Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop from Dubai/Seychelles

• 14-09-2006 10:52pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have relatives travelling to Seychelles and stopping off in Dubai on the way back and they mentioned to me that they could pick up a laptop for me while over there if I was interested...

I'm just wondering if it would be worth my while to get something either from the country or even via duty free; I'd be thinking of a macbook or mbpro.

Does anyone know what kind of price they go for over there and what kind of savings you'd make with Duty Free? Is there any way I can find out before they travel over so I can see if I can afford it??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

id say go for dubai. seychelles is a small island (well many really) and they dont have a huge market for laptops, so dont import a lot (small population, 3rd world[or developing - im not being political or trying to undermine this lovely tropical destionation] country etc etc). you wont get much of a choice in seychelles if im not mistaken.

as for dubai, do they sell apple things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There are many things you have to be aware of before buying outside of Ireland (and the UK for that matter).

Firstly, what language will Windows be in? I don't know how good your Arabic is, but I sure as hell wouldn't be any good at it :)

Secondly, keyboard layout - is it English/US? Or Arabic?

Thirdly, are you willing to take the risk on a warranty? What happens if the laptop is DOA? Or develops a fault down the road?

Power should be fine, as 99.9% of laptops come with dual supplies these days.

You most likely will pick up a bargain, but just be aware of the above items before you commit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Friend of mine got a laptop via Dubai as a present. Has english characters on keyboard as well as arabic. A lil confusing at first glance but apart from that it seems grand. It's a HP model btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Thanks for all the tips etc.
    I can deal with arabic characters on the keyboard once the english ones are present too.
    Does anyone know if you can get Apple in Dubai (I saw something on a google search about an apple store being opened there, not sure if it happened or not) and if so what kind of price difference is there with duty free?
    In general how much do you tend to save comparing the Irish price to the Dubai Duty Free price (perhaps in percentage)??

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Don't buy in Dubai airport (i.e. if you are just taking a connecting flight). The airport is not really cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Don't buy in Dubai airport (i.e. if you are just taking a connecting flight). The airport is not really cheaper.

I thought that aswell.

Check that it has an international warranty.

Advertisement