Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MP3 & stereo link up!?

Options
  • 14-09-2006 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I have a '97 Audi A3, its got the original standard stereo installed and I'd be keen not to replace this but I was wondering if you can somehow get an MP3 connection going into it. It has a tape deck but I don't want to use one of those cr@ppy tape deck adaptors as the sound quality is rubbish. Anyone know if this is possible or how much it cost?
    p.s. I have a Creative Zen MP3 player.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

An I-trip (or similar) is the obvious method. Plug it into the headphone socket on your MP3 player and it broadcasts on FM frequency for short distance and you pick it up on your car radio. Downside is that its technically illegal at the moment.

Alternative is to change the head unit on the car, install an MP3 CD Player (similar to those on sale on adverts.ie ;) ) but you've already mentioned that you prefer not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Out of intrest why would you not just change it over? Blaupunkt are doing a good deal on an mp3 head unit where they will give you €60 off it if ya trade in an old unit no matter how old it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I have an A3 myself.

When I bought it it also had the standard Blaupunkt tape deck headunit which its worth noting is rubbish. I have since got a Alpine CDA 9852RR which is a middle of the range unit. It matches the red dash illumination perfectly and the sound even through the standard speakers is a quantum leap from the Blaupunkt.

No matter what way you eventually hook up an mp3 player to that stereo is going to be crap. Getting a decent headunit will make the mp3s sound better and make your life alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

i got a cable for my blaupunkt set which connects at the back of the set and ends in a standard 3.5 stereo jack. it plugs straight into my ipod and the sound is perfect. the audi sets are generally made by blaupunkt so one of these might do the trick for you. the part number is 7 607 897 093.

Advertisement