euro and buy new ones. The excuse doesn't wash with me. If you can't spot you have no L plates stuck to your car then what hope do we have you can spot any danger on the road? can you use your mirrors?

And of course no full license driver, glad to see the Garda coming down on this, I hope this will continue to happen and stop the attitude of L drivers who just hop into cars without a care for anyone else on the road and think it is ok to drive around with no full license driver. Well done Garda!!

Also if you cant bother to read yoru license or cant see no L plates I would go and check your eyes checked.
    To all the guys about not having a fully licenced driver beside me.
    I've done 17 Driving Lessons, 2 Pretest Courses and have been driving a year now. I'm reckon i'm a little bit passed having mammy babysit me. Altho the law is the law and so i expect to get this point for this offence. However it seems to depend on the mood the garda is in. I got stoped 8 months ago by a garda at a Checkpoint and when asked where my fully licenced driver was i replied "Dont have one" to which he replied "Okay, Its a stupid law away" and then moved onto something else.

To be honest that sounds like the biggest pile of .... I have ever heard in my life, as if a Garda is going to turn around and say straight out to a member of the public a law is stupid, no chance. They might discuss laws among themselves but never to the public. I have friends in the Garda and they wont even say to me which laws they think is stupid so the chance they said that to you are none.

Also if you are such a great driver after all your lessons did they not teach you the laws of the road? the speed limits? how to use your mirrors? how to check your vehicle before you drive etc? seems like they didnt

To be honest I hope they throw the book at you and start doing it to alot more drivers to quit all these deaths on the road and the massive insurance I have to pay because of it.

Oh yeha quit with the Garda bashing, a Garda does his job you have a go at him and then we have threads everyday about Garda not stopping cars on road, can they win with some people? according to some of you they are pri*ks if they stop you and then useless if they are not on the very spot you see some stupid driving? grow up people. The Garda are out there doing a job and are doing there best. Getting people off the road like this who have a total lack of respect for the roads and its rules/law is there job and they have done it here and all alot of you can do is have a go, then earlier this week was a thread on here from someone about bad driving and why the Garda where not there to help, I suppose if the driver of the car he was talking about came on here with his sob story we would get the same. All garda are pri*ks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Big Nelly wrote:
    This is gas, a cop does his job, stops a speeding driver, doesn't matter if only a few Kmph over the speed limit does nobody see the ad about the distance you need to stop in case a kid runs out in front of you? that extra 4kph could mean life or death, if it is a 60kmph zone then its built up so yes the cop is in his perfect right to stop you. Also if the OP could see he was doing 64 why didnt he slow down if he knew it was a 60Kph? Did you drive along sitting watching the speedo just to make sure you where just over the limit in case a garda was around? dont think so

It does matter, if the driver honestly was just over by 4km/h then theres a good chance he wasnt over at all. Speedos generally overestimate speed, youd notice if you used a gps. Guards are generally asses about speeding offences, wont show you a read out of the speed, wont show a cert of calibration (i asked for both the time i got stopped for doing 58 in a 50 and was told he didnt need to give me either so what can ya do?)

there needs to be more transparency, i know the guards have a tough job but shooting fish in barrel in a 50 zone and not giving any proof of the offence is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

tbh wrote:
    are you serious? Every country has good cops and bad cops, IME Irish cops are up there with the best of them.

True.

But in the context of USA & UK which I was comparing them to...there is no comparison. The "service" element is nowhere near the top of the cops work ethic here in Ireland :( 9 times out of ten a copper will talk down to you like a piece of shoite when you have done something wrong !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

kippy wrote:
    The poster said he was doing 64Kmph in a 60 Zone. The guard may have said he was doing 70 but the poster has already admitted he was in the wrong.

4km is hardly wrong... it's like 2 mph... nothing.
    kippy wrote:
    He was also driving without an accompanied driver-its possible if the poster hadnt been so adamant that he was "only" doing 64 that the guard would not have looked further into his driving.

Don't worry about this if it went to court I doubt you'd be done.

Chances are you may not get a summonce to court at all, guards like to give out and then forget they ever saw you 5 minutes later. Then again, you could be unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Okay guys, Just a few replies and updates.

To all the guys who came on and said i was speeding. Correct.
    By 4kmh, the only reason was due to the MASSIVE gap of traffic infront of my and the even bigger tailback behind me.
    You got caught so you are now using the old and tired excuse "It wasn't my fault I swear, there were other people around. They made me drive faster"
    You are supposed to be learning to be a driver, part of being a good driver is being aware, and in control i.e. you don't let others control your speed.
    To all the guys who gave out about not having L-Plates. Not Totally Guilty.
    Durning the trip to the garage my magnetic plates dissappeared, it was only an hour or so ago i realised these were in my boot of my car. This is where the garage must have placed them while the car was being test driven overnight and what not. When i picked up the car i was under the assumption they were still on the car, this is due to my own careless-ness for not checking.
    So if you drove off one night with no brake lights it wouldn't matter either, nor would you be guilty, right? Because you didn't check... No biggie? You are LEARNING to drive, the least you could do at this stage is check your car, especially check for your L plates. What if you didn't check if your passengers wasn't wearing a seatbelt, if you crashed and they died. Not your fault right?
    To all the guys about not having a fully licenced driver beside me.
    I've done 17 Driving Lessons, 2 Pretest Courses and have been driving a year now. I'm reckon i'm a little bit passed having mammy babysit me.
    It's not for your to decide, and it's due to this arrogance and overconfidence that road deaths are what they are today.
    I got stoped 8 months ago by a garda at a Checkpoint and when asked where my fully licenced driver was i replied "Dont have one" to which he replied "Okay, Its a stupid law away" and then moved onto something else.
    Of course he did :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Don't mean to be anal, but even if you were going 51kmph, you were still breaking the law. It's not a guideline. It's a limit. Still at it, not over it. You've already said the 4kmph doesn't make a huge difference, so what chance fate, and do it. Whether the guard was unfair or not is irrelevant. Whether the law is unfair or not is irrelevant. Fact is, at the time you knew the law, he knew the law, and it was his job to uphold it. He was right. I completely agree that driving unaccompanied is one of the dumbest laws ever. Hell, I do it myself. I've taken 15 lessons, and done countless hours with an accompanied drive, yet I still have to wait 44 weeks (estimated time) for my test. You cannot expect to become a good driver by hounding people to take you for 2 hours driving every day, nor pay the 35quid an hour every day for driving lessons.

Best of luck with things though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

layke wrote:
    4km is hardly wrong... it's like 2 mph... nothing.

Aye. Especially if you consider that the speed limit went from 40mph (about 65kph) to 60kph(about 37.5mph). It's not like the roads became magically more dangerous after the switchover.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

He then went on a mental on for not having a fully licenced holder sitting beside me and no L-Plates up.
    So you should not have been driving the car in the first place!

The guy nextdoor to me was hit by a car driven by someone who should have had a fully licenced driver with them but didnt. Insurance would not pay up as he was not insured to be out on his own :mad:

There are reasons why you should have a fully licenced driver next to you!

atlantean wrote:
    The guy nextdoor to me was hit by a car driven by someone who should have had a fully licenced driver with them but didnt. Insurance would not pay up as he was not insured to be out on his own :mad:

Wow, I thought they were still under obligation to stay pay out. The "uninsured" bit relates to them being allowed to sue the policy holder to recoup costs after the payout.

Also, most insurance companies do still insure you even if you're driving on your own.

Please READ the topic the OP was doing 4kmh over the limit not 40. The Guard is unfairly doing him for a speed he didn't do.
    In future Undercoverguy ask straight away to see the speed camera, if the guard cannot produce one stick to the 64kmh as they cannot prove otherwise unless he was driving up your arse for a while.

Very mportant if your ever asked what speed your doing do not incrminate yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I'm surprised no one else has said this, he claims to be driving at 64Kph, but what if his speedo is -10%, that would put him driving at 70kph like the cop said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Stark wrote:
    Wow, I thought they were still under obligation to stay pay out. The "uninsured" bit relates to them being allowed to sue the policy holder to recoup costs after the payout.

Also, most insurance companies do still insure you even if you're driving on your own.
    Well I don't know all the details but I do know the guy ended up shelling out himself in the end - I helped him get some bits from a breakers!

I think the other driver was with Quinn direct but I am not sure.

Noelie wrote:
    I'm surprised no one else has said this, he claims to be driving at 64Kph, but what if his speedo is -10%, that would put him driving at 70kph like the cop said!!

speedos overestimate not under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Cyrus wrote:
    speedos underestimate not over

My point exactly!

sorry mispost corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Did he show you the speed gun with the speed on it? Unless they actually show you your speed dont stand up. Know this for a fact because a guard tried to tell one of my friends he was doing 95km in an 80 zone but when he wouldnt show him the camera to prove it, it was thrown out in court in about 20 seconds flat. Probably screwed on the no full driver thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

You can't be done for driving on a provisional - there was a case in Cork recently where the Judge said he couldn't legally convict a boy racer of the same offence - this is now a legal precedent until the law is changed so it's probably just the speeding offence you'll have to face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

chrislad wrote:
    Whether the guard was unfair or not is irrelevant. Whether the law is unfair or not is irrelevant

Wrong wrong wrong :mad:.
    The whole system of law and order DEPENDS on fairness and equality, so those in authority being "unfair" is very bloody relevant.

Chasing an L driver for going 4km over the limit is UNFAIR, when there are thousands of drivers committing much more serious offences that are overlooked out of convenience/garda laziness/whatever.

Changing lanes without indicating is just as serious as floating over the limit, yet I see lunatics doing this every day nearly causing major accidents. Do we call for all such drivers to be charged with poor lane discipline? Nope. Probably cos all the high and mightys on this board are those exact drivers who feel they're above the lowly tradition of indicating.

To the OP, just produce your details at your station, I would be optimistic you may not hear about this again. Happens us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Savman wrote:
    Wrong wrong wrong :mad:.
    The whole system of law and order DEPENDS on fairness and equality, so those in authority being "unfair" is very bloody relevant.

Chasing an L driver for going 4km over the limit is UNFAIR, when there are thousands of drivers committing much more serious offences that are overlooked out of convenience/garda laziness/whatever.

Ah, but the guard couldn't have known he was dealing with an L Driver as there were no plates up.
    So on the face of it, we have a guard who simply stopped a driver for speeding, regardless of the margin. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

....unless of course you consider that most of us would be very p!ssed off for being stopped for exceeding the limit by that amount. And that's according to the speedo, which should be reading higher anyway.

Which leads me to conclude:
    Either the OPs speedo is waaaaay off the mark (up to 20% SLOW), or there was something else that caught the guard's attention ?

eamon234 wrote:
    You can't be done for driving on a provisional - there was a case in Cork recently where the Judge said he couldn't legally convict a boy racer of the same offence - this is now a legal precedent until the law is changed so it's probably just the speeding offence you'll have to face.

You've been reading the Mirror version of the story. There isn't a specific law for "driving unaccompanied" but by doing so, you're invalidating the T&Cs on your licence and so you can be convicted of driving without a licence, for which there is a law.
    It BeeMee wrote:
    Either the OPs speedo is waaaaay off the mark (up to 20% SLOW), or there was something else that caught the guard's attention ?

The baseball cap ;)

• Advertisement

I've only ever heard of one person getting done for driving unaccompanied, years back.

On the point raised about speed limits beging broken and there is no allowence for a few miles an hour over the limit. The cop can do you for it but tbh if he cannot prove you were doing 70km/h it will be thrown out by the judge.

It BeeMee wrote:
    Which leads me to conclude:

Which leads me to ask again, had the copper got a speedgun? if not, challenege it in court my boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

eamon234 wrote:

ROFL lol :rolleyes: Boy racer my @r*e! Know that lad. All he done was antagonised the law so much they wanted to screw him over and then he went away and got a top notch local lawyer and got off! A boy racer in a suped up 1.3 corolla van weighed down to the axels with little extras! Wouldnt get the feckin yoke over 80!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Cyrus wrote:
    speedos overestimate not under

What type of car is the op driving and what size are his wheels? If for example his car had 13" steelies on it beforehand and he put 16-17" wheels on the car without getting the speedo calibrated then im afraid the clock reading 64kph and the actual speed being done 70kph is a very realistic scenario. Bigger radius wheel,larger rolling diameter, takes longer to do a full rotation than a smaller wheel. Hence for every 1 rotation of small wheel you travel 1m but every 1 rotation of bigger wheel you travel 1.3m hence the disrepancy. Id be more inclined to take the garda's speed as the more accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

eamon234 wrote:

He won't he have to face a speeding offence as he was not given a ticket when pulled over. He'll get no points at all. FICTION!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

Mojito wrote:
    He won't he have to face a speeding offence as he was not given a ticket when pulled over. He'll get no points at all. FACT!

you dont get given tickets on the side of the road anymore, they are posted out from a central location. FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Baggy7

I work for an insurance company, there'll be no probs with your insurance because of the license expiring. Happens all the time people forget when they are due to expire or lose them, so dont worry bout that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Undercoverguy, you have the 5-speed/6-speed punto isn't it? The speedo calibration may have been affect when they put the 6-speed box in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

mloc123 wrote:
    Undercoverguy, you have the 5-speed/6-speed punto isn't it? The speedo calibration may have been affect when they put the 6-speed box in...

Thats me, but i had also just picked up the car from the garage and while it was in getting repaired the engine was taken out so you are possibly correct.

As for the people who went on little mad posts of their own i'd like to remind you that i didnt dispute my law breaking actions i simply moaned about them and asked anyone what would happen.

Dont put me under the "Little Boy Racer" umbrella. As a matter of face a friend of mind was buried thismorning after he died in a crash with a bridge on Sunday night so believe me i havnt put a foot out of place since then in regards to "Risky" Driving so dont dare come on here and try to call me a "hooligan" on the road when you dont know me from atom..... fools!

To everyone else who gave me sound advice.... Thank you and i'll keep ya's updated.

And for the record.... The friend that died wasnt thought to be speeding, just a tragic accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

digweed wrote:
    you dont get given tickets on the side of the road anymore, they are posted out from a central location. FACT

I've just found out you're right! Me bad :o

Advertisement