Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stinky Extraction Fan

Options
  • 14-09-2006 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

Anybody else having a problem with stinky smells coming down their extractor fan and into the kitchen.? I've tried everything from boiling bleached water up the fan to just running the fan for 15 minutes.

Any ideas?

Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The filter may need replacement?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

you've tried "everything" eh? Boiling bleach.....?:confused: and "switching it on for a bit"?
    Have you read the section of the manual regarding maintenance?

Honestly, I don't know how some people survive beyond their teens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

IT Loser wrote:
    Anybody else having a problem with stinky smells coming down their extractor fan and into the kitchen.? I've tried everything from boiling bleached water up the fan to just running the fan for 15 minutes.

Any ideas?

Ta.

Quite a few cases around here of bathroom smells caused by the extraction pipe either being kinked or in some cases not even going out of the attic. Don't know if you're in a new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

God! Those houses always seem to have problems. In work we useta run the tap because there was a terrible smell coming through the extractor fan. Don't have a clue how it worked out. You should get somebody out there to check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Sleipnir wrote:
    you've tried "everything" eh? Boiling bleach.....?:confused: and "switching it on for a bit"?
    Have you read the section of the manual regarding maintenance?

Honestly, I don't know how some people survive beyond their teens...

Never got a manual...

[snip]

PS steam containing bleach is a tremendous antiseptic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Marcais wrote:
    Quite a few cases around here of bathroom smells caused by the extraction pipe either being kinked or in some cases not even going out of the attic. Don't know if you're in a new house.

Yeah, even superficially its obvious that NO work worthy of the name was done on the finishing aspect of the apartment, The painting is patchy and the walls aren't even square! WOuldn't surprise me if the extractor loop was kinked or buckled in some way.

Running the fan does the trick, but returning to the kitchen in July could be quite a trip if the apt had been empty for the day.

TA.

Advertisement