Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphy the tv pundit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'm not sure Eireboy. The thing is most will throw in people that they have never seen play basically due to their name and reputation. For example. We have all watched videos of Pele but we only see the good highlights. I honestly don't know how good pele was as I wasn't around when he was playing so I never got to see his bad games or how frequent they were. That said he would still be in my all time 11. Why? basically because popular opinion is that he was the best. Wait 10 years when you see the WC coming around and videos of Zidane you will remember how amazing he was. We grew up with him so we will also remember how it took him till his mid 20's to get to grips with big games. This sort of thing gets forgotten in the passage of football history.

Growing up on Italian football due to my family (no im not italian) I can tell you exactly how good Giacinto Facchetti was. Possibly the best left full in history, although being a Milan boy I'd have to give it to Paulo instead! But could many others? I'd say possibly Kearnsr would but thats about it.

Christ thats way off topic isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

last night was hillarious... dunphy sitting beside Houghton and pretty much calling him an idiot

I thought it was going to end with Bill breaking the 2 kids up and send ing them to their rooms :) but I guess that's what makes it so appealing to watch.

On the topic of Houghton, I think he could be contender for the most negative person in the world. If a shot is saved, he doesn't say "good save" or "well done keeper" he lambasts the striker for missing. He highlights bad touches, mistimed passes etc but very rarely mentions the pinpoint passes and any tricks etc. But I guesss he's allowed to do that because lord knows he never mistimed a pass before :rolleyes:

He's very annoying. Dunphy/Giles/Brady ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

iregk wrote:
    I'm not sure Eireboy. The thing is most will throw in people that they have never seen play basically due to their name and reputation. For example. We have all watched videos of Pele but we only see the good highlights. I honestly don't know how good pele was as I wasn't around when he was playing so I never got to see his bad games or how frequent they were. That said he would still be in my all time 11. Why? basically because popular opinion is that he was the best. Wait 10 years when you see the WC coming around and videos of Zidane you will remember how amazing he was. We grew up with him so we will also remember how it took him till his mid 20's to get to grips with big games. This sort of thing gets forgotten in the passage of football history.
    That's weird, I had the very same conversation with my brother in law over the weekend. I don't like it when someone can say that a player that they have never seen is the best ever player to have put on a jersey. And sure it's all very subjective anyway.
    sprinkles wrote:
    last night was hillarious... dunphy sitting beside Houghton and pretty much calling him an idiot

I thought it was going to end with Bill breaking the 2 kids up and send ing them to their rooms but I guess that's what makes it so appealing to watch.
    I thought that was brilliant last night. Houghton wouldn't even look at Dunphy when he was having a pop at him. And in fainess, Dunphy did have a point even if his point may have been lost due to his belligerence in doing so, which is quite often the case.

I also thought it was funny when he was asked before the match what type of game it was going to be and he said that it'd be a borefest so he'll be watching one of the other matches instead. Bill was none too pleased, as was the production team I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    That wouldn't bother RTE- Man Utd could be playing tiddlywinks and they would show it.
    True, but it's not very professional.

I know, I know. RTE / Professional. No need to point out the contradiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

small bit off topic
    When Bill turned to Giles at half time for his views
    Giles came out with a comment like - what do you want me to do, cry
    Went something like that, thought it was brilliant cos he actually meant it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

iregk wrote:
    Aye but I'd be pretty sure Ronaldinho would stick out amongst everyone if he was the player he is now back 40 years ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Listen to me when I’m Tolkien to you Houghton: back in your hobbit hole you grim, hairy footed, negative little scottshobbit. I was never aware of his moaning until somebody pointed out his constant negative attitude to me; I can’t hear anything but his nit-picking now.

Dunphy (Old Scrote Face) tells it like he sees it. He's not always correct, but then again he doesn't toe the line of the general consensus simply to gain popularity like some do. I often flick between UTV (worst commentators and analysis on the box) to see how insipid their viewpoints really are. There’s never a word of controversy said by any of them - especially that Townsend fella – and their contribution is all the poorer for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Maybe they should do a an "analyst swap" sometime like wifeswap. Make a documentary out of it.

I'd love to see how Brady, Giles and especially Dunphy would go down with the British public (and Richard Keyes), even just for 1 show. I think the majority would find them refreshing.

And after an evening with Gray, Rednap or even Chris Kamarra we might appreciate them bit more.

Also Ray Houghton is really bad. He's just the generic ex-footballer that talks plenty but when you really break it down, does n't say much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

eirebhoy wrote:
    Aye but I'd be pretty sure Ronaldinho would stick out amongst everyone if he was the player he is now back 40 years ago...

Probably true. But what I'm saying is that when we see the older days, puskas, di steffano, pele etc... we only see their highlights. Most have no idea what they were really like. Ronaldinho now gives you about 15 mins a game. The rest of the time he is no where. Now like I said earlier, in 20 years time when we see snippets of him we will be reminded of how magical he was and forget that mostly he is nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I'd love to see how Brady, Giles and especially Dunphy would go down with the British public (and Richard Keyes), even just for 1 show. I think the majority would find them refreshing.

Giles did one show on Sky Sports, but didn't come off well, they didn't let him get his point across and didn't give him much time to speak either. There was a round up on football365 of the alternatives to MOTD/The Premiership on ITV a few months back and most in the west said if you can pick up RTE then watching the Premiership was well worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Giles did one show on Sky Sports, ,

What show was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

What show was it?
    He was a pundit for one game, ages ago. 3 years at least I'd say
    Can't even remember who was playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It might have been 'You're on Sky Sports'.

I have a vague recollection of it.

It was Jim'll Fix It.

Fred got his wish but unfortunately for him, and as is the the way with JFI, it was only for one day. Ah well, probably a good thing for all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I have to disagree with some of you boys, I actually like Houghton and tend to agree with most things he says. The Dunph is pure entertainment nothing else, his lack of knowledge of football is comical but you gota love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Just spent an entertaining half hour flicking through some of Dunphy's golden moments on Youtube. Here's some of the favourites:

Firstly, THE rant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prep4trYNj4

After Liverpool knocked out Barcelona in CL last year:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTM-abNEyk

"First time I've seen sex between 2 men". Souness looks confused by it all:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cugYQ35vtvQ

"Ronaldo is a Puffball"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nosRxHeiAdA

"Would ya let him drive the train to Cork, Bill?"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2riImtF0tw0

Eamon on what defines greatness:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7mIGM3UeEc

"They think God is English"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfqp7e7mBI

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Taking for example the Champions League 2nd round tie between Liverpool and Barcelona, we have Johnny Giles, Eamon Dunphy and Liam Brady as our match experts, the A-Team of RTE football. Before the match we hear comments from Eamon Dunphy talking about the Barcelona team and their young player, Lionel Messi. He quotes “Now that’s a real footballer, unlike Cristiano Ronaldo”. I’m sorry Eamon, but what does Cristiano Ronaldo have to do with either Liverpool’s or Barcelona’s team for the match? Even though his comment is already irrelevant, it is also just plain wrong. Ronaldo has scored 16 Premier League goals and 2 league goals so far this season. Messi has scored 6 league goals (including a hat trick against Real Madrid) and 1 European goal. Both players play on the same position for their team (attacking right winger) and both players frequently get their game. Ronaldo also has one of the highest assist rates in the Premier League, whereas Messi doesn’t even feature in the top 10 in La Liga in Spain. Why then must Dunphy say this? What sense does it make and what is its purpose?

The reason I believe, seems to just to be to upset certain viewers and keep others amused. It bears no relevance for the match in question, but it does go along with Dunphy’s blatant anti- English football stance. For years now he has been telling us how the Premier League isn’t all its hyped up to be (hype, a favorite word of Mr. Dunphy) and how this reflects in England’s national side. Any attack against a player who is “hyped” is a good thing for Dunphy as it helps to prove his fairytale that English football is just all hype. Would business men around the world be willing to pay the reported £40 million price tag for Ronaldo if he was just all hype? Do business men not do their research before handing over such vast sums of money? Are they all just sucked in by the “hype” of Sky Sports and the Premier League? Doubtful. The fact is that 3 Premier League teams are in the Quarter- Finals of the Champions League and all 3 have very good chances of going on and lifting the trophy. The myth is that in La Liga football is of a higher and better class than in England, almost a form of football snobbery. The argument being that the top four teams in English football are just so far ahead of the rest of the pack. Is this not true in La Liga also? Barcelona, Real Madrid, Valencia and current high lifers – Sevilla leading the pack. As far as the Spanish National side is concerned, they are infamous bottlers who failed to get out of their group in Euro 2004 and in the 2006 World Cup they whimpered out to France (3-1) in the second round. This is much the same as England’s previous tournaments where the team seemed to bottle it and under-perform in crucial matches.

The point of this is that these seemingly minor comments constitute for a lot more then just a simple off the cuff remark. They are from a man who seems more interested in getting his name in the paper for both good and bad reasons and to attempt to enforce his opinion of football upon the fans. It is now the year 2007, 85 years after Irish independence from British rule, yet we see our main broadcaster allow anti- British comments (albeit, only anti- British football comments) interfere with viewing and analysis of a sport. It is an extremely tabloid-esque way to broadcast to the public and shows little or no sense of principle. Of course the ratings are constantly high for these programs and the controversy surrounding the panel makes people tune in more, not to get the relevant information, but to wait to hear what is going to be said next. Is this how national broadcasters justify misinformation and shoddy analysis?

Of course, if it’s not Eamon Dunphy standing on his soap box preaching to anyone that will listen to him that makes you want to change channel, it could be the two accomplices. Johnny Giles is a celebrated Irish footballer of fantastic pedigree who was also a fantastic Football pundit. Over the past three years though his high standards have really begun to deteriorate. It is as if Eamon Dunphy has finally bent Giles into becoming an extremely pessimistic pundit who really doesn’t care for any match he watches. He seems tired and his opinions and contributions to the analysis of the game are much more negative then what they once were. Liverpool knock out Barcelona (the current champions) of one of the world’s most prestigious tournaments, the Champions League and what does Giles think? He thinks it wasn’t that good a match and that neither team deserved to go through. Well that’s just fantastic. Liverpool become only the second team ever in English history to go to the Neu Camp and win and he thinks neither team deserve to go through? If you aren’t excited about the sport you’re analyzing and are also broadcasting to thousands of homes then maybe you need to think about your current profession.

Messi is of course awesome and those stats about him were right at the time of writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Holy dead thread resurrection Batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

"Would ya let him drive the train to Cork, Bill?"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2riImtF0tw0

QUOTE]

I love this one, he goes on about needing experience and training but what experience and training does he have to do TV and Radio Journalism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Dunphy at least speaks his mind, right or wrong. Give me Dunphy Brady and Giles any day over the bland nothing 'analysis' that we get on some of the other channels, ITV being particularly bad. And Jamie Redknapp on Sky, inspiring stuff. Sky Sports even get match analysts that are connected with the clubs who are actually playing, guaranteeing that they can't/won't be totally honest in what they're saying.

Like someone else said he was the first media pundit to come out and openly say that he doubted Michelle Smith's integrity, at a time when she was still the golden girl of Ireland and he was widely vilified for saying it. He may not always be right but he will call a spade a spade as he sees it and ultimately that's what pundits are supposed to do, not fobbing you off with the sort of drivel we hear on the English channels.

EDIT: admittedly he has lost the plot a little on Ronaldo. I would actually love to see Ronaldo score a hat-trick in the champions league final just to see what Dunphy would say.

eamonn dunphy gets paid liscence payers money to tell lies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

and he also kicks babies

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Dunphy is the Howard Stern of football punditry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Eamon Dunphy is the marmite of football punditry. Love or loathe him you have to laugh at the entertainment he provides and gives a far more interesting analysis than most other pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

A part of me likes to tune into RTE to get the blunt analysis, but at this stage Dunphy just has vendettas which get old. Swipe after swipe on Ronaldo - fair enough, he thinks he's over-rated, plenty of people do, but I don't think he's ever thrown him a compliment, even in a season where he scored 23 goals from the right wing. His Ronaldo rants really get old. I didn't see the analysis last night, but if he was attacking Rio like people have said, then he must have been watching another game.

I miss Rodney Marsh on Sky. He was as blunt as they come, but he was a lot more intelligent than Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

aidan24326 wrote:
    Dunphy at least speaks his mind, right or wrong. Give me Dunphy Brady and Giles any day over the bland nothing 'analysis' that we get on some of the other channels, ITV being particularly bad. And Jamie Redknapp on Sky, inspiring stuff. Sky Sports even get match analysts that are connected with the clubs who are actually playing, guaranteeing that they can't/won't be totally honest in what they're saying.

Like someone else said he was the first media pundit to come out and openly say that he doubted Michelle Smith's integrity, at a time when she was still the golden girl of Ireland and he was widely vilified for saying it. He may not always be right but he will call a spade a spade as he sees it and ultimately that's what pundits are supposed to do, not fobbing you off with the sort of drivel we hear on the English channels.

EDIT: admittedly he has lost the plot a little on Ronaldo. I would actually love to see Ronaldo score a hat-trick in the champions league final just to see
    what Dunphy would say.

Would have to say I agree with you up to a point. Your post is definitely true for his first few years as a TV pundit. However I feel that over the last few years he sometimes makes statements just to be controversial .And the man is not stupid the more controversy = more $$$$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I have to disagree with some of you boys, I actually like Houghton and tend to agree with most things he says. The Dunph is pure entertainment nothing else, his lack of knowledge of football is comical but you gota love him.
    Yuk. Houghton is the worst. In nearly every game he manages to prove he hasn't a clue. Also, he never says he was wrong about something. Like when there's a foul, he'd say it was a dive, then another camera angle would prove that it wasn't. Still a dive according to Ray.
    I'd happily see his wages go to dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Despite all the antics, generalisations and general repulsiveness I still think Dunphy is a better analyst than a lot of the high profile idiots out there... Gray and Redknapp on Sky, Shearer on the BBC, and everyone on Setanta and TV3 are some examples who have much worse generalisations and cliches, they just say it in a much more bland fashion so as not to piss people off.

as DesF says at least he says it how he sees it, and he makes for more entertaining watching.

this thread should be kept alive though for purposes of DunphyWatch though. an archive of all the ridiculous things he comes out with :D

aidan24326 wrote:
    Sky Sports even get match analysts that are connected with the clubs who are actually playing, guaranteeing that they can't/won't be totally honest in what they're saying.
    Well Brady is involved with Arsenal, but in fairness to him, i think he knowingly steers clear of talking too much about them in detail to avoid sounding biased.

• Advertisement

Well Brady is involved with Arsenal, but in fairness to him, i think he knowingly steers clear of talking to much about them in detail to avoid sounding biased.

Brady would be an analyst for Arsenal's opposition by the standards of Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Some of the comments from the clips are hilarious.How dare you talk about english football/ers like that.Down with this sort of thing !!!

"eamonn dunphy is the marmite of football punditry"
    "eamonn dunphy is the Howard Stern of football"

no & no,
    if anything he is the Paris Hilton of pundits. he shouldnt be a pundit, but he is. he is more famous for drinking in Lillies and his various spats and the only way he will make a note on the punditry world is by funny quotes and purposely controversial opinions that are more designed to attack a player/country/club then to actually analyse the game of football in front of his eyes.

as far as im concerned, anyone that is a fan of dunphy or actually thinks he is some sort of ok pundit just doesnt know football and are more into the soap opera side of things. all he does is spit out lies and then drivels on about how crap everyone is compared to kaka/messi/keane.

he will still get ratings tho as there are idiots out there who still believe hes "telling the harsh truth as controversial as it may be cos he dont take sh1t from no1". nevermind the fact that hes constantly proved wrong, we can whitewash over that sure.

spose the only upside to his existence on the telly that its great fun to do impressions of him :D

Jazzy wrote:
    no & no,
    if anything he is the Paris Hilton of pundits. he shouldnt be a pundit, but he is. he is more famous for drinking in Lillies and his various spats and the only way he will make a note on the punditry world is by funny quotes and purposely controversial opinions that are more designed to attack a player/country/club then to actually analyse the game of football in front of his eyes.
    as far as im concerned, anyone that is a fan of dunphy or actually thinks he is some sort of ok pundit just doesnt know football
    He's also been a great journalist/writer/radio presenter. Controversial he might be, but to say he's more famous for drinkin in lillies, and that fans of his don't know football is just silly.

most of his "writings" in the past 5 years have been rambling followed by counter-rambling as his predictions go horribly awry. he writes pretty much the same nonsense he talks on the telly. I remember the ads for him during the world cup - "you want to really know what I think of the England national side? buy the Star"... cha' right hes a good journalist or a role model for any aspiring reporters. hes still got his readers though, cos "he speaks the truth no matter what cos hes controversial and hard hitting". Bill O Reilly in America is controversial and hard hitting, but that is the only thing he is and hes one of the most "successful" journo's about (watch The O Reilly Factor on Fox News if you want to see success ;) ).
    Just cos Dunphy might sell alot doesnt make him any use, same for his radio ratings. He'll bring an audience cos he is quite good at being controversial but whereas Howard Stern got away with it cos he was actually a good DJ and had a point to prove, Dunphy just has vandetta's to settle and leagues/countries to snipe at.

Ill say it again, if you are a fan of Dunphy's because of his ability to analyse football, then you dont know what you are on about :)

Jazzy wrote:
    Ill say it again, if you are a fan of Dunphy's because of his ability to analyse football, then you dont know what you are on about :)

no, you're missing the point entirely. the only reason we would call ourselves "fans" (and i wouldn't go that far personally) of Dunphy is because of a lack of a viable alternative. put it this way, Dunphy,as misguided or not as his opinions are, at least attempts attempts to critically analyse a match. On the other hand, Jamie Redknapp and co. deliver platitude after platitude and meaningless clichés.

redknapp, alan shearer and anyone on itv are obviously terrible... there is no reason to listen to any of them except for comedy. Dunphy goes under the guise of being legitimate, but in reality he belongs on the red tops and similar thinking tv channels, not our national broadcaster which pay him our money.
    Dunphy is as good a pundit as redknapp when it comes to analysing the game, i know dunphy knows more about footy then poor jamie but Dunphy's lies and attitude put him down there with the dregs.
    I have no doubt that if the man actually did his job and used facts and watnot then he would be a very good pundit as he has some fire and opinion about him... but alas he doesnt, he thinks its better to slag off a young Portuguese player who scored 23 goals from midfield last season while simultaneously picking up the player of the season award from the league and his club...

Jazzy wrote:
    most of his "writings" in the past 5 years have been rambling followed by counter-rambling as his predictions go horribly awry. he writes pretty much the same nonsense he talks on the telly. I remember the ads for him during the world cup - "you want to really know what I think of the England national side? buy the Star"... cha' right hes a good journalist or a role model for any aspiring reporters. hes still got his readers though, cos "he speaks the truth no matter what cos hes controversial and hard hitting". Bill O Reilly in America is controversial and hard hitting, but that is the only thing he is and hes one of the most "successful" journo's about (watch The O Reilly Factor on Fox News if you want to see success ;) ).
    Just cos Dunphy might sell alot doesnt make him any use, same for his radio ratings. He'll bring an audience cos he is quite good at being controversial but whereas Howard Stern got away with it cos he was actually a good DJ and had a point to prove, Dunphy just has vandetta's to settle and leagues/countries to snipe at.

I rarely agree with him, but i'll still listen to him, regardless of how blatantly wrong he usually is. He does sometimes comes out with some interesting insights.
    And i'm sure any aspiring football journo has read "Only a game?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

lets face it, if given the choice between dunphy, hanson, and redknapp, dunphy wins every time for the entertainment factor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Fair enough, but you can get both, like Souness, or that Spanish guy, or any of the lads on Soccer Saturday are interesting enough. I'd rather watch Andy Gray to be honest.

Jazzy wrote:
    as far as im concerned, anyone that is a fan of dunphy or actually thinks he is some sort of ok pundit just doesnt know football and are more into the soap opera side of things. all he does is spit out lies and then drivels on about how crap everyone is compared to kaka/messi/keane.

he will still get ratings tho as there are idiots out there who still believe hes "telling the harsh truth as controversial as it may be cos he dont take sh1t from no1". nevermind the fact that hes constantly proved wrong, we can whitewash over that sure.

just dont think of him as a pundit

i think the problem is that people take him seriously, when hes definitely not to be taken seriously, whatever he thinks himself

the man is tremendous entertainment, even if it is for laughing/cringing at some of the nonsense he comes out with

ill take that any day of the bland ****e the other channels have

PHB wrote:
    Fair enough, but you can get both, like Souness, or that Spanish guy, or any of the lads on Soccer Saturday are interesting enough. I'd rather watch Andy Gray to be honest.

why do you need punditry at all tho? youre after watching the game yourself, you hardly need someone else to tell you what you just saw

the only reason i watch post match analysis is for the replays of the action and the interviews, i couldnt give a toss whats being said, and a lot of the time ill turn it off afterwards and wait for motd or motd2 to watch the highlights and interviews there. but if dunphys on ill watch him

no, you're missing the point entirely. the only reason we would call ourselves "fans" (and i wouldn't go that far personally) of Dunphy is because of a lack of a viable alternative. put it this way, Dunphy,as misguided or not as his opinions are, at least attempts attempts to critically analyse a match. On the other hand, Jamie Redknapp and co. deliver platitude after platitude and meaningless clichés.

That's exactly the problem with some of the other channels (ITV,SKY etc) their 'analysts' often aren't even worth watching as they give you nothing at all, no real opinion one way or the other. If we were to believe Sky Sports every player in the league is great and every match a super sunday classic.

Dunphy can be spot-on correct or horribly wrong at various times, but at least he doesn't sit on the fence like some of the others. I do think he's becoming more and more outrageous in his comments though, could certainly be a better pundit if he cut out some of the nonsense like attacking Ronaldo at every opportunity (some of what he says about Ronaldo is right he's just gone too far with it now). He is a quality journalist on non-football matters but his tv fooyball punditry isn't what it used to be. Though his 'train to cork' rant about Staunton was classic stuff, and alot of it true.

It must be said he has provided some great entertainment over years and is classic fodder to the likes of Apres Match. The meltdown after Egypt 1990, or the night he called a goalkeeper (for one of the European teams) dracula, 'cos he was so afraid of crosses! You gotta love it.

no, Dunphy isnt a quality journalist. he is in fact, gutter sh1te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

wow, another Dunphy thread...again

• Advertisement

Jazzy wrote:
    no, Dunphy isnt a quality journalist. he is in fact, gutter sh1te.

Nonsense. You're now guilty of what you would accuse Dunphy of, blatant bias. You clearly dislike him probably because you're a Ronaldo fan, and are now slating him across the board. Dunphy has always been a decent writer on non-football issues, and his football writing used to be good too (only a game for example). It's his tv punditry that's up for debate here and even those of us who've tended to like him over years will readily accept that he's been losing the plot a bit recently, especially with regard to your friend Ron.

Jazzy wrote:
    "eamonn dunphy is the marmite of football punditry"
    "eamonn dunphy is the Howard Stern of football"

no & no,
    The BS about being more famous for drinking in Lillies aside, how does the above really differ from Howard Stern's approach to DJing?

"Shock Jock"
    Oh, okay then. I bow to your vast and superior knowledge of the game.
    Perhaps he will still get ratings because he is entertaining and people of intelligence prefer to watch his punditry rather than the rest on Sky etc who just tell people what they already know. Watching all the United fans get their knickers in a twist over his soundbites provides good entertainment, too. Keep up the good work Eamonn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dunphy has always been a decent writer on non-football issues

That made me actually spit out my drink.
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, and I'm pretty sure I'm not, Jazzy is a staunch Liverpool fan :)

If I had the choice between watching somebody talk utter crap in order to get some attention, and listening to somebody tell me something I already know, I'd rather the latter.

Which explains how Jamie Redknapp still has a job!

PHB wrote:
    If I had the choice between watching somebody talk utter crap in order to get some attention, and listening to somebody tell me something I already know, I'd rather the latter.
    Which explains how Jamie Redknapp still has a job!

God i hate you now PHB

• Advertisement
Advertisement