Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know about Toastmasters in Waterford?

Options
  • 14-09-2006 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Anyone ever go to toastmasters in Waterford?
    Would you recommend it as a way to meet people?:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Which?

I've never heard of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

They had an ad in one of the local papers last week calling for new members, so it look like now would be a good time to join. Not a member myself but have heard very good things about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ammobear

c - 13 wrote:
    They had an ad in one of the local papers last week calling for new members, so it look like now would be a good time to join. Not a member myself but have heard very good things about them.

Yeah, it wasnt on during the summer, but started back last monday.
    Its on mondays in the tower, not every week tho'
    might be every second one...
    sounds like it might be fun
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Star*

I have seen this many times in the news papers = still not quite sure what they do - can you enlighten me ?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I think they make speeches or something, not sure though.

• Advertisement

From their site its all about learning to speak to groups.
    You make speeches on different topics, but not straightaway. You can just observe 4 the first few nights
    You can check out their site here
    Thats the US site, but I think it will be more or less the same...

I've never been and all I know about it is what I've seen on the web..

If anyone has been to any Toastmasters meeting, could they let me know (doesnt have to be Waterford) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Speaker

Yes - Toastmasters is a great place to meet a wide variety of people. I got involved to improve my job interview technique, intending being involved for about a year but 10 years on I'm still involved - the reason I meet great people.
    There are two Toastmaster clubs in Waterford City. Waterford Toastmasters meet in the Tower Hotel on the 2nd & 4th Mondays at 8pm. DLS Toastmasters meet in Waterford Crystal Sports complex on the 1st, 3rd & 5th Tuesdays at 8pm.
    There is a club in Tramore and another in Dungarvan. There are 80 Toastmaster clubs in Ireland with about 2,500 members and nearly 11,000 clubs in 90 countries world-wide.
    The best way to find a club in your area is to logon to www.d71.org where you will find maps to clubs. Give it a try - it is worth 2 hours of your life to see what a meeting is like.
    If there is no Toastmaster club in your area - set one up, it's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭crazydude

I am not a good speaker but have thought about going along to a meeting to see how it works.

A good debate is better than the Simpsons any day.:D

The vast majority of those who join are not good when they start off. The beauty of it is that you work from a short 10 project manual which shows you how to do it. Each of the 10 projects deals with a different skill – how to put a speech together, to get to the point, gestures, voice and words. The last two projects deal with persuading and inspiring.
    This is all done in what we call a “mutually supportive environment”. The best way to see this is to hear a feedback session which is part of every meeting. In this the speaker gets feedback where we point out the positives and identify one or two areas for improvement.
    As I said earlier I got involved from a job point of view and I’ve found the feedback sessions taught me how to give and take feedback without crushing the individual or being crushed in turn.
    In truth, apart from the craic the skills we learn in Toastmasters are real life skills.

Thats great info. Thanks.

WIll defo go to the next meeting

It's next monday at 8pm in the tower?
    How many usually go? :)

• Advertisement

Yes - next Monday is the next meeting in the Tower Hotel.
    Usually about 20 people turn up.
    Try to make it for a quarter to 8 to settle in before the meeting start.
    Ask for Fiona - I've spoken to her and she will keep an eye out for you.
    Good luck with it - enjoy - and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I am resurrecting this thread here to ask if Toastmasters cater for people who completely fear the idea of public speaking but need to progress same in order to "move up the ladder"?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes

I'm a member of Toastmasters. The simple explanation of what we do is "public speaking" - but its much more.

For me joining toastmasters has been amazing. Its given me skills in communications, listening, organisation of events, chairing meeting, the ability to develop humour. Its helped to build my personal confidence.

I would highly reccomend it to everyone.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mozattack wrote: »
    I am resurrecting this thread here to ask if Toastmasters cater for people who completely fear the idea of public speaking but need to progress same in order to "move up the ladder"?

Yes absolutely.

In my club there was a woman who burst into tears giving one of her first speeches but because the memvers supported and encouraged her she evebtually did many more speeches.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

^ first post reasonably funny, second post just plain odd

Advertisement