Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old Starlet/Corolla Specs

Options
  • 15-09-2006 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the Irish spec Starlets (EP91 1996-1999) came with? From what I can see there was only an XLi model available here, and as some may know Toyota use completely different trim levels in the UK so it's a pain in the hole trying to find from the interweb what was for sale here.

Did the ones here even have power steering? I know the previous model (EP82 1990-1996) didn't.

And with the EE101 Corolla (1992-1997?), was it only the XLi "Plus" ones that got central locking? And when did they get airbags?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Did the ones here even have power steering? I know the previous model (EP82 1990-1996) didn't.
    I know of a '95 Starlet that had power steering - I remember that it was unusual at the time. Only a few had it.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone know what the Irish spec Starlets (EP91 1996-1999) came with? From what I can see there was only an XLi model available here, and as some may know Toyota use completely different trim levels in the UK so it's a pain in the hole trying to find from the interweb what was for sale here.

And with the EE101 Corolla (1992-1997?), was it only the XLi "Plus" ones that got central locking? And when did they get airbags?

The 1996 - 1999 Starlet was only available in 1.3 XLi trim and it had power steering afaik.

I think the Corolla didn't get central locking as standard until around 1996. There was a special edition of the Corolla 3dr/5dr hatchback in 1995 called the "Carese" which had central locking, driver's airbag, unique colours and interior trim alright.

Just to confuse things further there was also a Corolla Liftback available in the UK at the time which was slightly larger than the Corolla hatchback, it was sold in Ireland for a limited time called the Sprinter. They were higher speced than the standard Corolla.

The Corolla XLi Plus was a run out model in early 1997 and had central locking, driver's air bag and speedo/rev counter with red dials and white background.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Ah, thanks for that.

Yeah I knew about the Corolla/Sprinter liftbacks (they're based on the Japanese Sprinter but surprisingly were never sold in Japan) - must be a good few UK imports around as I see varying names on them (Corolla "Executive", Sprinter, etc.) - what engines did they get here? I always assumed they were 1.5 or 1.6...

Also, did any of these (Corolla/Starlet) have split fold rear seats or any other features? I know the Corolla saloon didn't have folding rear seats at all, which seemed pretty lame since even the older Mazda 323s did.

JamesM: You sure that Starlet wasn't an import? The Japanese ones had better engines too - the 1.3's there got 16v EFI in 1991, whereas they still had caburettors until the Mk. 5 in 1996 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

JamesM: You sure that Starlet wasn't an import? The Japanese ones had better engines too - the 1.3's there got 16v EFI in 1991, whereas they still had caburettors until the Mk. 5 in 1996 here.
    Brand new from Carrol & Kinsella - I know where it is - I must have a look at the model - just out of interest.
    Jim

I have been looking after some paperwork for the person who owns the Starlet - just found a service invoice from Carroll & Kinsella
    Reg: 95D16***
    Model: Starlet 1.3 5 Door

She definately bought it because it had power steering.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The Starlet didn't have standard PS until the late 98 run out model. It was the entire options list along with metallic paint IIRC.

The Sprinter was a great car, the aunt had one for a few months in the mid 90s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah, thanks for that.

Yeah I knew about the Corolla/Sprinter liftbacks (they're based on the Japanese Sprinter but surprisingly were never sold in Japan) - must be a good few UK imports around as I see varying names on them (Corolla "Executive", Sprinter, etc.) - what engines did they get here? I always assumed they were 1.5 or 1.6...

The Sprinter was sold in Japan as the Corolla Sprinter or something from the 1980s right up to the mid 1990s. A neighbour had a 93 diesel Sprinter Jap import a few years ago. They were 1.5 litre petrol and 2.0 diesel.

The Sprinter liftback sold here had 1.3 litre and 1.6 litre engines I think. UK imports were called the Corolla Executive which only came in 1.6 litre (same engine as in the Carina E afaik).
    Also, did any of these (Corolla/Starlet) have split fold rear seats or any other features? I know the Corolla saloon didn't have folding rear seats at all, which seemed pretty lame since even the older Mazda 323s did.

Toyota for some reason only seemed to fit split folding rear seats to their hatchback models. The current Corolla saloon doesn't have it afaik. Even up to recently the Avensis saloon only had a split folding rear seat on the Luna and Sol models. A very handy feature indeed, should be standard across the range.

To my knowledge the Irish Starlet had both 1.0 litre and 1.3 litre 12 valve carburetor petrol engines until about 1992. The car then got a catalytic converter as per EU regulations. This did away with the 1.0 litre engine and only a 1.3 litre 12 valve engine with electronic fuel injection was available. When the last Starlet model arrived in 1996 it used the same 1.3 litre EFi 16 valve engine from the Corolla.

So to recap:
    1990 - 1992 Starlet - 1.0 & 1.3 litre 12 valve.
    1992 - 1995 Starlet - 1.3 litre EFi 12 valve.
    1996 - 1999 Starlet - 1.3 litre EFi 16 valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

bazz26 wrote:
    The Sprinter was sold in Japan as the Corolla Sprinter or something from the 1980s right up to the mid 1990s. A neighbour had a 93 diesel Sprinter Jap import a few years ago. They were 1.5 litre petrol and 2.0 diesel.
    The Sprinter was sold just as the Toyota Sprinter in Japan, as a slightly upmarket sister car to the Corolla (replaced by the Allex in 2001), with all the same engines. What I was saying that the E100 liftback was apparently never sold in Japan - the previous model (E90 1987-1991) was sold as the Spinter Cielo there, but they got nothing afterwards - which is weird. Besides the liftback there's a saloon, estate, hardtop (Marino), and the coupe (Trueno).
    The Sprinter liftback sold here had 1.3 litre and 1.6 litre engines I think. UK imports were called the Corolla Executive which only came in 1.6 litre (same engine as in the Carina E afaik).
    Yeah it'd be the 4A-FE, which is the same as in the Carina E/Corona. Dunno about the weird 1.6 "Lean Burn" Carina they had here for a while - can't find *anything* on the net about that!

To my knowledge the Irish Starlet had both 1.0 litre and 1.3 litre 12 valve carburetor petrol engines until about 1992. The car then got a catalytic converter as per EU regulations. This did away with the 1.0 litre engine and only a 1.3 litre 12 valve engine with electronic fuel injection was available. When the last Starlet model arrived in 1996 it used the same 1.3 litre EFi 16 valve engine from the Corolla.

So to recap:
    1990 - 1992 Starlet - 1.0 & 1.3 litre 12 valve.
    1992 - 1995 Starlet - 1.3 litre EFi 12 valve.
    1996 - 1999 Starlet - 1.3 litre EFi 16 valve.
    Oh, I wasn't aware of the 12 valve EFI - I was judging by this hideously outdated site that it still had the carb till 1996, though that sounded dodgy. And checking my November 1993 What Car? magazine (I knew it'd come in handy eventually :D ) shows a 1296cc Starlet with "single-point fuel injection" and 74bhp. Still a bit ghey compared to what they got in Japan:

1989 (P80 Mk. 4): 1.3 DOHC 16v carb (4E-F), 1.3 DOHC 16v EFI (4E-FE), 1.3 DOHC 16v Turbo (4E-FTE), 1.5 OHC Diesel (1N)
    1990: 4WD versions introduced
    1992: 4E-F dropped
    1996 (P90 Mk. 5): Same engines

I wonder why they gave us the crappy engines from the Mk. 3 with the Mk. 4 even though the car was built in the same place, and why they didn't sell the diesel (could have sold well in van form)? It boggles the mind...

Advertisement