Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is America gonna have a nuclear attack?

Options
  • 14-09-2006 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Dubai, 12 Sept. (AKI) - Osama bin Laden is planning to carry out new, more destructive attacks inside the United States, and there is someone working on this terror plot currently in the US, according to Hamid Mir, the famed Pakistani journalist who obtained the only post-9/11 interviews with Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahiri. In an interview quoted on the website of the al-Arabiya television network, Mir spoke about his last trip to Afghanistan and his meeting with al-Qaeda members and Taliban leaders.

In his interview with Al.Arabiya.net, Mir said that the al-Qaeda and Taliban fighters referred to attacks targeting the US-led coalition forces during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan which begins on 24 September, and that the al-Qaeda leader, Osama bin Laden was in "good" health during a meeting he had recently with the Taliban leader, Mullah Mohammed Omar.

Mir also said that bin Laden has assigned a man named Adnan Al-Shukri Juma to carry out a new attack within the US which is intended to be larger than the 11 September, 2001 attacks. According to Mir, Adnan Jumaa has smuggled explosives and nuclear materials into the US through the Mexican border over the last two years and is hiding somewhere in America where the FBI has not been able to locate him.

The Pakistani journalist also gave a brief background on Adnan Jumaa. Born in Saudi Arabia, he moved to the US where he met a group of a Al-Qaeda members in the Al-Farouq mosque in New York in 2000. He then traveled to an Arab state and from there to Pakistan then Afghanistan. He left there two years ago and since then has smuggled nuclear material from Mexico to the US. Jumaa has earned the nickname "Al-Qaeda nuclear whizz" and is tagged to play the same role in a future attack as Mohammed Atta did in the 9/11 attacks.

In March 2003 the FBI announced that it was seeking a link between Adnan and others accused of terroris, saying Adnan Jumaa "or maybe one of his several nicknames" had appeared in intelligence information gathered after the arrest of Khalid Sheik Mohammad.

Western media had reported in earlier times that Adnan Jumaa was a Saudi pilot, but the Saudi Ministry of Interior security spokesman lieutanent Mansour Al-Turki said in a statement to Al-Watan newspaper two months ago that Adnan Jumaa is not a Saudi citizen, he was living in the kingdom until he was eleven years old and left along with his parents, who are not Saudis, twenty years ago.

Adnan Al-Shukri's name has been mentioned in many Western media reports claiming that Al-Qaeda has acquired nuclear technology. The American writer, Paul Williams, in his book " The Al-Qaeda Connection: International Terrorism, Organized Crime, and the Coming Apocalypse", says he was among a number of Al-Qaeda members trained for the nuclear technology.

On another issue, Hamid Mir spoke to Alarabiya.net of his last trip to Afghanistan and his meeting with a leader of Taliban named "Khaibar" in Zabul who claimed that 300 Taliban suicide bombers had managed to sneak into Kabul and Jalalabad to carry out attacks against coalition troops during Ramadan.

Mir alleges that there was a meeting between Bin Laden and Mullah Omar several few weeks ago in the mountain area of Zabul where they planned more attacks, "I received this piece of information from one of the Taliban leaders who attended the meeting himself and I met him recently in Afghanistan" Mir said. "He told me that this was the second meeting between the two men since last year and that Bin Laden's health seemed good while he was eating with Mullah Mohammad Omar.

The Pakistani journalist expressed his surprise of the changing situation in Afghanistan; saying that the Taliban had come back to rule some areas and spread their special courts, their special administrations, nothing that even some police officials follow their orders.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Where did you cut and paste that drivel from?

A quick google I see two seperate stories naming the same "mastermind" one blaming AQ and the other blaming Iran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

One minute. It was on a show on America aswell supposed to be real deal the guy is now on most wanted.

http://www.adnki.com/index_2Level.php?cat=Terrorism&loid=8.0.338885348&par=0

Here is the guy

http://www.fbi.gov/terrorinfo/elshukrijumah.htm

Its total bull****. Heres more details on suitcase nukes.

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/g/a156a677-11b0-4be7-b84d-63b2a8b2c197

You can keep adding links if you want but if you bother to read the link I just posted you would see that the story itself it total BS. Suitcase nukes don't exist and if they did thier yield is so tiny that you would be better and easier to build explosives from easily obtainable goods. Add to that its a fact that AQ don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Al Qaeda doesn't even exist as an organisation, it's just a name and an ideology, like the Animal Liberation Front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Hobbes wrote:
    You can keep adding links if you want but if you bother to read the link I just posted you would see that the story itself it total BS. Suitcase nukes don't exist and if they did thier yield is so tiny that you would be better and easier to build explosives from easily obtainable goods. Add to that its a fact that AQ don't have them.

WTF?? Time of the month?

Im not saying it's true I just found it on a site so I thought I would put it here.

Im not saying AMERICA GONNA GET HIT WITH NUKE and to be honest I couldn't give a **** if it did happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I did think it was tempting fate for some Amercaisn to say at teh weekend "haha, we're winning, there's been no terrorist attacks on the (mainland) USA in the last 5 years".

Of course, that doesn't count nearly 3,000 dead soldiers.
    On another issue, Hamid Mir spoke to Alarabiya.net of his last trip to Afghanistan and his meeting with a leader of Taliban named "Khaibar" in Zabul who claimed that 300 Taliban suicide bombers had managed to sneak into Kabul and Jalalabad to carry out attacks against coalition troops during Ramadan.
    Isn't violence considered unacceptable during Ramadan?

Im not saying it's true I just found it on a site so I thought I would put it here.

Well please do a bit of research before posting drivel. Even a few minutes google told me straight away that the it was total crap. For example if a suitcase nuke existed its weight is around 60lbs, thats around 30 Kilograms. You would want to have some arms to walk around with that.

Also your not supposed to just cut and paste verbatim from other sites without an opinion added to it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭jmcc

Hobbes wrote:
    Well please do a bit of research before posting drivel. Even a few minutes google told me straight away that the it was total crap. For example if a suitcase nuke existed its weight is around 60lbs, thats around 30 Kilograms. You would want to have some arms to walk around with that.
    So a backback nuke would be a more accurate description. Though apparently these atomic munitions have existed for years.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    So a backback nuke would be a more accurate description. Though apparently these atomic munitions have existed for years.

Well the backpack nuke would be in the level of the Davy Crokett which is larger then a suitcase nuke (so would weigh more for starters). But the damage of a suitcase nuke (if they existed) would be in the range of 2-4 times the damage caused by the Oklamhoma city bombing. Hardly worth the hassle for the low level of damage.

You could get a better effect from dust explosions and they would nearly impossible to detect prior to explsion and very easy to set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'm sorry, for a moment there I thought I'd wandered into the conspiracy theories forum....carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭freddyfreeload

Is America gonna have a nuclear attack?

Undoubtedly. I just don't think they've quite made up their minds where their going to have it yet...

Eenie, Iranee, Koreaee, mo...

ff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hobbes wrote:
    Well the backpack nuke would be in the level of the Davy Crokett which is larger then a suitcase nuke (so would weigh more for starters).

23kg, including the propulsion bits, giving about a quarter kiloton of yield. That's 1950s technology, I'm sure they can do better now.

NTM

23kg, including the propulsion bits, giving about a quarter kiloton of yield. That's 1950s technology, I'm sure they can do better now.

NTM

Where are you getting the .25 kiloton yield on a backpack nuke? The Davy Crocket was 0.01 kiloton and that certainly wasn't a backpack nuke.

They might make the internals smaller but the overall radioactive material and lead would have to stay the same and that would take up the core weight of the device.

The only device that I can find that is even in the range of 1 kiloton weighs in at 68Kg. That one is only defined as "Backpack" because of its size.

NTM

Where are you getting the .25 kiloton yield on a backpack nuke of 23Kg? The Davy Crocket was 0.01 kiloton and that certainly wasn't a backpack nuke.

They might make the internals smaller but the overall radioactive material and lead would have to stay the same and that would take up the core weight of the device.

The only device that I can find that is even in the range of 1 kiloton weighs in at 68Kg. Its only clased as backpack due to its size.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Atomic_Demolition_Munition

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Victor wrote:
    I did think it was tempting fate for some Amercaisn to say at teh weekend "haha, we're winning, there's been no terrorist attacks on the (mainland) USA in the last 5 years".

After listening to Cheney say how there hasn't been an attack in the last 5 years due to their measures I was reminded of this Simpsons quote; I hereby enact Sleepy's Law:
    Homer: Ah, not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm!
    Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: Thank you, honey.
    Lisa: By your logic, I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away!
    Homer: Uh-huh, and how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around here, do you?
    Homer: (Looks around) Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock.

OT, I know, but that episode is actually a superb metaphor for what's happened to America since 11th September 2001; note the blame being pointed at immigration in both instances...

I think the UK statement of "it's not a matter of if an attack will happen, but when" is the fairest way to deal with the situation, it also means that when an attack does happen the Bush administration will be destroyed instantly while Blair and Co. will not.

Back on topic and this seems like rubbish; people tend to pick months at which attacks would bear great significance and build a case around that; anniversaries of past attacks, religious holy-days, dates referenced in Anti-Semetic texts etc. etc. If these terrorists were thinking they'd pick a completely irrelevant date when people let their guard down... I remember the hightened security on 11th September 2002 and I thought "if they do plan on making another attack, they'd probably be best served to do it on the 12th when everyone is patting each other on the back for a job well done"
    I find it hard to believe, for example, that this guy is on the US watchlist, with the FBI trying to build a case against him and yet he is still able to smuggle nuclear materials across the border... It's probably a plant to force Bush to tighten immigration policy and scare the US public into voting Red in the mid-term elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Dubai, 12 Sept. (AKI) - Osama bin Laden is planning to carry out new, more destructive attacks inside the United States....blah, blah blah

Who knows, who cares and if they do so what.
    Victor wrote:

Hve there been any terrorist attacks on the mainland USA in the last 5 years. Sounds like they are winning.
    Victor wrote:
    Of course, that doesn't count nearly 3,000 dead soldiers.

It's what soldiers are for.
    Victor wrote:
    Isn't violence considered unacceptable during Ramadan?

No it isn't. Warriors on Jihad are excused fasting during Ramadan so they can kill more people for Allah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Squaddy

Mick86 wrote:
    Hve there been any terrorist attacks on the mainland USA in the last 5 years. Sounds like they are winning.

Yes, months after 9/11 someone sent anthrax in a letter to two Democrats and several news outlets. 5 people were killed and 17 suffered with serious illness.

It's what soldiers are for.

What are they there for? For dying?

No it isn't. Warriors on Jihad are excused fasting during Ramadan so they can kill more people for Allah.

Where in the Qur'an does it say that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Hobbes wrote:
    Where are you getting the .25 kiloton yield on a backpack nuke of 23Kg? The Davy Crocket was 0.01 kiloton and that certainly wasn't a backpack nuke.

Initial Davy Crockett was 23kg and had a 10t equivalency. It was upgraded over the years, the later versions were a variable yield with 20t at the bottom end of the dial.

http://www.brook.edu/FP/projects/nucwcost/davyc.HTM
    http://www.guntruck.com/DavyCrockett.html

I don't have anything more official to hand right now.

NTM

WTF?? Time of the month?

Im not saying AMERICA GONNA GET HIT WITH NUKE and to be honest I couldn't give a **** if it did happen.
    2nd ban for you
    1 month this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Squaddy wrote:
    Yes, months after 9/11 someone sent anthrax in a letter to two Democrats and several news outlets. 5 people were killed and 17 suffered with serious illness.

You got me there but compared to 9/11 sending anthrax in teh post isn't up to much.
    Squaddy wrote:
    What are they there for? For dying?

Fighting. Dying is part of the parcel.
    Squaddy wrote:
    Where in the Qur'an does it say that?

I have never read the Koran but;

http://www.alazhr.org/islamicpillars/Chapter4-4.htm

(c) It is also preferable to break the fast when the warriors approach the enemy.

"Abu Sa'id" reported: "We traveled in the company of the Prophet to Mecca, We were fasting and we approached Mecca" The Prophet told us:

"You have neared your enemy and it will give you more strength if you break the fast".

(d) If a clash with the enemy is certain, then breaking the fast is imperative.

Abu Sa'id, continuing his previous report, said: "Then we came closer to Mecca". The Prophet told us: "Tomorrow you will meet your enemy; therefore break the fast". And we did so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

flogen wrote:
    Back on topic and this seems like rubbish; people tend to pick months at which attacks would bear great significance and build a case around that; anniversaries of past attacks, religious holy-days, dates referenced in Anti-Semetic texts etc. etc. If these terrorists were thinking they'd pick a completely irrelevant date when people let their guard down...

Indeedy.

These people are called terrorists for a reason - their aim is to inflict terror - to influence by basically pushing the populace around.

I saw a blog entry shortoly before the 5-year anniversary where the author reckoned that an interview with OBL would have gone like this:

Interviewer: Mr. Bin Laden, what do you have to say about these allegations that you're planning an encore for the 5th anniversary of 911.

OBL: Are you nuts? What would I waste my time doing that for. The western media have already planned a better encore than I could ever manage. They're going to spend weeks reminding everyone how bad it was 5 years ago, and why they should be scared of me. Then the various governments will step up security on every gathering in places like Nowheresville to remind everyone that I could strike anywhere, anytime. I'll save my encore for when its needed - for when people start getting over 911. But while the media and government do my work for me and keep the people scared...I'll just sit here and laugh. Ha ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Hogmeister B

bonkey wrote:
    Indeedy.

These people are called terrorists for a reason - their aim is to inflict terror - to influence by basically pushing the populace around.

I saw a blog entry shortoly before the 5-year anniversary where the author reckoned that an interview with OBL would have gone like this:

Interviewer: Mr. Bin Laden, what do you have to say about these allegations that you're planning an encore for the 5th anniversary of 911.

OBL: Are you nuts? What would I waste my time doing that for. The western media have already planned a better encore than I could ever manage. They're going to spend weeks reminding everyone how bad it was 5 years ago, and why they should be scared of me. Then the various governments will step up security on every gathering in places like Nowheresville to remind everyone that I could strike anywhere, anytime. I'll save my encore for when its needed - for when people start getting over 911. But while the media and government do my work for me and keep the people scared...I'll just sit here and laugh. Ha ha ha.

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Mick86 wrote:
    You got me there but compared to 9/11 sending anthrax in teh post isn't up to much.

Is the some lower-threshold that must be crossed before an act becomes terrorism? How many dead? How many injured? How much disruption?

Mick86 wrote:

Except that people died from it, or that it was found it was US military grade anthrax taken from a protected US military base and the investigation of the whole thing disappeared off the radar completly.

The fact that at least one of the letters was sent a day or so before 9/11 and tied in with what was going on as super concidence seems to be lost on the media.

Advertisement