Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

silverharp wrote: »
    what kind of audience is it pitched at? would a kid with a junior cert level of maths get anything out of it?
    I don't know - but it sounds interesting and if a kid has some basic interest in mathematics, it's something that might inspire him/her to the realization that there's a lot more maths out there, and there's a lot more to it, than what's on the state exams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

robindch wrote: »
    I don't know - but it sounds interesting and if a kid has some basic interest in mathematics, it's something that might inspire him/her to the realization that there's a lot more maths out there, and there's a lot more to it, than what's on the state exams!

Banned.

MrP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is one smart kid!

http://gizmodo.com/teen-discovers-lost-maya-city-using-ancient-star-maps-1775735999?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
    Using an unprecedented technique of matching stars to the locations of temples on Earth, a 15-year-old Canadian student says he’s discovered a forgotten Maya city in Central America. Images from space suggest he may actually be onto something.
    I did not understand why the Maya built their cities away from rivers, on marginal lands, and in the mountains,” explained Gadoury in Le Journal de Montreal. “They must have had another reason, and as they worshiped the stars, the idea came to me to verify my hypothesis. I was really surprised and excited when I realized that the most brilliant stars of the constellations matched the largest Maya cities.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sounds like it could be junk science unfortunately, then again the guy debunking it was a child prodigy about Mayan stuff so maybe he's just jealous:

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-tech/canadian-teen-william-gadourys-discovery-of-mayan-city-debunked-as-junk-science-20160511-gosa26.html

But nah I thought it was a bit suspicious myself, it would have been discovered by now if they were using constellations to plan their cities, it didnt make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well its right beside a lake, Laguna El Civalon, so it shouldn't be all that difficult to fly a helicopter in there and winch down two or three guys, a rubber dinghy and a tent.
    Also there's a second rectangular pattern just south of it.
    Only problem is, if it turns out to be only a field, its more likely to be marijuana growing there than corn. And those kind of farmers don't like strangers dropping in....

Must be about 15 years ago I saw a documentary on the BBC talking about something similar, think it was the Mayans though could've been elsewhere. Anyway, they went on at length about town plans and settlements following the stars and did the whole episode as if it was correct. Then at the end it turned out they were giving massive margins of error and that it was probably rubbish.
    Would've thought since it was studied a lot back then that it would've been known one way or the other. Then again it's the media trying to talk about science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There was a load of stuff about the pyramids being built on that principle too. I don't know that it has ever been taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Ya there was a good documentary film + series that - heard they're making new ones too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Giza pyramids do line up suspiciously well with Orions Belt though, the offsets not just 3 structures in a straight line, good comparison pic in the Wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_correlation_theory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

*shrug* but do the pyramids light up at the winter solstice?

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Yesterday (May 16th) marked the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the Cultural Revolution. The South China Morning Post gives a good overview here. Foreignpolicy.com has an interesting article here about a man whos' uncle was a Red Guard (and is quite unrepentant about it). It gives some small idea of the madness that gripped the country at that time.

robindch wrote: »
    What: “Beauty and Truth in Mathematics and Physics”
    Who: Professor Arthur M. Jaffe
    When: Wednesday 18th May 2016 at 7:00pm,
    Where: Schrodinger Lecture Theatre, Fitzgerald Building (School of Physics), Trinity College

http://www.eventbrite.ie/e/beauty-and-truth-in-mathematics-and-physics-tickets-24625519592

I went to that last night , I wouldn't say it was gripping and a slide presentation worthy of the 1970's. still some interesting insights and anecdotes.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The leader of the Taliban, Mullah Akhtour Mansour, is believed to have been killed in an airstrike by the USA.

My Scientology Movie: Louis Theroux hints at release date of feature-length documentary

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/louis-theroux-hints-at-when-his-debut-documentary-film-my-scientology-movie-release-date-october-a7041021.html
    Despite receiving its debut at last year's London Film Festival, Louis Theroux's hotly anticipated big-screen documentary My Scientology Movie has no official release date attached.

Excitingly, however, it was revealed earlier this month that the film - directed by John Dower - had finally acquired UK distribution following its international premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival in April.

While Altitude Films announced plans to "celebrate Louis’s big screen debut with a number of unmissable events in U.K. cinemas in the lead up to the release later in 2016," there was still no specific word on when the film would drop.

[...]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

From the Grauniad:

People of no religion outnumber Christians in England and Wales – study
    The number of people who say they have no religion is rapidly escalating and significantly outweighs the Christian population in England and Wales, according to new analysis.

The proportion of the population who identify as having no religion – referred to as “nones” – reached 48.5% in 2014, almost double the figure of 25% in the 2011 census. Those who define themselves as Christian – Anglicans, Catholics and other denominations – made up 43.8% of the population.

pauldla wrote: »
    Interesting to see the CoE take on it...
    A spokesperson for the Church of England said: “The increase in those identifying as ‘no faith’ reflects a growing plurality in society rather than any increase in secularism or humanism. We do not have an increasingly secular society as much as a more agnostic one.
    Which is the opposite of what the senior lecturer in theology and ethics at St Mary’s Catholic University had to say..
    The main driver is people who were brought up with some religion now saying they have no religion. What we’re seeing is an acceleration in the numbers of people not only not practising their faith on a regular basis, but not even ticking the box. The reason for that is the big question in the sociology of religion.
    I tend to agree with the lecturer. When somebody actually ticks the "No Religion" box they are making a definite statement which goes further than merely absenting themselves from the church. The CoE idea that society is becoming increasingly "agnostic", but not increasingly secular is not supported by these statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

recedite wrote: »
    Interesting to see the CoE take on it...Which is the opposite of what the senior lecturer in theology and ethics at St Mary’s Catholic University had to say.. I tend to agree with the lecturer. When somebody actually ticks the "No Religion" box they are making a definite statement which goes further than merely absenting themselves from the church. The CoE idea that society is becoming increasingly "agnostic", but not increasingly secular is not supported by these statistics.

Hold on. I am pretty sure david Cameron recently said that Britain was a christian country... Hmmm, I hope someone sent him this research.

MrP

• Advertisement

MrPudding wrote: »
    Hold on. I am pretty sure david Cameron recently said that Britain was a christian country... Hmmm, I hope someone sent him this research.

MrP

Well, Dave says a lot of things....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

MrPudding wrote: »

MrP

It technically is. The Church of England is the official state religion with the Queen at its head. Only 17% of the population are a member so it's a bit like saying Irish is the first language of the country.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

We love to moan about the HSE, but atleast you won't have to re-mortgage your house in Ireland for the same sort of injury

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/4k68ax/my_brother_fell_while_rock_climbing_and_broke_his/d3cjqn0
    "My brother fell while rock climbing and broke his neck, back, and ankle. This is what the bill looks like for two surgeries, a week hospital stay, the neck/back braces, and ankle cast.. "

His Bill!
    http://imgur.com/gallery/Dfl3gqE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

"How you make excuses in order to maintain your beliefs" from the "You're Not So Smart" podcast.

https://youarenotsosmart.com/2016/05/07/yanss-075-special-pleading-and-moving-the-goalposts/
    Without realizing it, you sometimes apply a double standard to the things you love, believe, and consider crucial to your identity.

If you do this while arguing, it is sometimes called special pleading. You search for exemptions and excuses for why a rule or a description or a definition does not apply to something that you hold dear while still applying those standards to everything else.

You also use special pleading to explain away how something extraordinary failed to stand up to scrutiny, or why there is a lack of evidence for a difficult-to-believe claim that you personally think is credible.

One of the tools used by special pleaders is called moving the goalposts. Whenever your opponent eliminates one of your claims, you alter your claim just a smidge so that it remains right outside your opponent’s rhetorical grasp. When they do it again, you move your claim a bit more.

In this episode, listen as three experts in logic and reasoning dive deep into the odd thinking behind the special pleading fallacy and how you move the goalposts to keep from seeming incorrect.

The other episodes on logical fallacies are here:
    https://youarenotsosmart.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Five thirty eight (better known for US election forecasting & US sports stats) has a good data science podcast.

The latest episode (link) is an interview with Justin Schmidt, the entomologist who stings himself with insects, thereby winning himself an Ig Nobel prize last year.

With a bewildering 83 species to choose from, Schmidt is your sommelier of stings, helping you select from least to worst and describing the different kinds of pain that nature has to offer.

388254.png

Saw this in my child's junior infants reader the other day. I'm sure it's totally a coincidink that the strap on the GREEN BAG was so carefully drawn to obscure the R and the N. and they just forgot to draw the unobscured bits of the R and the N. :pac:

388300.jpg

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

so this is amusing, somebody got that annoying let it go song, put it through google translate to a few different languages and then translated it back to English.

Its much better then the Disney version :pac:

darjeeling wrote: »
    With a bewildering 83 species to choose from...
    "Yellow jacket" there is the "american speak" for our common wasp, with a respectable enough 10 minute sting.
    Just as well we don't have any bullet ants :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,919 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cabaal wrote: »
    so this is amusing, somebody got that annoying let it go song, put it through google translate to a few different languages and then translated it back to English.

Its much better then the Disney version :pac:

Since I do not know the words of 'Let it go' - in spite of having two grandchildren who sing it endlessly - I can only partially appreciate that!

In the early 80s Martin Amis wrote a little-known non-fiction book he has since disowned, on the subject of... videogames.

570_AmisTop.jpg

http://www.themillions.com/2012/02/the-arcades-project-martin-amis-guide-to-classic-video-games.html
    Like most Amis fanciers, I had heard of the existence of this video game book –- the full title of which is Invasion of the Space Invaders: An Addict’s Guide to Battle Tactics, Big Scores and the Best Machines –- but knew very little about it. What I did know was that he dashed it off at some point during the time he was writing Money, one of the great British novels of the 1980s, and that it has long been out of print (a copy in good nick will cost you about $150 from Amazon). And I knew, most of all, that Amis was reluctant to talk about it or even acknowledge it. Nicholas Lezard of The Guardian once suggested to him (facetiously, surely) that it was among the best things he’d ever written, and that it was a mistake to have allowed it to go out of print. “The expression on his face,” wrote Lezard, “with perhaps more pity in it than contempt, remains with me uncomfortably.”

570_SKMBT_C35312021512390_00031.jpg
    Aside from the off-the-charts weirdness of its very existence, the book offers a number of peripheral pleasures. For one thing, there’s a half-expected (but still surprising) guest appearance from what I would be willing to bet is a young Christopher Hitchens. In a diverting rant about the increasing presence of voice effects in games, Amis recalls his first exposure to such gimmickry at a bar in Paris on New Year’s Day, 1980:

I was with a friend, a hard-drinking journalist, who had drunk roughly three times as much Calvados as I had drunk the night before. And I had drunk a lot of Calvados the night before. I called for coffee, croissants, juice; with a frown the barman also obeyed my friend’s croaked request for a glass of Calvados.

Then we heard, from nowhere, a deep, guttural, Dalek-like voice which seemed to say: “Heed! Gorgar! Heed! Gorgar … speaks!

“… Now what the hell was that?” asked my friend.

“I think it was one of the machines,” I said, rising in wonder.

“I’ve had it,” said my friend with finality. “I can’t cope with this,” he explained as he stumbled from the bar.

• Advertisement

interesting graphic

StateGDP.jpg

Not a lot of point to the graphic when it takes no account of the population or land area. Small countries have smaller GDP.

Please note both the URL and the actual headline contain a word which is possibly NSFW, but you wouldn't be reading boards on a work PC anyway would you? :p

'Webcam hackers caught me w***ing, demanded $10k ransom'

Hard to imagine the Irish or British public broadcasters being as forthright as the Australian one ;)

Laurie Penney bases an account of Milo Yiannopoulos and his successful efforts to troll at international level "on a true story":

https://medium.com/welcome-to-the-scream-room/im-with-the-banned-8d1b6e0b2932

Whether or not it's accurate, it's certainly well-written. And plausible too.

Interesting read in The Atlantic: "A team of programmers has built a self-generating cosmos, and even they don’t know what’s hiding in its vast reaches."

Inside the Artificial Universe That Creates Itself
    “Because it’s a simulation,” Murray stated. “there’s so much you can do. You can break the speed of light—no problem. Speed is just a number. Gravity and its effects are just numbers. It’s our universe, so we get to be Gods in a sense.”

Even Gods though, have their limitations. The game’s interconnectivity means that every action has a consequence. Minor adjustments to the source code can cause mountains to unexpectedly turn into lakes, species to mutate, or objects to lose the property of collision and plummet to the center of a planet. “Something as simple as altering the color of a creature,” Murray noted, “can cause the water level to rise.”

How Long from Original New Testament Books to Oldest Copies?

Interesting article by Bob Seidensticker on patheos.com.

TL:DR? In some cases, very long gap indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,804 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

pauldla wrote: »
    How Long from Original New Testament Books to Oldest Copies?

Interesting article by Bob Seidensticker on patheos.com.

TL:DR? In some cases, very long gap indeed.
    His argument is essentially that the historical trustworthiness of the NT documents is undermined by the gap between the original composition of the documents, and the earliest surviving copies of each that we have.

But, of course, this isn't an issue just for the historical trustworthiness of the NT documents; it must apply equally to any text that historians of the ancient world treat as a primary source.

What's completely lacking from the article is any reference to what historians of the classical period make of gaps such as these. Are they typical of the gaps that historians have to take account of? Are they strikingly long gaps, by the standards of ancient history? Strikingly short? The author - a hardware designer and software programmer in his day job - simply asserts that there's a reliability problem here, but he makes no claim that those with expertise in the field agree with him, and he tells us nothing about how big a problem historians consider it to be, or how they respond to it.

I note that he tends to phrase his conclusions as questions. Who knows how many errors remain? How much confidence can we have? Etc. They're good questions, but the article would have been a much better one if he had attempted to answer them, or even to survey the answers offered by experts in the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Peregrinus wrote: »
    But, of course, this isn't an issue just for the historical trustworthiness of the NT documents; it must apply equally to any text that historians of the ancient world treat as a primary source.

Hey, nobody's suggesting that Plato's Republic or Marcus Aurelius' Meditations are the literal word of god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Hey, nobody's suggesting that Plato's Republic or Marcus Aurelius' Meditations are the literal word of god.
    If you believe it's the literal word of God then the historical trustworthiness is irrelevant; it only matters to those who don't believe it, because the documents are significant for their historical value.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Have you not read the article? The author doesn't point to the gap to counter the argument that the texts are "the literal word of God"; he points to it to counter the argument that they are historically reliable.

(For those who do believe that the texts are "the literal word of God", the gap presumably isn't a problem at all. If God can inspire the original author to transcribe his "literal word", then he can just as easily inspire a team of authors, editors and copyists to transcribe his "literal word". It's the finished product, the one received by the church as canonical, that's regarded as the "literal word", not the first draft.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

His argument is essentially that the historical trustworthiness of the NT documents is undermined by the gap between the original composition of the documents, and the earliest surviving copies of each that we have.

What's completely lacking from the article is any reference to what historians of the classical period make of gaps such as these. Are they typical of the gaps that historians have to take account of? Are they strikingly long gaps, by the standards of ancient history? Strikingly short? The author - a hardware designer and software programmer in his day job - simply asserts that there's a reliability problem here, but he makes no claim that those with expertise in the field agree with him, and he tells us nothing about how big a problem historians consider it to be, or how they respond to it.

I note that he tends to phrase his conclusions as questions. Who knows how many errors remain? How much confidence can we have? Etc. They're good questions, but the article would have been a much better one if he had attempted to answer them, or even to survey the answers offered by experts in the field.

I think it's important here to not get misled and to separate the actual textual criticism of the New Testament manuscripts from the claims made by some Christians about the historical reliability of the New Testament.

With regard to the actual textual criticsm of the New Testament, Peregrinus is right, there is no mention made by the author of the article about the scholarly position on these variations and gaps, which significantly undermines his argument.
    You see, most of the copying errors that occur between New Testament manuscripts (about 300,000 individual variations in total) are very minor and of a technical nature.
    One type of variation is that of haplography and dittography, the omission or repetition of text where two different sentences begin with (homoeoarcton) or end with (homoeoteleuton) the same string of letters. This is seen in Matthew 5:19-20 where the presence of the same string of letters: ἐν τῇ βασιλείᾳ τῶν οὐρανῶν at the end of the first and last sentence of verse 19 and the last sentence of verse 20 has given rise to a haplographic omission in both the Codex Sinaiticus (where most of verse 19 is deleted) and the Codex Bezae (where everything between the end of the first sentence of verse 19 and the end of verse 20 is deleted).
    Another example of variation is Romans 5:1 where homophonous words in Greek have created manuscript variations. In the verse:

"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ"

the phrase "we have" above is translated as we have in some manuscripts and we might have in others with the split seemingly fairly even between both interpretations. This arises from the similarity between ἔχομεν and ἔχωμεν in Greek.
    Most of the other forms of textual variation are unintentional and very minor and involve spelling errors, word sequence adjustments, corrections to grammar and word substitutions. However, that is not to say that aren't some intentional and in some ways significant alterations to the text.
    One example of an intentional and non-trivial alteration to the text is the retroactive harmonization of the text of Mark 9:31 and 10:34. In Mark 9:31 and 10:34, the foretelling of Jesus' death predicts that he will arise "after three days" or "three days later" (μετὰ τρεῖς ἡμέρας). This stands in contrast to Matthew 17:20 (and Luke) where the verse is rendered "on the third day"(τῇ τρίτῃ ἡμέρᾳ). Later copies of Mark use the wording from Matthew in order to try and gloss over Mark's seeming mistake.
    Another intentional change is found in Luke 23:32. The verse is translated in modern bibles as:

"Two others also, who were criminals, were being led away to be put to death with Him."

The majority of manuscripts agree with this translation, however, the older manuscripts (P75, Sinaiticus etc.) render the verse as:

"And also other criminals, two, were led away to be put to death with Him."

The text was changed in later manuscripts to avoid the implication that Jesus was a criminal.

However, the big takeaway from all this is that the historical reliability of the New Testament works is not to be decided on the basis of the age of the copies we do have. Of the 5,000+ Greek manuscripts in existence, there is only approximately 0.5% difference between all the different copies. This means that it is unlikely that there were wholesale changes to the text between their original composition and the forms we have now. The historical reliability of the New Testament works is much more fundamentally damaged by the internal and external contradictions present in the texts, the factual errors made by the authors, by the fact that none of them are eyewitness accounts or purport to be. None of the gospels are written in the style of historical documents and all are written anonymously. There is evidence of later additions in some works (e.g. Mark 16:9-20) and other whole works are outright forgeries (e.g. 1, 2 Timothy, Titus, 2 Thessalonians, 1, 2 Peter, John). It is for these reasons above and others that we have good reason to doubt the historicity of the New Testament, not because of the publishing gap.
    There is however, one caveat in this conclusion. It's important not to be too all sweeping and generalised about this. The basis of scholarly opinion is that where we have two or more different copies of a text there appears to be very little evidence of difference. So the text of John in P52 is the same as that in Codex Sinaiticus. However, there are some whole texts and many sections of other texts (57 chapters or 22%) which don't exist prior to Codex Sinaiticus. For example, 1 and 2 Timothy and 3 John only occur in Codex Sinaiticus and the only prior copy of Titus is papyrus p32 which is restricted to Titus 1:11-15 and 2:3-8. The rest of the text only appears for the first time in Codex Sinaiticus. Now, we can use textual evidence to give us an indication of the age of a text. For example, the fact that the church in 1 and 2 Timothy is portrayed as being much more established than in other Pauline epistles has lead the majority of scholars to conclude that 1 and 2 Timothy were not written by Paul. However, these kinds of conclusions are more art than science and scholarly opinion is still sharply divided in certain areas such as the authorship of Ephesians and Colossians. It is entirely possible that a letter such as 3 John was written in 105 CE or 305 CE. It's not very likely given the similarity of styles between the Johanine epistles but it's possible. As bible scholar C.H. Dodd notes:
    "If we attempt to ... identify the anonymous author of these epistles with some known individual, we have little but surmise to go on."

The other key point here is that while the minor variation between copies is not relevant to a discussion on the historicity of the New Testament, it has been used by some Christians to buttress their claims. For example, when discussing the gospels on the Christianity forum I noted that the real problem is the gap between the composition of the gospels and the events they ostensibly record. In an attempt to defend the reliability of the gospel accounts hinault posted this:
    hinault wrote: »
    Hold on there.

We possess over 5,000 copies of the gospels dating from the 1st centures, found throughout disparate locations all hand written, which agree with each other in 99% throughout.
    In other words the copy of Mark found in 1st century Rome, is exactly the same as the copy of Mark found in 1st century Syria, is exactly the same as the one found in 1st century Israel, among those 5,000 copies. OK?

And this applies with each of the other copies of the 1st century gospels.
    Matthew, John, Luke, each of the copies of the 5,000+ first century versions replicate each other in 99%.

In other words the copy of John found in 1st century Rome, is exactly the same as the copy of John found in 1st century Syria, is exactly the same as the one found in 1st century Israel, among those 5,000 copies. OK?

In other words the copy of Matthew found in 1st century Rome, is exactly the same as the copy of Matthew found in 1st century Syria, is exactly the same as the one found in 1st century Israel, among those 5,000 copies. OK?

In other words the copy of Luke found in 1st century Rome, is exactly the same as the copy of Luke found in 1st century Syria, is exactly the same as the one found in 1st century Israel, among those 5,000 copies. OK?

Similarly in the "Who do you think Jesus was?" thread, philologos raised the topic of the lack of textual variation to buttress his claim for the authenticity of the bible.
    philologos wrote: »
    A comparison of roughly 40,000 New Testament manuscripts suggests that the New Testament is at least 99.6% authentic, meaning that at most 40 verses are in doubt.

Indeed, there is more reason from the analysis of the Isaiah scrolls at the Qumran findings in 1948 to regard the Old Testament as authentic.

Compare this to any other ancient work, and it is an outstanding measurement. Texts such as Plato and Aristotle are nowhere near this level, indeed there are nowhere near as many manuscripts despite their popularity in the intellectual world.

So yes, laugh all you will, but I would far prefer for you or Des Carter to provide some reasons why one would be led to think that they are inauthentic, or indeed any reason why I should dismiss this evidence for Biblical authenticity.

There are some Christians who blur the lines either intentionally or unintentionally between the composition of the New Testament texts and their subsequent transmission. The integrity of the latter is never going to erase the flaws in the former.

Absolam wrote: »
    If you believe it's the literal word of God then the historical trustworthiness is irrelevant; it only matters to those who don't believe it, because the documents are significant for their historical value.
    Have you not read the article? The author doesn't point to the gap to counter the argument that the texts are "the literal word of God"; he points to it to counter the argument that they are historically reliable.

(For those who do believe that the texts are "the literal word of God", the gap presumably isn't a problem at all. If God can inspire the original author to transcribe his "literal word", then he can just as easily inspire a team of authors, editors and copyists to transcribe his "literal word". It's the finished product, the one received by the church as canonical, that's regarded as the "literal word", not the first draft.)

With all due respect I think you've both missed the point that Pherekydes was making. If you take Plato's republic, the historicity of Plato is merely a secondary consideration since nobody is really invested in the existence of Plato. If Plato never existed or his works were ghost written by some anonymous author, it doesn't really matter because the ideas themselves have value. However, the existence of Jesus is a foundation of the gospel stories. If he didn't exist, then the stories are meaningless. As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:14

"and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain"

There is a larger burden of proof for the historicity of the New Testament than there is for other ancient works because of the nature of the text itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    With all due respect I think you've both missed the point that Pherekydes was making. If you take Plato's republic, the historicity of Plato is merely a secondary consideration since nobody is really invested in the existence of Plato. If Plato never existed or his works were ghost written by some anonymous author, it doesn't really matter because the ideas themselves have value. However, the existence of Jesus is a foundation of the gospel stories. If he didn't exist, then the stories are meaningless. As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:14 "and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain"There is a larger burden of proof for the historicity of the New Testament than their is for other ancient works because of the nature of the text itself.
    In fairness Pherekydes said "Hey, nobody's suggesting that Plato's Republic or Marcus Aurelius' Meditations are the literal word of god.". But historians aren't debating the historicity of God any more than they're debating the historicity of Plato when they consider the texts, nor are they considering the values of the ideas expressed in the texts; they're considering what can be learned about the times the texts were written in and about from the texts.

It's certainly worthwhile to consider the gaps between when NT texts were written and when they are about in considering their historicity, and comparing those gaps to similar texts from and about that era provides a context for that, is what I take from Peregrinus' posts, and that seems quite a sensible approach to me. That those gaps might be considered a good argument against the texts being the literal word of God seems specious though; they make no difference at all to whether or not the texts could be the literal word of God.

oldrnwisr wrote: »
    With all due respect I think you've both missed the point that Pherekydes was making. If you take Plato's republic, the historicity of Plato is merely a secondary consideration since nobody is really invested in the existence of Plato. If Plato never existed or his works were ghost written by some anonymous author, it doesn't really matter because the ideas themselves have value. However, the existence of Jesus is a foundation of the gospel stories. If he didn't exist, then the stories are meaningless. As Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:14

"and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain"

There is a larger burden of proof for the historicity of the New Testament than their is for other ancient works because of the nature of the text itself.
    It’s a fair point. Given how foundational the historicity of the NT texts is for Christianity, and given how influential Christianity has been and continues to be on our world, the historicity of the NT texts is a matter of much greater moment than the historicity of, e.g., Plato.

But I stand by my claim - and I think you agree with it - that the points made in the article to which Pauldla linked don’t actually amount to a serious assault on the historicity of the texts.

And I also think we have to distinguish between the questions of (a) how significant the historicity of the text is, and (b) how we assess the historicity of the text. To use a courtroom analogy, whether you’re convicted of murder is much more important than whether you’re convicted of urinating in a public place, but we apply the same rules of evidence, the same burden of proof, the same forensic techniques, etc, to answer both questions.

So, we may consider the historicity of the NT texts to be particularly important, but that doesn’t mean we go about answering the question in a different way from the way we would answer the same questions about other texts from the same period. So, in so far as somebody does attempt an attack on the historicity of the texts on historiographical grounds, the standards applied by academic historians are important.

The points you raise - the anonymity of the sources, the internal contradictions, etc - seem to me much more pertinent than the gap between the date of composition and the date of the earliest surviving copies. But I’d still offer the same comment; how do historians of the period address such issues when faced with non-scriptural texts? These issues don’t have greater probative (or disprobative) value merely because we invest a particular significance in the text under consideration.

Finally, I’d make one other comment about the article that Pauldla linked to. The author lays some stress on the point that the texts advance supernatural claims. (As indeed they do: “And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom; and the earth shook, and the rocks were split; the tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.”) But the problem with accepting claims of this kind is not lack of robust primary evidence; it’s that they’re, well, supernatural. If the event was claimed to have happened yesterday, and was evidenced by a first-person account in the New York Times, you still wouldn’t accept it as historically established, would you? The barrier is not lack of historical evidence; it’s our own rooted convictions about what is and is not possible. So, in so far as the author is seeking to challenge scriptural claims about supernatural events, I really don’t think a historiographical attack is all that pertinent. Those who accept such events as real do not do so in reliance on the historical evidence.

Absolam wrote: »
    It's certainly worthwhile to consider the gaps between when NT texts were written and when they are about in considering their historicity, and comparing those gaps to similar texts from and about that era provides a context for that, is what I take from Peregrinus' posts, and that seems quite a sensible approach to me. That those gaps might be considered a good argument against the texts being the literal word of God seems specious though; they make no difference at all to whether or not the texts could be the literal word of God.

Not really, no.

As I've posted above the publishing gap adds very little to a debate on the historicity of the NT since it arrives so late into the discussion, as it were.

The bigger problem which apologists must face in defending the historicity of the gospels is the composition gap, i.e. the length of time between the composition of the gospels and the events they purport to depict.

It's also important to remember that the gospels don't really present as historical texts, for a number of reasons:
    1. The gospels make little or no attempt to identify the sources they draw upon in writing their stories. (e.g. Luke mentions that he draws on sources but does not name them)
    2. The later gospel authors make no attempt to resolve contradictions with earlier works (e.g. Luke makes no attempt to reconcile his nativity narrative with Matthew's)
    3. The author does not place himself in the story.
    4. The gospels are written for the common man rather than the social and literary elite audience of Greek and Roman histories/biographies.
    5. The gospels contain far too many hagiographical elements to be historically reliable.
    6. There is no attempt to warn the reader that certain events or words may not be recorded clearly. None of the gospel authors make any attempt to identify where they speculate on content.
    7. The interdependence of the gospels makes them unlike the historical writings of the time.
    8. Unusual events disappear from the wider narrative. The aftermath of the graves opening in Matthew is not discussed in any other text.

Additionally, the internal evidence from the gospels themselves compromise their historical reliability in a way that makes discussion of the publishing gap irrelevant. For example, in Matthew's gospel places the birth of Jesus during the reign of Herod the Great (2:1), while Luke's account places the birth during the governorship of Quirinius. Since Herod died in 4 BCE and Quirinius was not appointed governor until 6 CE, both cannot be true and the historical reliability of both accounts is therefore questionable. Whether or not the oldest manuscript of Matthew is 150 CE or 350 CE is going to do very little to assuage this contradiction.

The points you raise - the anonymity of the sources, the internal contradictions, etc - seem to me much more pertinent than the gap between the date of composition and the date of the earliest surviving copies. But I’d still offer the same comment; how do historians of the period address such issues when faced with non-scriptural texts? These issues don’t have greater probative (or disprobative) value merely because we invest a particular significance in the text under consideration.

Thank you for your response Peregrinus and I agree with your points. I would like to address the point you make above, however.

In terms of dealing with issues like internal contradictions and their impact on historicity, biblical scholars tend to compare how the authors deal with or resolve the contradictions when compared to acual historical or biographical works of the era. Take the contradiction above regarding the date of Jesus' birth. The later author (Luke) makes no attempt to address or resolve the contradiction and John makes no mention of a nativity at all. When we contrast this with a biographical work of the time "The Life of Caligula" by Suetonius, we see the difference in approach:

"Gaius Caesar, surnamed Caligula, was born the day before the Kalends of September [August 31st], during the consulship of his father Germanicus and Gaius Fonteius Capito [12 CE]. Contradicting sources have made the place of his birth uncertain. Gnaeus Lentulus Gaetulicus writes that he was born at Tibur, whereas Pliny [the Elder] says that he was born among the Treveri, in a village named Ambitarvium, above the confluence of the Rhine and the Moselle. Pliny further adds as evidence alters located there, bearing the inscription: ‘For the delivery of Agrippina.’ Verses that were in circulation shortly after he became emperor state that he was born in the winter-quarters of the legions: ‘Born in camp and weaned amidst the arms of his country, he was already a sign of future imperium.’ I myself have found it published in the acta diurna that he was born at Antium. Pliny has discredited Gaetulicus, on the grounds that he falsified his account through flattery, so that he could exalt the praises of a young and vainglorious prince who was even from a city sacred to Hercules; and that he made this lie with greater confidence, since there had actually been a son born to Germanicus at Tiber, nearly a year earlier, who was also named Gaius Caesar (concerning whose lovable innocence and premature death I have already spoken about above). Accurate chronology disproves Pliny. For the historians who committed the reign of Augustus to memory agree that Germanicus was not sent to the region of Gaul and Germany until the close of his consulship, when Caligula was already born. Nor does the inscription on the alter in any way confirm the judgement of Pliny, since Agrippina twice gave birth in that region, and any childbirth, regardless of sex, is called ‘puerperium.’ Indeed, from ancient times people called girls ‘puerae,’ just as they called boys ‘puelli.’ There is also a letter of Augustus that survives, addressed to his granddaughter Agrippina just a few months before he died, which is written about the Gaius in question (since there was not any child of that name who was still alive by that time), in which he states: ‘I arranged yesterday for Telarius and Asillius to bring your boy Gaius, should the gods be willing, on the fifteenth day before the Kalends of June [May 18th]. I am sending with him a physician from my staff of slaves, and I wrote to Germanicus that he can keep him, if he wishes. Farewell, my dear Agrippina, and take care that you come to your Germanicus in good health.’ I think that it is abundantly clear that Caligula could not have been born in a place, to which he was first taken from Rome when he was almost two years old. This letter also diminishes the evidence of the verses, which in any case are anonymous. The sole source that remains, therefore, is the public record stating that he was born at Antium, which we must accept as the only remaining testimony. Furthermore, Caligula always loved Antium above all other places and preferred it as none other than his own native soil, and he is even said to have considered transferring the seat and capital of the empire to Antium, when he had grown weary of Rome."

Here Suetonius not only acknowledges that there are contradictory accounts of Caligula's birthplace but he goes on to give a detailed analysis of the contradictions and resolve them using external evidence. None of this is present in the gospels which undermines their historical reliability as much as the contradiction itself.

Furthermore, when we look at the gospels we see a lot of direct speech, oration by Jesus which is ostensibly recorded verbatim. The frequent use of dialogue in the gospels stands in marked contrast to other historical works of the era and reads more like a novel than an eyewitness report. This is particularly problematic in light of the composition gap. In actual historical texts of the era, the authors are careful to point out the limitations of memory. For example in Thucydides "History of the Peleponnesian War", the author notes:

"Now, as much as particular persons gave speeches, either entering the war, or when it was already taking place, it has been difficult for me to remember precisely the exact words that were spoken, either from those that I heard myself, or from those that I was informed of by others. And so, my practice has been to make each speaker say what I regard as the most suitable words that the occasion demanded, while adhering as close as possible to the general sense of what was actually spoken. As for the events of the war, I did not think it fitting to write what I learned from the first source at hand, nor what I speculated to be true, but only those things for which I myself was present, or for which I had inquired each detail to the best of my ability from others. And even these matters have been difficult to learn, on account of the fact that those present did not always say the same thing about the events they witnessed, either because they had imperfect memory, or because they were partial to one side or the other."

The fact that the gospel authors make no attempt to warn the reader where they speculate on dialogue compromises their historical reliability.

Finally, the anonymity of the authors is also a problem for the historical reliability of the gospel accounts. When we look at other historical accounts of the era we see that the author invariably places himself in the narrative and explains the relationships between him and the people he documents, whether or not he knew them well. For example, in "Histories", Tacitus concisely deals with the relationships between himself and those he documents:

"I myself was not acquainted with Galba, Otho, or Vitellius, either by profit or injury. I would not deny that my rank was first elevated by Vespasian, then raised by Titus, and still further increased by Domitian; but to those who profess unaltered truth, it is requisite to speak neither with partisanship nor prejudice."

So, to answer your question Peregrinus, biblical scholars examine questions like anonymity and internal contradictions using comparison to actual historical works of the era. However, as we've discussed before and early Church leaders such as Origen pointed out, the gospels were promoted not so much for their historical reliability but for their theological impact.

• Advertisement

Well, couple of points.

First, just for clarification: with regard to, e.g., the conflict over the date of Jesus’ birth, you offer this as an instance of an “internal contradiction”. Is that strictly correct? Matthew suggests one date; Luke suggests an inconsistent date, but surely that’s an external contradiction, a conflict between two different texts by two different authors?

On the main point, Suetonius acknowledges different accounts and attempts to resolve them. Whichever of Luke and Matthew is writing later makes no mention of the earlier nativity account. This could be either (a) because he doesn’t know of it, or (b) he does know of it, but he’s not bothered by the contradiction and doesn’t expect his readers to be bothered by it.

If we assume (a), obviously the historicity of each of the nativity accounts is undermined by the existence of an independent, and completely different, account. But the historicity of other material which is common to the two texts is not compromised. If anything, surely, it’s enhanced? If we take the later writer to have known nothing of the earlier text, obviously he can’t be copying the earlier text, so he represents an independent source for the material that they have in common. Or, both are drawing common material from an earlier source (which could be Mark or Q) which is not compromised by the inclusion of a problematic nativity narrative.

If we assume (b) then, again, the historicity of both nativity accounts is undermined. But we can’t say that the historical reliability of the later text as a whole is undermined; all we can say is that the author wasn’t seeking to write history in the way that Suetonius wrote it. Suetonius felt the need to reconcile known contradictions; the gospel writer did not feel a similar need, at least with respect to the nativity story, and he obviously didn’t think that this would impeach his credibility for his readers. He’s writing in a different genre, in other words, with differing conventions and differing expectation from his readers. That doesn’t necessarily mean that his reliability as a historical source is compromised; just that we have to read him mindful of the conventions of the genre.

With regard to anonymity, the term may be a bit misleading. None of the four gospel writers name themselves, but does Suetonius? Or is it external evidence that persuades us that this text was, in fact, written by a bloke named Suetonius? And even if Suetonius does name himself, so what? The author’s name, as such, isn’t of great importance and, unless the author is a known associate of his subject or eyewitness of his events, it’s no indicator of historical reliability. As you point out Tacitus is explicit in saying that he didn’t know at least some of his subjects. We admire his candour, but how does this reassure us of the historical reliability of what he narrates about his subjects? If anything, the opposite, surely?

I’m not so much interested in the names of the writers, as their sources and purpose in writing; these will tell me far more about reliability, surely? Some of the sources we know or can conjecture. (Matthew and Luke are both relying on Mark and probably Q; each is also relying on other, not-shared, sources.) Sometimes the authors tell us a little about their purpose in writing. Luke, for example, starts off by telling his reader(s) that there are already a number of accounts in circulation, baseed on eyewitness testimony, and that his purpose is to compile them into a single narrative, to make their significance easier to understand. In other words, he’s not seeking to tell people facts they don’t already know; he’s compiling what they do know and presenting it in a way that underscores its significance. Which tells me that there was (or Luke believed that there was) already an audience out there who accepted the factuality of the material he is dealing with. Knowing that is much more useful as a critical tool, surely, than knowing Luke’s name?

With regard to the narration of direct speech, yes, obviously we have to ask how journalistically accurate this can be. On the other hand, we have to bear in mind that Jesus is presented as an itinerant teacher who taught by preaching; that it’s reasonable to suppose that he delivered the same teachings many times over (and indeed there’s evidence in the texts that he did) and that his close followers would have heard them frequently over a period of possibly years; that his followers had an interest in recalling and preserving his teachings; that many “sayings gospels” which consist solely of teachings attributed to Jesus are known to exist or to have existed, and that the competing canonical gospels are far more likely to agree on speech attributed to Jesus than they are on any other point. So I suggest that Thycidides’ comments about recalling speech in the context in which he was writing are not entirely apposite in this context. The gospel writers could be capturing speech, if not perfectly reliably, certainly more reliably that Thucydides claimed to.

First, just for clarification: with regard to, e.g., the conflict over the date of Jesus’ birth, you offer this as an instance of an “internal contradiction”. Is that strictly correct? Matthew suggests one date; Luke suggests an inconsistent date, but surely that’s an external contradiction, a conflict between two different texts by two different authors?

Yes, you're absolutely right. I should have said external contradiction. Apologies.
    On the main point, Suetonius acknowledges different accounts and attempts to resolve them. Whichever of Luke and Matthew is writing later makes no mention of the earlier nativity account. This could be either (a) because he doesn’t know of it, or (b) he does know of it, but he’s not bothered by the contradiction and doesn’t expect his readers to be bothered by it.

If we assume (a), obviously the historicity of each of the nativity accounts is undermined by the existence of an independent, and completely different, account. But the historicity of other material which is common to the two texts is not compromised. If anything, surely, it’s enhanced? If we take the later writer to have known nothing of the earlier text, obviously he can’t be copying the earlier text, so he represents an independent source for the material that they have in common. Or, both are drawing common material from an earlier source (which could be Mark or Q) which is not compromised by the inclusion of a problematic nativity narrative.

If we assume (b) then, again, the historicity of both nativity accounts is undermined. But we can’t say that the historical reliability of the later text as a whole is undermined; all we can say is that the author wasn’t seeking to write history in the way that Suetonius wrote it. Suetonius felt the need to reconcile known contradictions; the gospel writer did not feel a similar need, at least with respect to the nativity story, and he obviously didn’t think that this would impeach his credibility for his readers. He’s writing in a different genre, in other words, with differing conventions and differing expectation from his readers. That doesn’t necessarily mean that his reliability as a historical source is compromised; just that we have to read him mindful of the conventions of the genre.

Firstly, I would say that I think your dilemma between (a) and (b) above is incomplete. I think that the far more likely option is that Luke is aware of Matthew's gospel and rather than deal with the contradiction he simply corrects (from his perspective) Matthew's mistake. There is some precedent for this in the gospels. In chapter 5 of Mark, Jesus casts out a legion of demons from a possessed man which then enter a herd of pigs who run down the hill and are drowned. However, Mark, due to his ignorance of Palestinian geography places this event in the land of the Gerasenes about 30km from the Sea of Galilee, undermining the historicity of the story. Matthew, realising Mark's mistake makes a subtle but important change. He changes the location from the land of the Gerasenes to the land of the Gadarenes, about 5km from the Sea of Galilee. It doesn't completely solve the problem but it lessens Mark's mistake. However, in both instances the later writer simply overwrites the earlier writer's mistake rather than further draw attention to it. Whether this is done out of a desire to preserve the sanctity of the earlier work or because historical details are less important to the writer than the theological message, I'm not entirely sure.
    Also, with regard to the infancy narrative and the relationship between Luke and Matthew, the two source hypothesis that Luke and Matthew derived their gospels from Mark and an unnamed Q source is at odds with this contradiction. Firstly, Q is a sayings gospel and as such an infancy narrative is not something which would have been documented in Q. Secondly, if the two authors are drawing their material from a common source, there shouldn't be a contradiction in the first place.

Secondly, I would say that the idea that Luke is unfamiliar with Matthew is very unlikely IMHO. There are some clear examples of passages where Luke borrows from Matthew.

One such example of Luke copying from Matthew is the parable of the Ten talents in Matthew 25 and Luke 19.
    Matthew's account is more coherent and easier to read while Luke's contains some anachronistic passages which are hard to understand until you read the two of them side by side.

The problem originates from Luke changing the story from three servants in Matthew's version to ten. As a result, we see some very odd passages.

In Matthew's version there are three servants who are given five, two and one bag of gold respectively. They then earn five more, two more and none respectively. However in Luke's version, although there are ten servants we are only told about three (the first, the second and the other). Furthermore, the best servant in Matthew's version has turned his five bags of gold into ten, which prompts the line:

"So take the bag of gold from him and give it to the one who has ten bags."

However, in Luke's version all ten servants are each only given one minas. So when the best servant reports:

"Sir your mina has earned ten more"

this servant now has eleven minas. However the king goes on to admonish the wicked servant by saying:

"Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas"

So Luke directly copies the line from Matthew and fails to allow for the fact that the best servant actually has eleven minas, thus revealing his copying mistake.
    Luke's version is incoherent and disjointed until you read it as a poor copy of Matthew's version.

Editorial fatigue is a moderately recurring theme in Luke and is best shown in the feeding of the Five Thousand. In this story Mark places the setting for the story in a desert place, making the lack of food make sense. However, Luke opens his version by placing the setting in Bethsaida. This causes two problems. Firstly, in a city like Bethsaida food and drink should be close at hand and a miracle would not be necessary. Secondly, later on in the story Luke forgets himself and agrees with Mark saying: "because we are in a remote place here."
    Luke makes this exact same mistake in copying Matthew with the story of the Centurion in Matthew 8. In Matthew's version he refers to the centurion's servant as pais consistently throughout the story. However Luke opens his story by referring to the servant as doulos before forgetting and switching to pais in Luke 7:7 and then switch back again in Luke 7:10.

So, in conclusion I think we can dispense with the (a) option of your dilemma, which just leaves the (b) option. I agree with you that the unreliability of the infancy narrative alone doesn't undermine the historical reliability of the whole text. However, repeated examples of similar contradictions does. There are a multitude of examples from the different gospels where the historical reliability is compromised by external contradictions, factual mistakes, syncretic borrowings etc.
    With regard to anonymity, the term may be a bit misleading. None of the four gospel writers name themselves, but does Suetonius? Or is it external evidence that persuades us that this text was, in fact, written by a bloke named Suetonius? And even if Suetonius does name himself, so what? The author’s name, as such, isn’t of great importance and, unless the author is a known associate of his subject or eyewitness of his events, it’s no indicator of historical reliability. As you point out Tacitus is explicit in saying that he didn’t know at least some of his subjects. We admire his candour, but how does this reassure us of the historical reliability of what he narrates about his subjects? If anything, the opposite, surely?

Firstly, Suetonius does identify himself in the text. He makes numerous autobiographical references to himself. In The Life of Caligula he references his earlier writings:

"I myself find in the gazette that he first saw the light at Antium."

and in The Life of Otho he makes reference to his father (in such a way that a reader could verify his claims):

"My father Suetonius Laetus took part in that war, as a tribune of the equestrian order in the Thirteenth legion. He used often to declare afterwards that Otho, even when he was a private citizen, so loathed civil strife, that at the mere mention of the fate of Brutus and Cassius at a banquet he shuddered; that he would not have engaged with Galba, if he had not felt confident that the affair could be settled peacefully; further, that he was led to hold his life cheap at that time by the example of a common soldier. This man on bringing news of the defeat of the army was believed by no one, but was charged by the soldiers now with falsehood and now with cowardice, and accused of running away; whereupon he fell on his sword at the emperor's feet. My father used to say that at this sight Otho cried out that he would no longer endanger the lives of such brave men, who had deserved so well."

However, Suetonius in writing biographies rather than an even more rigorous historical account doesn't make the kind of explicit identification typical of the genre. For example, in The Roman Antiquities, Dionysius of Halicarnassus opens his work by explaining his motivation for undertaking his work, he cites previous authors in the field and their contribution and finally he makes this statement:

"Such things, therefore, will be the subjects of my history and such will be its form. I, the author, am Dionysius of Halicarnassus, the son of Alexander. And at this point I begin."

Dionysius' work reads like a modern scientific paper (although more long-winded) compared to Suetonius' textbook approach. However neither of these works, nor other historical works of the time read like the gospels. This is, of course, consistent with the academic position. Although we are merely scratching the surface of this topic here, the structure of the gospels and the import of this for their historical reliability has been well studied:

Ancient Fiction and Early Christian Narrative (Ronald Hock)
    Ancient Fiction: The Matrix of Early Christian and Jewish Narrative (Jo-Ann Brant)
    The Ancient Novel and Early Christian and Jewish Narrative: Fictional Intersections (Marilia Pinheiro)
    Profit With Delight: The Literary Genre of the Acts of the Apostles (Richard Pervo)
    The Problem of Markan Genre: The Gospel of Mark and the Jewish Novel (Michael Vines)
    What Are the Gospels?: A Comparison with Graeco-Roman Biography (Richard Burridge)
    The Homeric Epics and the gospel of Mark (Dennis MacDonald)

I think the best way to sum up the difference between the gospels and historically reliable accounts is this:

cryptonomicon.jpg

In Cryptonomicon, Neal Stephenson constructs a complex and in-depth narrative ranging from the codebreakers of WWII to the SE Asia tech boom of the 90s. It contains fictional characters such as Lawrence Waterhouse and real historical figures such as Alan Turing. There are parts of the book which are historically accurate. However, nobody in their right mind would suggest that we should treat Cryptonomicon as a source for answering historical questions because the book isn't intended to be a historical account, it is a novel. Similarly the gospels shouldn't be relied upon for historical information because that's not what they are. They are biographical novels, adding a backstory for Jesus to try and promote the newly formed Christian religion.
    I’m not so much interested in the names of the writers, as their sources and purpose in writing; these will tell me far more about reliability, surely? Some of the sources we know or can conjecture. (Matthew and Luke are both relying on Mark and probably Q; each is also relying on other, not-shared, sources.) Sometimes the authors tell us a little about their purpose in writing. Luke, for example, starts off by telling his reader(s) that there are already a number of accounts in circulation, baseed on eyewitness testimony, and that his purpose is to compile them into a single narrative, to make their significance easier to understand. In other words, he’s not seeking to tell people facts they don’t already know; he’s compiling what they do know and presenting it in a way that underscores its significance. Which tells me that there was (or Luke believed that there was) already an audience out there who accepted the factuality of the material he is dealing with. Knowing that is much more useful as a critical tool, surely, than knowing Luke’s name?

Sorry, Peregrinus but I have to disagree here. The "sources" documented by Luke are so vague that they are completely useless. Luke claims that there are multiple sources for his work:

"Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word."

This is just a claim, just like the claim by Paul that there were 500 witnesses to the resurrected Jesus. And without identifying the sources, Luke's claim is just as useless to a historian as Paul's. It is hearsay, something that in today's system of jurisprudence we have learned to disregard completely. Compare and contrast Luke's vague declaration above with an actual historian's discussion of his sources below (Roman Antiquities by Dionysius):

Thus, having given an explanation for my choice of subject matter, I wish now to discuss the sources that I used when setting out to write my history. For perhaps readers who are already familiar with Hieronymus, Timaeus, Polybius, or any other historian that I mentioned a short while ago as being careless in their works, when they do not find many things in my own writings that are mentioned in theirs, will suspect me of fabricating them, and will want to know where I learned of such things. Lest anyone should hold such an opinion of me, it seems better that I should state in advance what narratives and records I have used as sources. I sailed to Italy at the very time when Augustus Caesar put an end to civil war, in the middle of the one hundred and eighty-seventh Olympiad [30 BCE], and having spent twenty-two years in Rome from that time to the present, I learned the Latin language and familiarized myself with Roman literature, and during all this time I remained devoted to matters bearing upon my subject. Some of my information I learned orally from the most educated men whose company I shared, while the rest I gathered from the histories that were written by esteemed Roman authors–such as Porcius Cato, Fabius Maximus, Valerius Antias, Licinius Macer, the Aelii, Gellii and Calpurnii–as well as other men who are noteworthy. Setting out with these works, which are similar to the Greek annalistic accounts, as my sources, I then put my hands to writing my history.

Dionysius is transparent and names his citations just as any modern peer-reviewed paper would. Luke doesn't and so his claim that there are sources is useless.

Secondly, you refer to Mark and Q as sources for Luke. However, this just pushes the question back a step. Mark is also anonymous and from the evidence of his gospel is someone who is clearly not an eyewitness and is unfamiliar with the customs, geography and laws of the region he is writing about. So what about Mark's sources? Q is even weaker since there is no extant copy of Q. It is just assumed that there must be a Q because both Matthew and Luke copy from it. However, the existence of Q is no measure of its reliability.

Finally, as you say, Luke is not writing for non-Christians. He is writing for an educated Greek-speaking Christian audience. His intention is to explain the meaning of events that have occurred rather than convince his audience that these events have occurred. However, this means that historical accuracy is not a primary motivation for Luke.
    With regard to the narration of direct speech, yes, obviously we have to ask how journalistically accurate this can be. On the other hand, we have to bear in mind that Jesus is presented as an itinerant teacher who taught by preaching; that it’s reasonable to suppose that he delivered the same teachings many times over (and indeed there’s evidence in the texts that he did) and that his close followers would have heard them frequently over a period of possibly years; that his followers had an interest in recalling and preserving his teachings; that many “sayings gospels” which consist solely of teachings attributed to Jesus are known to exist or to have existed, and that the competing canonical gospels are far more likely to agree on speech attributed to Jesus than they are on any other point. So I suggest that Thycidides’ comments about recalling speech in the context in which he was writing are not entirely apposite in this context. The gospel writers could be capturing speech, if not perfectly reliably, certainly more reliably that Thucydides claimed to.

OK, there are two points here.

The first but less important point is that Christians are not likely to have been any better at remembering speeches forty years later than non-Christians were. It's very likely, even taking into account the repetition of the speeches, that the sermons recorded in the gospels are synopses of the original speeches, editorialised recollections. They will have gotten the message right and the basic structure right but they're not likely to be 100% accurate word for word.

However, the important point here is not about the faultiness in recording direct speech but the level of direct speech which is presented in the gospels. Both Acts and the Gospels have use direct speech at a much higher frequency than historical works of the era and much more in line with fictional novels of the time. Acts reports the highest usage with 51% of the overall text being made up of direct speech. The gospels have a slightly lower but similar proportion. This aligns well with Jewish novels of the day (Judith 50%, Susanna 46%) but stands in marked contrast to historical accounts and biographies: (Josephus’ Jewish War I: 8.8%, Plutarch’s Alexander: 12.1%; Tacitus’ Agricola: 11.5%).

Direct Speech in Acts and the Question of Genre

Mark's gospel which forms the backbone of the synoptics is written as a novel. It is told from the perspective of a 3rd person omniscient narrator and borrows heavily from the Old Testament, Egyptian myth and Homeric epics to construct a "hidden hero" style backstory for Jesus. It may contain historical characters and events but anyone looking to use Mark as a historically reliable document is barking up the wrong tree.

The gospels are backstories for Jesus, something used to put a bit of meat on the bones of the primordial Christian religion. They are not intended to be used as historically reliable accounts. Unfortunately for Christians, despite the claims of Matthew 4:24 and Mark 7:36, the fame of Jesus doesn't seem to have spread far or wide enough for any non biblical historians to have made anything more than passing references to him. So, as unreliable as the gospels may be, they're the best Christians have got.

Incidentally, lays and gemminem, I'm considering getting another batch of 'I'm with oldrnwisr' T-shirts made up. Order yours today, stocks never last long.

(All proceeds going to the Pauldla Benevolence Fund for Pauldla)

Wavy Greenland rock features 'are oldest fossils'
    Some of the world’s earliest life forms may have been captured in squiggles found in ancient rocks from Greenland.

The rocks were part of the seafloor 3.7 billion years ago, and the wavy lines, just a few centimetres across, would be remnants of primordial microbial colonies called stromatolites.

The evidence is presented in the academic journal Nature.

If confirmed, the colonies would predate the previously oldest known fossils by over 200 million years.

To put that in context, travelling back a similar time from today would be to leap into the world of the first dinosaurs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37235447

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

For some reason I have an urge to watch Clash of the Titans?? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement