Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

K800i flightmode - doesn't work without a sim

• 14-09-2006 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a SE K800i? I was using one today and flight mode doesn't work without a sim card in the phone?

I found this a bit odd - was it just the phone I was using or do others have this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Yep mine is the same, but why would you be using a phone with no sim card in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Why not PhoenixRising? Any other phones with Flight Mode allow you to use it without the SIM. One thing it would be handy for would be accessing content to bluetooth it to a new/other phone.

Oh, and it being flight mode ... requiring a SIM is just wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

ciaranfo wrote:
    Why not PhoenixRising? Any other phones with Flight Mode allow you to use it without the SIM. One thing it would be handy for would be accessing content to bluetooth it to a new/other phone.

Oh, and it being flight mode ... requiring a SIM is just wrong!

I guess. Don't lose any sleep over it though..:)

It's all the little things which add up to making someone not want the phone. The shutter at the back - why couldn't it be like the W800i? It just makes the phone more bulky than it needs to be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm not a fan of the shutter either tbh. it does make the phone more bulky and it also feels a lot flimsier (if that's a word) than say the k750i or w800i

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I fail to really see the reasoning behind requiring a sim to use flightmode....bit strange

HavoK wrote:
    I fail to really see the reasoning behind requiring a sim to use flightmode....bit strange
    Someone agrees with me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's called flightmode, so generally your using your phone, you board a plane, knock it off, use the mp3 player, get to your destination, disembark, switch your phone back on and make calls. Why would you be using it without a sim?

This was not written in a smart way ( and that wasnt sarcasm, i'm going to leave it at that or this could become an essay of explanations)

IT SHOULD WORK! OTHERS DO. IT'S BETTER. IT'S NOT HARD TO IMPLEMENT. CASE CLOSED!

... or something ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Stekelly wrote:
    It's called flightmode, so generally your using your phone, you board a plane, knock it off, use the mp3 player, get to your destination, disembark, switch your phone back on and make calls. Why would you be using it without a sim?

This was not written in a smart way ( and that wasnt sarcasm, i'm going to leave it at that or this could become an essay of explanations)

Well in Flightmode, its also handy on most phones to be able to transfer data from an old phone to a new one, or use an older phone that you dont have a sim for as a music player, movie player, game player, etc. I used a 6630 for a long time as a multimedia device as I had no spare sim for it, was very handy.

Nearly every phone that has flightmode works as such without a sim - seems strange the SE does not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

all flightmode means is that it doesn't transmit anything so it can be used on a plane. it says nothing about requiring a sim or not

a sim isn't required in theory to run in flight mode but generally there's no harm in having one in and it would require rewriting the firmware. maybe they just didn't bother

I know what flightmode is - but thanks ;)

As for rewriting the firmware .... I doubt it, I might email SE and see what they say.

I personally see it as a flaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ns06

I agree!

Flight mode shouldn't need a sim. I wanted to use the phone to send pictures to my pc via bluetooth, while using my other phone to make a call.

Yeah, it's pretty much not gonna happen all the time, but like mentioned, since it's on most other handsets why not implement it just like the other manufacturers!?

Anyways, some people don't mind, some people (like me) do! My 2c ;)

Advertisement