Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Tech Billionaires Plan Audacious Mission to Mine Asteroids
    A group of wealthy, adventurous entrepreneurs will announce on Apr. 24 a new venture called Planetary Resources, Inc., which plans to send swarms of robots to space to scout asteroids for precious metals and set up mines to bring resources back to Earth, in the process adding trillions of dollars to the global GDP, helping ensure humanity’s prosperity and paving the way for the human settlement of space.
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/04/planetary-resources-asteroid-mining/

I wonder what Neil DeGrasse Tyson thinks of this. NASA's funding dropped but here we see private wealthy individuals getting involved in venturing into space. They get their precious metals, and we get the spin off products. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Jernal wrote: »

I can imagine you are a fan of Japanese game shows then ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

RADIO PRESENTER RAY D’Arcy has refused to offer an apology or retraction to the “hierarchy of the Catholic Church” for telling listeners of his TodayFM show last week that the “Catholic Church, in many ways, has ****ed up this country”.
    There's a facebook support page open at:

http://www.facebook.com/SupportRayDArcy

Currently at 2500 likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Tech Billionaires Plan Audacious Mission to Mine Asteroids

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/04/planetary-resources-asteroid-mining/

I wonder what Neil DeGrasse Tyson thinks of this. NASA's funding dropped but here we see private wealthy individuals getting involved in venturing into space. They get their precious metals, and we get the spin off products. Hopefully.

I'm quite excited by this. I really hope it gets off the ground (literally and figuratively.)

The future...
    Today!

On the Ray D'Arcy scandal, I say fair f*cks to Ray. I may not like him much as a presenter but it's a big moment that this has finally been said on air. Email of support sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Calibos

...until someone explains to them that the collapse in commodity prices and the effect on the world economy will wipe out any money they make on the asteroid mining....

The Spanish dominance in the 15th century ended not long after all those precious metals started arriving back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I think they're looking for rare metals that, because of cost, prohibit their widespread use. They're not going up there looking for some copper wiring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

fitz0 wrote: »
    They're not going up there looking for some copper wiring.
    Though it would very cool if that's what they found. :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Sydney scientist helps design tiny super computer
    It is only a tiny device - a flat, pancake-like layer of 300 atoms hovering in space.

Yet it has the potential to provide insights into how materials behave at the quantum level that none of today's conventional computers would be capable of calculating.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Space-Shuttle-launch-clouds.jpg
    STS134VAB_cooper.jpg
    Isn't she a beauty?

funny-gif-X-Ray-person-eating.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

eastern-north-atlantic-iss-1600.jpg?1335289426

Cause everyone needs a new wallpaper :)

Go here for size choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

koth wrote: »

I suspect this device will be involved in the arrival of the tech singularity they were talking about in post #2231. (Expected some time in the middle of this century)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

recedite wrote: »
    I suspect this device will be involved in the arrival of the tech singularity they were talking about in post #2231. (Expected some time in the middle of this century)

I've been following the talk on the technological singularity for a while. The way I see it is, as long as there isn't a social collapse like that posited by Jared Diamond, then it's not a case of if but when. Either way life as we know will with a high degree of probability drastically change beyond recognition (goes without saying). But when I see things like this I fear it will be catastrophe over something positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Potatoe? Has Dan Quayle got a job at the Torygraph??

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

spiral.jpg

See what Creationists are missing out on? :D

ninja900 wrote: »
    Didn't know that he'd been caught on video :)

Fer all ye young 'uns, Dan Quayle was foot-in-mouth veep to President George Bush the First (1989-1993).
    Quayle wrote:
    The holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history.… No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history.
    Quayle wrote:
    [...] what a waste it is to lose one's mind or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
    etc, etc.

• Advertisement

Quayle is a liberal intellectual compared to what the Republican Party dredges up these days.

robindch wrote: »
    ninja900 wrote: »
    Didn't know that he'd been caught on video :)

Fer all ye young 'uns, Dan Quayle was foot-in-mouth veep to President George Bush the First (1989-1993).
    Quayle wrote:
    The holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history.… No, not our nation's, but in World War II. I mean, we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century, but in this century's history.
    Quayle wrote:
    [...] what a waste it is to lose one's mind or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
    etc, etc.

but... mmmm... what? I thought the one thing politicians had going for them was speaking coherently. never mind making sense.

God particle discovery due within months
    A WEST Belfast-born engineer who is director of accelerators and technology at the Cern particle physics laboratory in Geneva has predicted that one of the key secrets of the universe will be discovered in a matter of months.

Dr Stephen Myers told an engineers’ conference in Belfast yesterday that evidence for the existence or non-existence of the Higgs boson – the so-called God particle – could be discovered as early as August and by October at the latest.

Student researcher spies odd lava spirals on Mars
    LOS ANGELES (AP) – A researcher has spotted lava flows shaped like coils of rope near the equator of Mars, the first time such geologic features have been discovered outside of Earth.

These twisty volcanic patterns can be found on Hawaii's Big Island and in the Pacific seafloor on our planet. While evidence for lava flows is present in many places on Mars, none are shaped like this latest find.

Linky.
    The link. wrote:
    "Our results suggest that habitual analytical thinking could be one reason scientists tend to be disbelievers," notes Norenzaya. It also suggests that – as some religious people fear – exposure to science may erode belief, not just through discoveries such as evolution, but just by promoting analytical thinking.

I can see how this makes sense, but two of the who I would regard as the greatest analytical thinkers I know personally are devout Catholics. Then again it must be said they know their religion intimately, something that I can't say for many Catholics. One of them doesn't even believe in the concept of luck! It absolutely boggles my mind each time how they can have so much compartmentalisation.

koth wrote: »
    Sounds like a very unscientific way to release (non) information.

Are they trying to drum up funding, I wonder?

Dades wrote: »

They probably are trying to drum up funding but either way it's common knowledge that Higgs will either be found or ruled out for definite in the coming months. :)

Not sure if this belongs in 'Hazards of Belief' or not.
    Laxmi Sargara was only a year old when her parents married her to 3-year-old Rakesh. Nearly two decades later, the Indian woman successfully had the marriage annulled. .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/laxmi-sargara-india-child-bride_n_1456212.html
    Child marriage is linked to poverty, lack of education and, above all, to the entrenched social norms that push parents to marry their daughters off early,”

This is what happens to those who haven't eaten from the 'tree of knowledge'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

It's just various scientists giving what would be normal, low-profile seminars except that the media has flagged this as a big issue, so every one of them gets reported.

• Advertisement

202523.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-religion-analytical-thinking-20120427,0,5374010.story
    Those who think more analytically are less inclined to be religious believers than are those who tend to follow a gut instinct, researchers conclude.
    Read more at the link. I'll also post the concluding bit of the article...
    So does this mean that religious faith can be undermined with just a little extra mental effort? Not really, said Nicholas Epley, a social psychologist at the University of Chicago who was not involved in the study. But it does show that belief isn't set in stone, but can respond to a person's context.

"There's an illusion that our brains are more static than they actually are," he said. "We have fundamental beliefs and values that we hold, and those things seem sticky, constant. But it's easier to get movement on something fundamental."

As for whether this should alarm the layperson, Epley shrugged. "Even deeply religious people will point out they have had moments of doubt," he said.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-sci-religion-analytical-thinking-20120427,0,5374010.story

Read more at the link. I'll also post the concluding bit of the article...

*Cough* *five posts up from yours*

(Or four posts up on the previous page if you're awesome.:D)

Via /.:

See what Dublin would look like with an extra 7m of sea level:

http://flood.firetree.net/?ll=53.3642,-6.2468&z=4

Discovery crashes planes for curiosity's sake:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2012/04/discovery-channel-crashes-plane-for-documentary.html

Primordial soup available near Oslo:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47225834#.T55-CNntPCp

Via /.:

I'll have a close-to-seafront property if we get a 7m rise...

.. ker-CHING! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Evilution will have to give me gills or I'm fecked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

interesting that o'connell street seems untouched by a 6m rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

It's a shame it's not another 20m :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭smokingman

Via /.:

Looks like I'm safe as long as it's not between 50 and 60 metres :)
    "Build your house on a hill son, 'tis the only way..."

Suddenly my Dads old fashioned words have discovered some climatological meaning! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You can zoom out and scroll around the place.

Look at the Netherlands with +7 :eek:

I have to say I wonder is it accurate.

7m is about 23ft. Ignoring the Netherlands, it doesn't seem to be that serious, particularly around cork.

I would've thought half the city would be under water.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing it's just going by terrain altitude. Look at Australia after i think 20m? The middle of it s flooded.

Highly Religious People Are Less Motivated by Compassion Than Are Non-Believers
    "Love thy neighbor" is preached from many a pulpit. But new research from the University of California, Berkeley, suggests that the highly religious are less motivated by compassion when helping a stranger than are atheists, agnostics and less religious people.

In three experiments, social scientists found that compassion consistently drove less religious people to be more generous. For highly religious people, however, compassion was largely unrelated to how generous they were, according to the findings which are published in the most recent online issue of the journal Social Psychological and Personality Science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Saw this on the "Photo's that shook the world" thread:
    7124516455_e96136074b_b.jpg

150 gigapixel image of a section of the Milky Way, comprised of a billion suns like our own. It represents less than 1% of the galaxy.

Zoom in to see each star.

http://djer.roe.ac.uk/vsa/vvv/iipmooviewer-2.0-beta/vvvgps5.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Lizard found with a placenta*

* this upgrade not normally available to reptiles

recedite wrote: »
    Lizard found with a placenta*

* this upgrade not normally available to reptiles

Also from that site:

Does Rain Come From Life in the Clouds?
    The size and composition of each particle flash across Prather’s monitor. The specks at the heart of those ice crystals are high in aluminum, iron, silicon, and titanium, the chemical signatures of dust not from California but from faraway deserts in Asia or even Africa. There’s something else in the crystals too: carbon, nitrogen, and phosphorus, telltale signs of biological cells...

Does this mean that there's microbes, bacteria or living cells high above us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bacteria live everywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Saw this on the "Photo's that shook the world" thread:
    7124516455_e96136074b_b.jpg

150 gigapixel image of a section of the Milky Way, comprised of a billion suns like our own. It represents less than 1% of the galaxy.

Zoom in to see each star.

http://djer.roe.ac.uk/vsa/vvv/iipmooviewer-2.0-beta/vvvgps5.html

203180.jpg

I found him!

The Russian church still has money. The exchange rate is roughly 40 rubles to one euro:

http://englishrussia.com/2012/05/01/the-plant-of-the-russian-orthodox-church/

• Advertisement
Advertisement