Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireball over Dublin

Options
  • 15-09-2006 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

About 11:50pm,saw a fireball over the Dublin skies with a trail and then broke up into smaller fragments.Very red and orange in color.Spectacular as i was outside havin a smoke when observed and lucky to see it.It went East to West.
    Anybody else see this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

didnt see the one over Dublin last night, but did see a fireball in Cork about 4 years ago. It was very impressive! I thought it was a plane on fire!! I rang AI later that morn and gave them the details. They said it was rare enough to see one, so you (and I) are luck Snowbie! congrats.....

....keep watching the skies!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

seen one in cork as well a few years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I saw one over Dublin August, mentioned in one of the other threads here. Another poster saw it too. There was another seen since that, that was posted in here too. So this makes it at least 3 in the past 6 weeks or so. There were probably others too. I saw a fabulous meteor earlier this week. So the advice would be, keep looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yeah Flukey,i prob was one of those posters.But the one i saw last evening was really amazing.It broke up like a firework falling back down to Earth.I missed the entry point into the atmosphere but watched it travel across the sky and gradually pick up speed till it broke up and burned up.No sound from it though.Lasted about 3 seconds across the sky with trail about a good 20 seconds untill it faded.It was one of those goosebumps moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

That is one thing about meteors. It is always strange to see one and not to hear a single sound. They are so dramatic to see that your instinct is to expect to hear some dramatic noise as it whizzes past, like a firework, but you don't. Of course they are often nothing more than a grain of dirt, burning up dramatically, so we would not expect to hear a sound. That fireball was the first one I ever saw. Of course even with meteors, you could have one passing behind you or out of your line of vision, or above the clouds. They are out there every night, but you have to be looking in the right place at the right time to see them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement