Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Forwarding

Options
  • 14-09-2006 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

does anybody know how to forward ports for smart telecom for torrent downloading

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

i've tried that and i get an error message

plus the fact i'm using a wireless router

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to net/comms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

paconnors wrote:
    i've tried that and i get an error message

plus the fact i'm using a wireless router

1) What wireless router are you using?
    2) Are you using a wireless router in addition to the AoLynk router that Smart provide, or instead of it?
    3) If you are using 2 routers (the Aolynk and the nameless wireless router), have you put the Aolynk in bridged mode?

(I'm numbering the questions because some people like to pick and choose which questions they answer. It's not a pick and mix - answer them all).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

can we get some port forward sticky up?

It's one of the most commonly aksed questions between here and broadband it's getting just a tad annoying! just a _tad_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Dont want to hi-jack Paconnors thread but dont want to start another one, so maybe when he gets his answer someone could answer mine

Got my old Linksys Wrt54G setup for portforwarding from Portforwarding.com, worked a treat. But this time I have EsatBT's Zyxel 660HW-D1 wireless jobby and PF.com dont list it. Have gone into the Nat section of this router and done what I thought needed doing but still gettting a "Nat error" in Azureus using port 50000. Have included some pics, not running any firewall on the pc while doing the port test so I presume it can only be the router. Just to say I have done all the usall and given the pc a static IP.Also just to add on my old Linksys in the portforwarding section of it you could specify if it was for TCP or UDP, so I always did one for each. But in the Zyxel it does not give you that option so I presume it automaticaly does it for both?

Thanks Cubix

Foxwood wrote:
    2) Are you using a wireless router in addition to the AoLynk router that Smart provide, or instead of it?
    3) If you are using 2 routers (the Aolynk and the nameless wireless router), have you put the Aolynk in bridged mode?

(I'm numbering the questions because some people like to pick and choose which questions they answer. It's not a pick and mix - answer them all).

in reply to the first question its a dlink di-524 router

cubix wrote:
    I have EsatBT's Zyxel 660HW-D1 wireless jobby and PF.com dont list it. Have gone into the Nat section of this router and done what I thought needed doing but still gettting a "Nat error" in Azureus using port 50000.
    Have you tried using uTorrent and enabing UPnP on the Zyxel?

If not, you'll also have to configure the firewall on the ZyXEL to allow your BT packets in - just creating a port-forwarding isn't sufficient, because the firelaals default action is to drop inbound packets unless there is a firewal rule to over-ride that action.

Foxwood wrote:

i'm using the aolynk ti connect to the di-524 so i can have wireless, and as far as i can remember i havent bridged the connections

paconnors wrote:
    i'm using the aolynk ti connect to the di-524 so i can have wireless, and as far as i can remember i havent bridged the connections
    That would explain the problems portforwarding - your inbound packets have to traverse both routers to get to your PC.

Follow the link at the end of the Wireless FAQ for directions on bridging the Aolynk.

Then configure the DI-524 to start the PPPoE session with your Smart username and password.

And then configure the portforwarding on the DI-524. (Or do what I do with my DI-524 - just use UPnP in uTorrent, and allow it to configure the DI-524 for me).

• Advertisement

Ok Foxwood will give UTorrent a try, with UT is it just a case of opening ports and ticking "enable UpnP to pass through firewall" button.

Regarding the firewall rules for Azureus to work, can you look at the pic's and maybe point me in the right direction please

Thanks Cubix

cubix wrote:
    Ok Foxwood will give UTorrent a try, with UT is it just a case of opening ports and ticking "enable UpnP to pass through firewall" button.

Regarding the firewall rules for Azureus to work, can you look at the pic's and maybe point me in the right direction please

I'm not trying to fob you off, but I'm hesitant to recommend changes in a firewall configuration without actually going through the steps myself - I've only read the manual.

So as a first step, I'd suggest enabling UPnP and trying uTorrent. Check that it's configured for UPnP (Options/Preferences/Connection), and then enable UPnP on the ZyXEL. The Manual isn't all that helpful about whether you need to check one of the two "sub options", but I'd try it without checking them first, and then just checking the "Allow Users" sub-option.

If you want to try configuring the firewall (because some people will throw up their hands in horror at the idea of enabing UPnP on a firewall) then the manual has a very good description of how to create a new "service" and how to add a rule to the firewall ruleset to allow traffic matching that rule through.

Or you could do what some people recommend, and turn the firewall off altogether. That would seem a shame though - if the firewall is as good as the manual describes it, it's a pretty impressive bit of kit.

Cheers FW will give it a shot, that first option on UPnp where it says something like "allow other user to change your config through UPnp" is this a good thing to have ticked?

Cubix

cubix wrote:
    Cheers FW will give it a shot, that first option on UPnp where it says something like "allow other user to change your config through UPnp" is this a good thing to have ticked?
    It doesn't say "other user". It says that a device on the LAN can use Windows XP UPnP to configure the firewall (rather than using the web interface), but you'd still need the ZyXEL password. So I don't think you need to have that checked, but if it doesn't work without that checked, try checking it. As I said, I'm only readying the manual, so I can't test any of this myself.

Ok cool, will take those pointers also and have a look at the manual on the cd

Cubix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

Cheers J;)

Advertisement