Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XP Repair help

• 15-09-2006 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭

My friends PC recently started acting up and would not boot to the OS. (XP Pro). It loads to where it's about to load the welcome screen and then reboots.
    After numerous attempts to repair using an XP cd, I believe more damage has been done.
    Whilst repairing, Windows asked for a cd to install drivers for the video card. However, the mouse or keyboard would not work to select this so setup was cancelled. (PC switched off). I have since discovered the problem was due to them being USB devices and I did not know at the time that a setting in the BIOS could put this right.

Anyway, when now attempting to repair, the message " Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API" comes up and the PC reboots. I believe the drive has run out of free space due to the numerous xp repair attempts.

So the question is, is it possible to delete data from the drive without connecting it to another PC as a slave drive eg through the recovery console?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep you can use the Windows XP cd to delete the current partition and then reinstall from scratch. The existing Windows installation will be detected, so just go ahead and bypass the repair by hitting ESC. I think after that it is D to delete, select the format option and then install Windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ruu wrote:
    Yep you can use the Windows XP cd to delete the current partition and then reinstall from scratch.

He doesn't want to lose his data though. If I remember correctly, there was at least 15 gig of free space left on the drive. Could that fill up by attempting multiple repairs? When attempting to repair windows copies a lot of files. Wouldn't these files overwrite each other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

JPA wrote:
    He doesn't want to lose his data though. If I remember correctly, there was at least 15 gig of free space left on the drive. Could that fill up by attempting multiple repairs? When attempting to repair windows copies a lot of files. Wouldn't these files overwrite each other?

No idea if XP repair would fill up the drive, I doubt it, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    Best option would be to plug the HD into another machine recover the data, format and start from scratch.

On a related topic which may help, is it possible to install XP on a dvd and boot from it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JPA wrote:
    On a related topic which may help, is it possible to install XP on a dvd and boot from it?
    google bartpe

• Advertisement

google bartpe

I'll try that. thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

if you know what you are looking for, you could boot from a 98 boot disk and delete any stuff you didnt want in dos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moved from comp/tech

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

pred racer wrote:
    if you know what you are looking for, you could boot from a 98 boot disk and delete any stuff you didnt want in dos.
    unfortunatley NTFS is what is suppled on most pre-installs, and most XP CD's

you can use ntfsdos to read files form the hard drive in dos though

if deleting files using the recovery console, remember * doesn't work so it's one by one :(

Advertisement