Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?!?!

• 15-09-2006 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi all!

not sure if this is the right forum to be posting in but need advice on broadband. if it's better suited to a different forum go ahead and move it...

so heres the deal: 4 of us students in limerick after moving into house and want to get broadband in -cheap. no need for phone but will take it if needs be. ordered digiweb but they came and said signal was blocked by 3-storey next door. thought irish broadband signal could reach us.

looking at irish broadband ripwave. just €20 a month.

we all want to use it at same time and have wireless laptops. we need a router i believe?! irish broadband charge €109 for it but i see there are some on ebay for around €20.

so, will these routers work with the ripwave thing?

searched ebay.ie for wireless router, if anyone could suggest a good one (some for 1c, hardly any good?!?)

you're advice on this would be muchly appreciated!!!

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

shaneq wrote:
    looking at irish broadband ripwave. just €20 a month.

we all want to use it at same time and have wireless laptops. we need a router i believe?! irish broadband charge €109 for it but i see there are some on ebay for around €20.

so, will these routers work with the ripwave thing?
    A "Broadband router" will work with Ripwave, but based on the collective experience of the boards.ie readership, you'll be very sorry if you go with ripwave.

Bite the bullet and get a phoneline in. A 3MB DSL connection will cost you €50/month, including line rental. That's €12.50/head, less than 1 pint per week!

(I can't believe I'm even mentioning it, but if you're only going to be in the house for 6 or 8 months, you might even just get DSL from Eircom. Free connection, free wireless modem so no upfront fees, but your monthly cost is going to be higher).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

might be worth a shot asking if you can test ripwave for a week or month to see if it will fulfil your needs. no idea if they'd go for that or not, but it might be worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

vibe666 wrote:
    might be worth a shot asking if you can test ripwave for a week or month to see if it will fulfil your needs. no idea if they'd go for that or not, but it might be worth a shot.
    AFAK, there's no minimum comtract with Ripwave, so you can cancel the contract after a month, but I don't know what the deal is with the hardware. I'd imagine they'd want it back, because it must cost more than whatever they're charging for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there you go then, doesn't sound like you have too much to lose to give it a go and test it out.

if it's crap then send it back. :)

i'm sure there's a few happy ripwave customers out there somewhere, maybe you'll be one of them. stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You'd need a ripwave each. It's too slow to share.
    Options in Limerick depending on area are:
    LLU Smart or BT
    Eircom ADSL
    UTV, Digiweb, Smart, BT etc resale of Eircom ADSL

Or IBB ripwave (64k to 200kbps 20 Euro, performance varies)
    Or Digiweb Metro (up to 6Mbps, or for 20 Euro 1Mbps)

A few areas have UPC cable broadband (Chorus). Unlikly if the premisis has an MMDS aerial.

Shoot any one you doing file sharing... not friendly for the others on fast services that have a Cap, or on the slow services that don't have a Cap :)

If you have adsl on phone Maplin and PC World do ADSL routers with Wireless (WiFi). If it is not ADSL, then PC World has similar models to the ADSL ones with Ethernet instead of ADSL port.

Also if you order ADSL on a phone line many operators give a WiFi router now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement