Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ntl modem - how many ports

Options
  • 14-09-2006 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello!
    I'm trying to set up VoIP with ntl broadband and was wondering how many ports there are on the ntl cable modem. The friendly dufus at the ntl hotline was totally ignorant of the situation. (He tried at length to explain that the Internet connection had nothing to do with the phone line!!!:p Exactly! I said. It didn't go well.) I really want to set it all up while the technician is on hand week after next and need to know whether I'll need an ethernet hub. Can anyone provide information (dare I ask for a picture or device name?) on the ports on the ntl modem?
    Thanks a mil in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

1 ethernet and 1 usb.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL comes with one ethernet and one usb.

If you want to connect multiple pcs or VOIP equipment, then you will need a broadband router. If you are interested in VOIP, then it would be a good idea to get a broadband router with VOIP abilities and standrad telephone ports like this model:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=321893

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 georgiabrown

Thanks for the info! Is the router you recommend instead of or in addition to the ATA? I don't need wireless (don't want wireless, actually, hence the dLAN), so presumably the other d-link device would do me. But with only one Ethernet port on the modem, can I link it to both the dLAN Ethernet adapter and the router?

Upstairs:
    cable point - modem - Ethernet adapter (socket)
    |
    Router - Siemens phone

Downstairs:
    iMac - Ethernet adapter (socket) and therefore Internet?

Trying to make sense of it all...

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Thanks for the info! Is the router you recommend instead of or in addition to the ATA?
    Instead of.
    But with only one Ethernet port on the modem, can I link it to both the dLAN Ethernet adapter and the router?

Upstairs:
    cable point - modem - Ethernet adapter (socket)
    |
    Router - Siemens phone

Downstairs:
    iMac - Ethernet adapter (socket) and therefore Internet?
    The ethernet adapter will plug into the router, not the modem. All of your network traffic will pass through the router.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks for the info! Is the router you recommend instead of or in addition to the ATA?

Instead of, it is an ATA. However if you already have an ATA, then you can buy just a broadband router (without the VOIP functionality) and plug the ATA into it.
    I don't need wireless (don't want wireless, actually, hence the dLAN), so presumably the other d-link device would do me.

You can get broadband routers both with and without wireless. Personally I'd get the one iwth the wireless even if you don't plan on using it, the price difference is very small and you'd never know when it might become handy in the future, increasingly a lot of electronics are using wireless (Nintendo DS, Wii, Xbox 360, Sony PSP, Microsoft Zune, etc.)

BTW you can disable the wireless element if you are not using it.
    But with only one Ethernet port on the modem, can I link it to both the dLAN Ethernet adapter and the router?

I'm not quite sure what you mean, this would be the normal setup:

cable point --> NTL modem [1]--> Brodband Router (with ATA) [2]--> PC / Telephone

Where [1] is an ethernet cable and
    [2] is 3 or 4 RJ45 computer network ports connecting ethernet cable to one to many PC's and two RJ11 telephone ports to one or two standard telephones.

The ethernet cables can reach long distances all over your house, if you like, so upstairs/downstairs would be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement