Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever died in a dream?

Options
  • 14-09-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭

I heard yonks ago that if you die ina dream, you die in real life, but I now think thats rubbish, because the other night, I died in a dream for the second time in my life!

First time it happened was when I was about 10 years old. The big 6 foot tall hatchet from a really old suit of armour fell right in the middle of my head. After that one, I woke up immediately.

Just this week though, I dreamt I was hit by a meteor (OH YEAH, what a way to go!!) and was instantly killed. The weird thing is that I kept dreaming after I died, and felt myself floating around in the air above where I had been sitting in the grass. I felt strangely serene after this. Well, as serene as you can be having been hit by a meteor :)

Have you ever died in a dream, and if you did; what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Several times, I usually wake up right after it with no ill effects other than an increased heart rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

I get shot in the head a lot in dreams but I always keep dreaming because right before I get shot(and during sometimes) I realise that I'm dreaming so I'm not too worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I used to die in a dream every night, i used to get aboandoned(in my dreams, very peculiar things to happen...?). From about three years ago to just a month ago, i felt very insecure and so i used to haev thoughts of death in my dreams.

Many were very horrific, including some of where planes flew into me, or I died of suicide.

At least now, i look back and laugh at myself, i died every night and i'm alive to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have had dreams where I am about to die but it never actually happens, I just wake with a shock before the fatality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Always wake up before I can die in a nightmare of this type. Sometimes I am a helpless child. Other times I am in my late teens and fighting for my life, but it's like everything is in slow motion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Ruu wrote:
    I have had dreams where I am about to die but it never actually happens, I just wake with a shock before the fatality.

Same as my self, about 3 or 4 times it has happend in my life now. Heart would be pounding when i wake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I once died iin a dream I was having in my dream :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭madhitchhiker

for a lot of times i dreamt of being strangled to death and as i struggle to breath i knew my effort was futile so i succomb to death. funny thing is, when i've finally given up, i'd wake up and find out it's my cat finding peace in my throat that's killing me in my dreams!:mad: couldn't hit him though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

When I was a kid I had this recurring dream about getting knocked down crossing the road to go into the local park. Dream went right through to the funeral. One of the main things I remember is looking into the coffin and seeing myself wearing a light grey suit. Must have been about 11 or 12 I'd say when I used to get this dream

LadyJ wrote:
    I get shot in the head a lot in dreams but I always keep dreaming because right before I get shot(and during sometimes) I realise that I'm dreaming so I'm not too worried.

Me too! Happening a lot more recently. Usually wake up if it happens, though I do always have to touch my head where I was shot to make sure :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i once dreamt that i was fighting the nazis in my old secondary school and was shot in the back down by the canteen. it was one the strangest feelings ever but really nice. as if the life was being sucked out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 82,474 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've never actually died in REM (Rapid Eye Movement = Dreamstate) but I've fallen off buildings, Been *just* about vaporised by the apocalypse (right before Y2K), and even had a big gaping hole blasted through my torso..but I never died...had fun running my arms through it though :p

My theory is that if you can imagine it, it can happen in a dream. Since the vast majority of the populous can't really fathom the concept of death, we simply wake up; too afraid to consider it, or simply unable.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm pretty sure one of my dreams is going to give me a heart attack one of these days. I've woken up literally in pain from my heart beating so much. Scary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Belle_Morte

I've died in dreams; I used to have a recurring zombie nightmares, real Night of the Living Dead type stuff, most of the time I managed to escape but I remember once getting caught and my brain being eaten :eek:

It wasn't as painful as you'd expect, it just felt oddly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I've often nearly died. And every time I'd start shouting to myself that I have to fight fight fight...and then I'd get away alive.
    But it's scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

I use to die a good bit in my dreams and it freaked me out completely. I'd have nightmares about having nightmares. In the dreams it wasn't a car crash or getting shot, it was suicide, and that scared me out of my wits. Another was drowning which was horrible. I'm right bedside the sea so if I drowned in a dream and woke up I'd hear the sound of waves! But then they became less frequent and I rarely get them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I have never died in a dream!
    Goodness, how scary!
    I wonder if that type of dream is caused by something in the person's life...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

apparently from http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/

To see a shooting in your dream, indicates that you have a set goal and know what you are aiming for in life. Your plans are right on target!

To dream that you shoot a person with a gun, denotes your aggressive feelings and hidden anger toward that particular person.

To dream that someone is shooting you with a gun, suggests that you are experiencing some confrontation in your waking life. You may feel victimized in some situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

During the sumemr, I was down on my boat with some friends, we were all kinda high, and we decided to go swimming in this big lake we were on.. I hadn't swam in about 5 years, and when I did, it was just a small bit of paddling around..

Anyway, I jumped off the top of the boat, hit the water, and eventually got back to the surface.. My friends started shouting at me, telling me I was bleeding from my nose and mouth, so in a state of panic, I started to try paddle back, but the boat seemed really far away (a couple metres away) and as I tried to shout back to them I couldn't talk, because I was in shock, aswell as the shock from the cold of the water. I eventually got to the boat, grabbed onto a fender hanging from the side, and then my friend threw me a rope and pulled me to the ladder at the back. I spat out a good bit of blood and then took some deep breaths to help the blood scab inside me. All in all a pretty scary experience, especially when you consider drowning is my biggest fear..

I think it was that night, or maybe a week or two later, but I then had a dream where I jumped off the roof of a boat, hit the water with such force that I sank all the way to the bottom, looked up and thought that I'd never make it to the surface, so without hesitation, I took a deep breath and inhaled loads of water to try speed up the process. I then realised what I did and woke myself up.

The whole experience was shocking, especially the dream, kinda scared me a good bit to think would I just accept death and try speed up the process..

Anybody know if there could be something behind this dream, more than maybe I just had it on my mind after the incident? I was always wondering, but never knew there was a dream/sleeping forum..

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yes I have. In many different ways. Most commonly by being shot.

• Advertisement

This happenned me for the first time about 2 months ago..Itn the dream it was the apocalypse(there was this red star int the sky, meaning, obviously, that it was the apocalypse), i was sitting on top of a roof with the ex girlfriend,a relationship that had finally been put to rest a few days beforehand, and some dude throws a ninja star at me, which missed, went way off to the right, came back and knocked me off the roof..it was about a 4 story building, i hit the ground, and sort of saw myself passing throught something,in sort of water or something..it freaked the sh1t out of me for a few days..i thought you couldnt die in a dream either..but you can..apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Shot and stabbed on occasion, usually saving a friends life but then my parting words are often a tad bitter, in a "I told you I cared but you never believed me" kinda way... so its pretty easy to see what the issue may be there ;)

Another one I, not so much lately but in my youth certainly had a lot, was of being eaten alive, which apparently means I'm consumed with sexual desire... which for the time I was having those dreams would make sense! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I have often died in my dreams, one of my common is falling and falling and hitting the ground and waking up with a thulk as if I had hit it. Weirdest one was getting eaten by a lion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I had this dream years ago as a child but it is still really vivd to this day.

I was on a bus and this gang which liked bikers came on to hijack the bus for whatever reason, they were telling everyone to shut up, I was just standing there in fear, the leader of the gang came up to me and just looked at me, pointed a gun to my head and pulled trigger, I remember falling back really slowly sort of like slow motion, I looked to the right and seen a face of absolute shock and horror on a middle aged women face, I fell on sleep and everything went black and then I woke up.
    Possibly 1 of my favourite dreams ever, real memorable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

I have died quite a few times in a dream - mostly they were quite violent too!

Lots of times ive been shot - felt so real. Once i was shot several times in the chest at once. Another time i was stabbed.
    Most recently the other night i was standing at a riverside and a group of youths mugged me and pushed me into the river!!

Freaky - i really would like to know what these mean??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Sarn

Got shot in the chest, looked down saw the blood, collapsed and died, kept dreaming, was so vivid.

I've fallen from great heights, hit the ground and survived but maybe I'm just lucky. :p

Advertisement