Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice appreciated: N80 V K800i

• 15-09-2006 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

I think I'm gonna treat myself to a new phone this weekend. I wanna get something with good functionality, and both the Nokia N80 and SE K800i are available on 3.

I was originally just looking at the N80, because it looks like it is feature-packed. Some websites mentioned the k800i in the same sentence, so I checked it on 3, and found it's almost half the price of the N80. Both cameras are similar, but does the N80 have a lot more features in general?

I'd appreciate advice on which phone is better and why, and if the N80 contains a lot more features, is it really worth €130 more?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I don't know much anything about the K800i but the N80 has Wifi support and has Nokia's excellent web browser so you can connect to the internet in hotspots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

6ix wrote:
    I think I'm gonna treat myself to a new phone this weekend. I wanna get something with good functionality, and both the Nokia N80 and SE K800i are available on 3.

I was originally just looking at the N80, because it looks like it is feature-packed. Some websites mentioned the k800i in the same sentence, so I checked it on 3, and found it's almost half the price of the N80. Both cameras are similar, but does the N80 have a lot more features in general?

I'd appreciate advice on which phone is better and why, and if the N80 contains a lot more features, is it really worth €130 more?

K800i Advantages:
    Better camera, with auto focus and true flash

N80 Advantages:
    True smartphone running Symbian
    High resolution screen
    Great web browser
    WiFi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

One thing I found out about the N80 when I was about to buy it was that it does not have an Airplane mode. In other words, you can't have the unit switched on and the phone switched off, so you can't use the mp3/video player/games/whatever on an airplane.

This was what swayed me against it (me who takes a whole 2 flights a year :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

tom dunne wrote:
    One thing I found out about the N80 when I was about to buy it was that it does not have an Airplane mode. In other words, you can't have the unit switched on and the phone switched off, so you can't use the mp3/video player/games/whatever on an airplane.

This was what swayed me against it (me who takes a whole 2 flights a year :D).

I did have an N80 for a while and am 90% sure you can start it in offline mode, I certainly had it on without a sim card in it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hmmm, I read it on more than one review - I'll see if I can dig out the links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

you can have offline mode but i don't think you can turn wifi off.
    Not sure do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

I'd say if you want a smartphone with wi-fi and a good camera, the n80 seems like a solid choice. but if you care more about a brilliant camera get the k800i http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=global&lc=en&ver=4001&template=pp1_1_1&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10407;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Yeah I've pretty much settled on the N80, cheers for the advice. Just went to CPW to get it, with my ID and utility bill but I also need my most recent Meteor bill, which I dont have.

Ah the disappointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

what so you cant get it now, or you just have to get your bill first and wait a little while? I hope you like the n80 and maybe you'll write a small review.

I'm moving to 3, so If I want to keep my number I have to bring in my last bill. Don't know when my bill is sent out, and it's not even sent out to my current address so I'm not sure when I'll get it.

It's a bit annoying when you're looking forward to something!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭dubal

before u got to CPW, check the online direct price at www.three.ie ... big diff

I had been assuming that if I was going with 3, the CPW price would be the same as what 3 offered. What is the CPW price? Last time I got a Meteor phone, the prices were the same in CPW as Meteor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭dubal

6ix wrote:
    I had been assuming that if I was going with 3, the CPW price would be the same as what 3 offered. What is the CPW price? Last time I got a Meteor phone, the prices were the same in CPW as Meteor...

another thing... its €495 here http://www.onedaymobile.ie/#2056X0 Sim free

Advertisement