Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am i going to jail?!?!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

layke wrote:
    4km is hardly wrong... it's like 2 mph... nothing.
    More like 2.5 actually
    At that rate 80 Kph would be 40mph not 50mph ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

"Don't know you from Adam" is the phrase, I believe.
    Didn't we establish in another thread that they don't do you for less than 10kmh over the limit because of the speedo variances, etc? One of the tame coppers here said it. Nearly sure. it was in the " Gardai Driving a Tuareg" thread, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

What amuses me about this post is the vast majority of replies assume the OP was completely accurate in his estimation of his speed at the exact time he was clocked. They also assume that his speedo is accurate and that the garda gun is inaccurate or the gard in question was beefing up the charge. In fairness a few people have put forward the argument that his speedo may be wrong but I think most people instantly side against the gardai, which is sad. As mentioned by other people it is likely that the speedo on the car could be wrong (especially considering the work done to it and the fact it is a FIAT ;) ). I just think people should consider both sides before being so certain the gard was wrong. That is typical Irish anti-establishment post-colonialism at its best.

I would imagine another common thing to happen would be cruising on a road seeing a checkpoint, tapping the brakes to slow down a bit then checking the speedo, what a suprise you've lost 10 kph. Not saying this happend in this case but anything possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

64kph on the speedo is more likely to be about 58kph (at least on my car, comparing to GPS). OP - are you sure, in these days of bad speed signage, that you were in a 60kph zone and not a 50kph zone (for those who feel I'm talking out my rear, the main Dublin Road in Galway (for example) had the speed signs hidden behind a bush. Looked for the signs the other night, and couldn't find them at all. I know that we were in a 60kph zone, but according to the last sign motorists would have seen, they would think that they were in a 100kph zone).

As for driving unaccompanied, I did it myself once upon a time, so I can't say much (very much in the "provisionals should be accompanied, even on their 2nd" camp these days, though).

But driving without the L plates I disagree with.

TBH, it sounds like scare tactics on the part of the Garda, which can only be a good thing if it makes you think twice the next time.

Finally, I agree with a few of the earlier posters about the Garda bashing - damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You could check your speedo against one of those side of the road things like on the Long Mile Road, but how accurate are they ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You could check your speedo against one of those side of the road things like on the Long Mile Road, but how accurate are they ?
    They always massively over-read.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement