Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling car privately

Options
  • 14-09-2006 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi
    Whats the story with selling privately?
    Whats the procedure?
    Any downfalls to it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Downfalls:

Time-wasting tyre-kickers.
    It may take months to sell depending on the car, engine and price.
    When you advertise your car, be prepared for phone calls from a bunch of scam artists known as "Vehicle Center UK". Tell them to go fcuk themselves when they ring.

Be careful with things like test drives and insurance and all that.

The only real procedure is to get the buyer to fill their details into your vehicle registration certificate, then you post it off to Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

what's the best way to receive payment...

Personally, i'd prefer cash or bank transfer, but obviously i wouldn't be willing to part with the car until all funds are securely in my account, and if i were the buyer, i wouldn't wanna hand over a cheque or transfer money if i wasn't leaving in the car in question...

So that leaves cash... but, i'd be dubious about accepting a large sum of cash... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

How about "warranty"?
    ie if the engine expires after 3 weeks, have you still responsibility for it?
    Or is a policy of "sold as seen" assumed?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Normally with a private sale its sold as seen, caveat emptor. The only warranty that would apply is the original manufacturer's warranty (transferrable under EU law apparently) if there's any time left on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Bank draught is the way to go, when cheque clears they get car:

Don't let them test drive your car without insurance, its only a simple matter of ringing (you call, not them)their insurance company and do a temp sub, and this usually sorts out the messers anyway :)

If you are going for a test drive, make sure someone follows you in another car for security...

All you can do is advertise the car where you can and hope for the best...
    Good luck with the sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

There have been cases of bogus Bank Drafts and Building Society Cheques, I would ask the buyer to call you with details of the issuing bank and the Draft number after they have purchased it and then call the bank to verify it is OK!

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement