Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's Center Point...?

Options
  • 15-09-2006 12:56am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was talking about this with a few mates the other day and we could not agree on were the Center point of Dublin City Center is.Some said the Spire /Spike others O'Connell bridge and one even said Collage Green.

So were do you consider to be the Center Point of Dublin...?

Dublin's Center Point...? 39 votes

Spire /Spike
    0%
    O'Connell Bridge
    28%
    gurramokZhaneDowAlkersemeraldstarArcheronPadwickdr zoidbergraheny redadmiralofthefleetB0X 11 votes
    Collage Green
    46%
    StarkFlukeyBlistermanPullMyFinger!Guy:IncognitoBendiBusJoeSchmoeirlirishkev[Deleted User]cashbackmikemacsqurmlostexpectationmisty floydeuropersonPinesMagic Pipsmusiknonstop 18 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    25%
    CrashdRNk SAnTACaptain Trips_blank_LinkumamboJaysusMacfeckJellonotjimestilos 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Collage Green
    I've always considered O'Connell bridge to be the centre of Dublin. I can't really give a great reason I'm afraid. I've just always seen it that way. Maybe it's because it's where Virgin Megastore was located, and I spent so much time there when I was younger :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Scratchface

All the milestones around Dublin, which give the distance from the stone to the city centre, are measured to the front door of the G.P.O. So I imagine that would be the centre of Dublin. The O.P.W. might have something on their website to confirm it.

Collage Green
    Wouldn't the actual centre be much further west? Saying that, I'd follow the bandwagon to say that O'Connell Street/Bridge would be the centre of Dublin, mainly due to O'Connell Bridge being (give or take) in the middle between the beginning of Grafton Street and the beginning of Henry Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Atari Jaguar
    GPO.

You sometimes see old signs on roads leading into town with some numbers on them, steel signs in walls.

They give the distance, in miles, to the GPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Collage Green
    Measurements are done to the GPO as a key point in the city. Personally I always think in terms of O'Connell Bridge being the centre. Of course it is very hard to be accurate about it in geographical terms. It would be further west and not on the course of the Liffey either.

By the way, it is College Green, not Collage Green, despite its variety of everything. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

O'Connell Bridge
    The GPO is officially the centre of dublin.

***does anybody know that there are two O' Connell bridges in Dublin.

we all know where one is but can anybody name the location of the other, it was called O' Connell bridge long before the one that spans the liffey.

its in the city centre as well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'd say the actualy centre is much further up the liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

admiralgar wrote:

***does anybody know that there are two O' Connell bridges in Dublin.

we all know where one is but can anybody name the location of the other, it was called O' Connell bridge long before the one that spans the liffey.

its in the city centre as well
    St Stephen's green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Central Bank

Shwerrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

St Stephen's green?

i heard that too but i think its an urban legend.that said there is meant to be a second oconnell bridge so....

in regards to the OP i always saw oconnell street as the city center circa the GPO so i suppose i'd have to say the spire now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Collage Green
    My girlfriend reckons the GPO. Like a previous poster said, all mileage references to Dublin are measured to there.

Apparantly, Post Offices mark the centre of any town in Ireland. Original post offices in the town that is..

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Atari Jaguar
    I think College Green is the nicest central area in Dub. O'Connel Bridge is a bit wind swept

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Atari Jaguar
    Thanks to a lot of time spent southside city centre when I was younger, its College Green. especially seeing as i'm in college there too.

Dunno why tbh, despite spending a lot of time northside and working there etc. I've never re-adjusted to the gpo as centre of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

O'Connell Bridge
    the little bridge over the pond in stephens green is called o'connell bridge.
    its not an urban legend, the brits called it this because the bridge that spans the liffey was called 'Carlisle Bridge' and daniel o' connell kicked up a fuss so to make him happy the brits called the tiny bridge in stephens green o'connell bridge.
    read hidden dublin in the herald on saturdays

Advertisement